X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
    The coffee / record shop next to the Colisseum in London had (yesterday) a couple of copies of the Bernstein Symphony edition for £70.

Was VERY tempted but have purchased far too much lately.....
    I got it at German Amazon (cheaper than UK for some reason). After 6 Euro postage you end up paying about the same.

Comment

• hafod
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Not sure about this one - http://www.selections.com/DVD5932/gu...gural-concert/ - Dudamel's inagural LAPO concert with Mahler 1.

Some of Dudamel's Mahler is really very good.
      To the £6.99 price tag add £2.95 delivery. Play.com has it for £5.77 delivered.

http://www.play.com/Music/MusicDVD/-/12159847/-/Product.html?source=9593&_$ja=tsid:11853|prd:10256 3&awc=1418_1324419448_f3d76a7eba2f66f0769c0c19c9b0 d0c9

Comment

• murieston

Hmv still have a umber of really good bargains.
        Jonas Kaufmann in verismo arias for £3.99 http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;209&sku=30195
        The Nelson Freire disc of Liszt Harmonies du soir for under a fiver. If you buy only one disc of Liszt make it this one - it's stunning. http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;209&sku=92688
        There are a number of other really good bargains if you can skip past the Katherine Jenkins, Alfie Boe stuff. Some of the offers are brilliant including a few of Cecilia Bartoli's recital discs all for under a fiver. The Elgarelectrical recordings are still £11.99 http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...209&sku=963342 I think they've been mentioned here before.

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

I wandered into the big HMV on Oxford Street and didn't see much that tempted me. It's not reasonable to expect them to compete on price with www companies but some of the prices were just silly..... I ended up not buying anything which perhaps says something about how doomed they are.

However I then went into Harry Moores and was ecstatic to find the Celi/Munich Bartok disc - the ONLY disc I lack from the EMI/Munich series.

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

I wandered into the big HMV on Oxford Street and didn't see much that tempted me. It's not reasonable to expect them to compete on price with www companies but some of the prices were just silly..... I ended up not buying anything which perhaps says something about how doomed they are.

However I then went into Harry Moores and was ecstatic to find the Celi/Munich Bartok disc - the ONLY disc I lack from the EMI/Munich series.
            To be fair, they did have the Barenboim Chicago Bruckner set for £30 which is a very good price.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

To be fair, they did have the Barenboim Chicago Bruckner set for £30 which is a very good price.
              Which is £5.01 more than I paid at yes, HMV on line, who also have advertised the Furtwangler EMI 21CD box for £24.99 - currently awaiting stock on my order.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                To the £6.99 price tag add £2.95 delivery. Play.com has it for £5.77 delivered.

http://www.play.com/Music/MusicDVD/-/12159847/-/Product.html?source=9593&_$ja=tsid:11853|prd:10256 3&awc=1418_1324419448_f3d76a7eba2f66f0769c0c19c9b0 d0c9
                I agree, but if you spread the delivery cost over muliple purchases it tends to be less significant. I've seemingly not hit the bar mentioned by Bryn and others (I probably should have!), so tacked this onto an order for the Strauss box.

I agree about single purchases. Also i think Selections are usually fairly reliable, while I've not always been so successful with play.com

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

If anyone wants PMD's Naxos quartets, maybe this is the way to get them - http://www.zavvi.com/cd/elysium.sear...bWVudDpjZCE%3D
                  £12.95 for the box of 5.

Are they any good?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    If anyone wants PMD's Naxos quartets, maybe this is the way to get them - £12.95 for the box of 5.

Are they any good?
                    Yes. And they get better heard as a cycle. And this is £7 cheaper than I bought them!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Stunsworth
                      • Nov 2010

I gave in yesterday and ordered the big Strauss box from Amazon. Ordered from marketplace seller Regis records for £45. Shipped today.
                      Steve

Comment

• PJPJ
                        • Nov 2010

Riches galore from United Archives - the odd Amazon seller may be cheaper.....

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/search/...dArchives1211/
                          Check out, using title and performer information, via amazon.co.uk marketplace. I just used it to order the Chapuis Bach organ works from Harmonia Mundi for £25.25 including p&p.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/search/...dArchives1211/
                            Good to see them available again, though I already have the one I want (Beethoven Budapest Mk1) from the first time round.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              the Chapuis Bach organ works .
                              the Chapuis is a lovely thing to have, and has over the years given me hours of pleasure. I wdn't say it shd be the first set of Bach organ works to have - it has a decidedly French flair - but for those who already have some more austere Bach it is certainly a great addition...

[ I suppose my more austere choices wd tend twds Gerhard Weinberger, Hans Fagius, and Jacques van Oortmerssen. Those who like the French flair (I certainly do... ) might also like to try Olivier Vernet, and of course André Isoir. Bernard Foccroulle is another favourite of mine. And then in another tradition there's Lionel Rogg. And Werner Jacob. And Wolfgang Stockmeier. ... ]

But the Chapuis is lovely - and at this price! [ I can't recall HOW many pounds I paid for it when it first came out - on LPs and as a CD set... ]

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                the Chapuis is a lovely thing to have, and has over the years given me hours of pleasure. I wdn't say it shd be the first set of Bach organ works to have - it has a decidedly French flair - but for those who already have some more austere Bach it is certainly a great addition...

[ I suppose my more austere choices wd tend twds Gerhard Weinberger, Hans Fagius, and Jacques van Oortmerssen. Those who like the French flair (I certainly do... ) might also like to try Olivier Vernet, and of course André Isoir. Bernard Foccroulle is another favourite of mine. And then in another tradition there's Lionel Rogg. And Werner Jacob. And Wolfgang Stockmeier. ... ]

But the Chapuis is lovely - and at this price! [ I can't recall HOW many pounds I paid for it when it first came out - on LPs and as a CD set... ]
                                Which organ or organs does Chapuis play on in this set? I don't know too much about organs or Chapuis, so went to listen to some off Napster. Some organs Chapuis has played on are very odd - e.g the Chapel of Versailles organ, but others sound a bit more like I'm used to. I have a few other organ sets/recordings, including some by Ton Koopman, and the ones in the big Brilliant Bach set. i recall Lionel Rogg (on LP) with affection. Does Chapuis throw new light on some of these pieces, either by his playing, or just the sound/registration of the organs used?

You're tempting me again, but reading this and similar threads is starting to have serious financial impact!

Of course there are a couple of completely free download or streaming sets of Bach organ music, though perhaps not as good as some of the recordings mentioned here.

PS: One of the free sets is by James Kibble - http://www.blockmrecords.org/bach/ I'll try to locate the other one I've seen.

PPS: Not sure that I can find the other set I knew about before, but I found this by Dennis Schmidt - http://www.bach-net.org/download.aspx The organ sounds good, though there is hiss/background noise. It might come from the organ, or from the digital compression.
                                Last edited by Dave2002; 24-12-11, 08:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X