X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... excruciatingly exciting update - latest news :

"Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on April 07 2017.

Various Artists "Richard Strauss - Complete Operas (DG box set)"
    Estimated arrival date: July 25 2017 - August 07 2017 "

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... excruciatingly exciting update - latest news :

"Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on April 07 2017.

Various Artists "Richard Strauss - Complete Operas (DG box set)"
      Estimated arrival date: July 25 2017 - August 07 2017 "

They will all cone together when they come
      there'll be no further reason to be glum ...

[Will apologies to Tom Lehrer.]

Comment

• hafod
        • Nov 2010

The Bohm Icon box is a ‘must have’ for me and I was quite excited by the NYPO box as I went down the contents list - Rodzinski and lots of Mitropolos despite the Walter and Toscanini duplications. Sadly, the large amount of Bernstein that followed and, to a lesser extent, Boulez brought too many duplications so I am passing on it.

Amazon Italy also has the Heifetz stereo box for a good price (€45). Does anyone know how many discs are duplicated by the Heifetz/Piatigorsky box?

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by hafod View Post
          http://bons-plans-classique.blogspot.co.uk/

The Bohm Icon box is a ‘must have’ for me and I was quite excited by the NYPO box as I went down the contents list - Rodzinski and lots of Mitropolos despite the Walter and Toscanini duplications. Sadly, the large amount of Bernstein that followed and, to a lesser extent, Boulez brought too many duplications so I am passing on it.

Amazon Italy also has the Heifetz stereo box for a good price (€45). Does anyone know how many discs are duplicated by the Heifetz/Piatigorsky box?
          Its a pleasure to see a post from you Hafod. Firstly, there's a high chance of there being a tip off as to, err, a real Bargain. (One way or another not so many these days...).

And secondly it won't likely be one of numerous posts about Amazon's evasive tactics to eventually cancel the Strauss Operas box set - or in the increasingly unlikely event that the posts move to actual dispatch, the details of when it was delivered/non-delivered/left with (which) neighbour/when the recipient got home to open it etc. I can't imagine the multiple grief stricken posts should (when?) Amazon eventually cancels the order. (And yes, as I've posted, I'll admit I too am waiting for it). (If they cancel - class action, anybody?)

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
            Its a pleasure to see a post from you Hafod. Firstly, there's a high chance of there being a tip off as to, err, a real Bargain. (One way or another not so many these days...).

And secondly it won't likely be one of numerous posts about Amazon's evasive tactics to eventually cancel the Strauss Operas box set - or in the increasingly unlikely event that the posts move to actual dispatch, the details of when it was delivered/non-delivered/left with (which) neighbour/when the recipient got home to open it etc. I can't imagine the multiple grief stricken posts should (when?) Amazon eventually cancels the order. (And yes, as I've posted, I'll admit I too am waiting for it). (If they cancel - class action, anybody?)
            Concerning the Karl Bohm 'Icon' 19 CD box set 'The Early Years' on Warner. Recorded over the period 1935-49 the sound quality although remastered will not to everyones taste. With many of the works I was unable to appreciate the playing through the 1930s sound. I have to say that the playing of the predominant Staatskapelle Dresden is of a remarkably high quality.
            Last edited by Stanfordian; 12-07-17, 14:14.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              Concerning the Karl Bohm 'Icon' 19 CD box set 'The Early Years' on Warner. Recorded over the period 1935-49 the sound quality although remastred will not to everyones taste.
              (For those who can access Naxos Music Library, streamed, the Bohm Icon should find its way there** - there are lots of Icon boxes there available to listen to (Label List - Warner Parlophone - find "Icon" under the initial "I" on Warner Parlophone). (its not there yet, but this is a recent issue).

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

The Bohm Icon box is also on Spotify and I've been giving it a listen. An excellent Meistersinger Act 3, a marvellous Todesverkundigung with Flagstad and Svanholm and an equally good Tristan Act 2. Also listened to a bit of the Bruckner 5. Sound quality generally good. I'm hovering over the buy button at the moment but will probably pull the trigger before too long.

Thanks, hafod. My heart always misses a beat when I see your name on here.

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

A marketplace seller (musicMagpie) has a single 'VG' copy of the 65 disc set of the New York Philharmonic 175th Anniversary going for £34.99! Read the Amazon reviews first if unfamiliar with the contents and lost opportunities (and duplication with other large boxes from the Sony stable).

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

A marketplace seller (musicMagpie) has a single 'VG' copy of the 65 disc set of the New York Philharmonic 175th Anniversary going for £34.99! Read the Amazon reviews first if unfamiliar with the contents and lost opportunities (and duplication with other large boxes from the Sony stable).
                    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...d=AZFAVK42ANC5
                    I've been dithering about this box - and was almost tempted by the current Amazon Italy price - but £34.99 was too good to ignore. I will believe it when I see it but, once again, all thanks to Hafod for spotting this! I owe you, yet again!

Comment

• hafod
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      I've been dithering about this box - and was almost tempted by the current Amazon Italy price - but £34.99 was too good to ignore. I will believe it when I see it but, once again, all thanks to Hafod for spotting this! I owe you, yet again!
                      Delighted that a forum member has bagged it.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Great teamwork chaps !!
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Delighted that a forum member has bagged it.
                          I'm almost embarrassed to be admitting it - in the context of the mythical Richard Strauss DG box - but it has duly arrived, all CDs present and no obvious reason why it should have designated as "Used". So heartfelt thanks again to Hafod for flagging it up - 50p per CD seems like a bargain to me ...

Comment

• hafod
                            • Nov 2010

RCO 125 - The Radio Legacy: Anthology of the RCO (152 discs) is £264.50 at MDT! The offer is available until 29 August.

I previously dithered on this issue when I found a price of £410 soon after it first came out mainly because I already had vols 2,5,6 & 7. Reading around recently I discovered that 5 further sets were included amounting to 48 discs centred on Mengelberg, Van Beinum, Haitink, Chaillly and Jansons. Given this price and the additional material I have ordered a copy. (I thought about getting a second as an ‘investment’ but it may prove to be a poor one if cds become even less popular).

Full contents and some reviews here:
                            Last edited by hafod; 24-07-17, 08:45.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

RCO 125 - The Radio Legacy: Anthology of the RCO (152 discs) is £264.50 at MDT! The offer is available until 29 August.

I previously dithered on this issue when I found a price of £410 soon after it first came out mainly because I already had vols 2,5,6 & 7. Reading around recently I discovered that 5 further sets were included amounting to 48 discs centred on Mengelberg, Van Beinum, Haitink, Chaillly and Jansons. Given this price and the additional material I have ordered a copy. (I thought about getting a second as an ‘investment’ but it may prove to be a poor one if cds become even less an popular).

Full contents and some reviews here:
                              http://www.classicalcdreview.com/rcoa125.html
                              This is sooooo tempting! I only have the Haitink box and I'm sorely tempted to get this big box while I can. Currently £800.61 on Amazon . My resistance is weakening by the second...
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Do not hesitate. I got it direct from the Netherlands at the time of its release. It cost rather more than the current MDT price, but I do not at all regret having 'jumped the gun' by a few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X