• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    Perhaps we could have a thread purely comparing the progress of order tracking of a particular bargain box set from a certain company - it would certainly be far longer than many BaL threads.

Or, better still, perhaps someone could incorporate the discussion into the dialogue of an opera (neo-Straussian?) - perhaps it already forms part of the dialogue in The Exterminating Angel?
    Well, many of us do have interesting character names for such a work, rather like Vladimir, Estragon, Lucky, and Pozzo, in Waiting for Godot!

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        Thanks very much Beefy, and everyone else who was kind enough to wish me a Happy Birthday. Not really any time for a playlist as I'm so busy at work, but I think were I at home for a few hours, I would indulge again in those recently bought Naive Vivaldi concerto discs. I get such constant pleasure from them.

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Currently, on Amazon:

Rachmaninov, Complete RCA Recordings - 10 CDs: all S.R.'s work for the label, with some help from 'heavy friend' Fritz Kreisler - £9.99

Rudolf Schock: Wagner Operas - 10CDs: Schock features in recordings of Lohengrin, Hollander and the Froh scenes from Das Rheingold; the prize here, though ,is a reissue of Kempe's wonderful Meistersinger recording (OOP in Britain since the early 90s), arguably the best ever made. Mono sound but a perfect balance, with singers well in front of the orchestra. The ....Hollander is the Konwitschny recording, featuring DFD in the title role. Well worth £10.99 of anyone's money.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

This one, I assume - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sergei-Rach...MF1KSK1G1FXC42

This for the Wagner perhaps - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Oper...=rudolf+schock

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              From experience, should they be the Ikea ones they benefit from being fixed to the wall.
              Not Ikea, but possibly similar: shelfstore.
              CD Shelves and CD Shelving that you can plan online to fit your space, only from Shelving System

Yes, getting a joiner to remedy the situation by fixing to the wall is high on the list of how to sort it all out!
              :slightlyhappierface:

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                CD Shelves and CD Shelving that you can plan online to fit your space, only from Shelving System

Yes, getting a joiner to remedy the situation by fixing to the wall is high on the list of how to sort it all out!
                It seems that the story that Alkan died by being hit by a falling bookcase has now been relegated to fake news - due to alternative facts.

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I use the Ikea shelving but strengthened the set-up by screwing a sheet (8'x4') of thin plywood across the back. It is also attached to the wall (stud partition) simply for stability not strength.

An extreme case of getting it wrong!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                    I use the Ikea shelving but strengthened the set-up by screwing a sheet (8'x4') of thin plywood across the back. It is also attached to the wall (stud partition) simply for stability not strength.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-22xDxv4C-W...s1600/ikea.jpg
                    Oh: mine was in some ways worse than that.
                    At least those seemed to be relatively well 'in position' and hence their order salvageable; mine all fell/slid out in one great long heap!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      It seems that the story that Alkan died by being hit by a falling bookcase has now been relegated to fake news - due to alternative facts.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-22xDxv4C-W...s1600/ikea.jpg
                        Wow! At least that seems to have gone sideways.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Bump!

I et al have taken this thread off-topic, so here’s to getting back on.

Has anyone looked at this?

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          Richard Barrett - life-from / nacht und träume / Blattwerk

16 bit CD quality download available from Qobuz for just £7.99 - - - http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/search?q=...ett&i=boutique

This is a serious bargain (and the Hi-Res version is just £11.99)

2-CD set containing three substantial works for 'cello and electronics (and piano in the case of nacht und träume).

A number of us bought the CDs on pre-order last year and were knocked sideways when they arrived and we heard the astonishing music contained on the discs. Those CDs were about £18 and currently the Hi-Res download is about $30 on one site - shows what a bargain this Qobuz download is.

Virtuoso 'cello playing of the very highest order from Arne Deforce, especially on life-form, IMHO and profoundly skilled and sensitive piano from Yutaka Oya. Additionally, with Richard Barrett on electronics, the separation of composer and performer that has occurred since the ability to write down music was developed, is suspended on this recording.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Bumpety-bump (for anyone still undecided about forking out a mere £7.99):

Review by Tim Rutherford-Johnson Works for cello have often appeared at important junctures in Barrett’s output. Ne songe plus à fuir was one of his earliest experiments in composing with the essential structural features of the instrument (and the player’s interactions with it), as a way of rep
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Bumpety-bump (for anyone still undecided about forking out a mere £7.99):

http://www.musicandliterature.org/re...lo-electronics
                              Or else - http://open.qobuz.com/album/3760058360484

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Quite!
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X