X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    I just searched the CD section for Grumiaux.
    Like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...&condition=new for 10 CDs.

Not sure whether the Documents transfers are good - but at these prices they could be good enough.

The Art of the Violin set (Regis) is only 7 CDs - I think missing the Bach - and is sometimes available very cheaply - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...n=new&qid=&sr= (but not right now ...)

Comment

• Conchis
      Banned
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...&condition=new

Not sure whether the Documents transfers are good - but at these prices they could be good enough.

The Art of the Violin set is only 7CDs - I think missing the Bach - and is sometimes available very cheaply - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...n=new&qid=&sr= (but not right now ...)
      I think Documents is the Membran label, trading under another name.

I've always felt their transfers are OK - the ones on the recent Rudolf Schock box were excellent, imo - though the quality will necessarily depend on the source and some of their sources are radio broadcasts. I can't say I've ever felt dissatisfied with their releases.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
        I think Documents is the Membran label, trading under another name.

I've always felt their transfers are OK - the ones on the recent Rudolf Schock box were excellent, imo - though the quality will necessarily depend on the source and some of their sources are radio broadcasts. I can't say I've ever felt dissatisfied with their releases.
        I have the recordings of the Beethoven Sonatas in the Brilliant Classics Complete Beethoven box, (licensed from Decca, so unlikely to be questionable transfers from LP pressings). Some of the other items are tempting but I will seek out versions from the original master tapes, I think.

Comment

• jpegasus
          • May 2017

I have the recordings of the Beethoven Sonatas in the Brilliant Classics Complete Beethoven box, (licensed from Decca, so unlikely to be questionable transfers from LP pressings). Some of the other items are tempting but I will seek out versions from the original master tapes, I think.
          This Decca Grumiaux box has just appeared:

No remastering info though.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jpegasus View Post
            This Decca Grumiaux box has just appeared:

No remastering info though.
            Looks good, though does anyone know if there is really any advantage in having some of the (presumably) older mono recordings over some of his later stereo ones?

There is a wider selection of pieces in this collection, which may make it attractive to some, but there are a number of "standards" - though with conductors and orchestras less well known nowadays. Who is this aimed at? [to pick up a question posed about another box set recently ....]

Plus of course - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...words=Grumiaux

Comment

• Conchis
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

Did anyone else pick up the Art of Hermann Scherchen box, recently?

There is virtually NO pause between the movements of the Beethoven symphonies. In fact, on some discs, there's no pause between different symphonies! Never come across this before...

Comment

• mathias broucek
                • Nov 2010

Some terrific download deals on Qobuz

Krivine's complete Beethoven symphonies for less than £5 and Minkowski's Schubert and Haydn boxes at similarly silly money.

On the front page there's a % reduction offer. Click that, go to the 50% off section and filter for classical (sorry, can't paste link on this device)

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                  Some terrific download deals on Qobuz

Krivine's complete Beethoven symphonies for less than £5 and Minkowski's Schubert and Haydn boxes at similarly silly money.

On the front page there's a % reduction offer. Click that, go to the 50% off section and filter for classical (sorry, can't paste link on this device)
                  All 9 volumes of the Beethoven Piano Sonatas played by PB-S on period instruments are there too, at €4 each volume.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                    • Mar 2013

This search brought up some interesting forthcoming box sets: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...2Ck%3Abox+sets

e.g. Maria Callas: The Live Recordings - 2017 Edition (42CD & 3Blu-ray) £86.91

Rattle's Complete Mahler - £20

Ashkenazy Piano & Chamber - £97

etc.
                    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Oh yes, I saw the new Callas box, too. I am still only two thirds of the way through the studio recordings box, just never seem to have the time. I don't think I will bother with the live recordings, how about anyone else?

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                        This search brought up some interesting forthcoming box sets: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...2Ck%3Abox+sets

e.g. Maria Callas: The Live Recordings - 2017 Edition (42CD & 3Blu-ray) £86.91

Rattle's Complete Mahler - £20

Ashkenazy Piano & Chamber - £97

etc.
                        The rather expensive Bernstein box - available November - lists some, but not all, items as remastered. I think I've already got some/many of those recordings - but does remastering from that source (usually CBS) generally improve things? When Sony were releasing SACDs some were held to be very good, indicating that the masters were good and could deliver good quality for commercial releases.

Weren't some of these also in other (cheapish?) boxes recently? I have the Symphonies box - didn't get round to the others.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          The rather expensive Bernstein box - available November - lists some, but not all, items as remastered. I think I've already got some/many of those recordings - but does remastering from that source (usually CBS) generally improve things? When Sony were releasing SACDs some were held to be very good, indicating that the masters were good and could deliver good quality for commercial releases.

Weren't some of these also in other (cheapish?) boxes recently? I have the Symphonies box - didn't get round to the others.
                          The Concertos and orchestral works box ( presumably un- remastered ) is still available on Amazon .It for about £65 delivered to the UK. Might be a good option if you have the symphonies box.
                          Or buy the remastered box, and I'll give you a few bob for the symphonies box, which I don't have ....
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Eager to acquire a 9CD set, Fritz Busch at Glyndebourne; Figaro, Don Giovanni. Cosi fan Tutte, and Idomeneo, available from the river people at £15 04! I've misplaced several of the cherished sets over the years and always long for them when I revisit two biographies; Moran Caplat's, Dinghies to Divas, Collins, 1985 & Fifty Years of Glyndebourne, John Julius Norwich, Jonathan Cape, 1985. So many personalities including John Christie, Rudolph Bing, Beecham, Gui, Birgit Nilsson, Audrey Christie, Hugues Cuenod, George Solti, Carl Ebert etc.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                              Eager to acquire a 9CD set, Fritz Busch at Glyndebourne; Figaro, Don Giovanni. Cosi fan Tutte, and Idomeneo, available from the river people at £15 04! I've misplaced several of the cherished sets over the years and always long for them when I revisit two biographies; Moran Caplat's, Dinghies to Divas, Collins, 1985 & Fifty Years of Glyndebourne, John Julius Norwich, Jonathan Cape, 1985. So many personalities including John Christie, Rudolph Bing, Beecham, Gui, Birgit Nilsson, Audrey Christie, Hugues Cuenod, George Solti, Carl Ebert etc.
                              At that price I was expecting it to be a Membran job, but it's Warner. Duly ordered.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

At that price I was expecting it to be a Membran job, but it's Warner. Duly ordered.
                                Thanks, Bryn. My set arrived, yesterday, after a stint of gardening, a skull-tinkling
                                moment as I savoured the choice. Fritz Busch is featured on each disc sleeve with a change of colour to indicate the name of the composer in the heading and an imprint of the the maestro on the bottom right-hand side. The 28 page booklet has liner notes by Tilly Potter together with a catalogue of immigrants who subsequently enrichened a new age for the arts in this country. Bless 'em all!

I couldn't wait and instantly played Act I of Figaro, rec 1934/35 and splendidly remastered to reveal the energy of the performances; names such as Willi Domgraf-Fassbaender, (Figaro), Audrey Mildmay, (Susanna), Roy Henderson, (Count), Aulikki Rautawaara,, Countess - the mix of the ensemble for me 'the personification of absolute perfection'!
                                I'm no techie and can only respond to Rumour's entreaty, "Open your ears...", Act I,
                                Henry IV, Pt II. And Sena Jurinacs' Ilia, (Idomeneo) awaits me on CD 9 - doubt whether I can wait that long. Doubt, too, that I'll get anything better this year. A steal at £15+.

Comment

Working...
                                X