• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

A fleeting moment of excitement following an email from Amazon:
    Your order.........has been dispatched.

For 1 kg of black peppercorns, ordered the day before the Strauss!

Comment

• hafod
      • Nov 2010

The following is copied from the S-DCB thread on the GMG Classical Music Forum. Despite the odds, good to see an independent fighting back and with a sense of humour.

[quote author=Paul@Presto link=topic=4431.msg1053878#msg1053878 date=1491598319]

Given my professional interest I really shouldn't be posting this...

but amazon.co.uk has the Complete Strauss opera box on DG for £11.31

Hopefully they will honour the price and sell them at a loss, causing them to lose massive amounts of money and go out of business :D[/quote]

I am Product Manager @ Presto Classical, an independent online & physical music retailer based in Leamington Spa, England. If you need to contact Presto about an order please email info@prestoclassical.co.ukrather than me directly, and our team will help you.

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Have finally succumbed to you know what
        Arriving: Thursday, April 20 - Wednesday, May 3.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

MMMMmmmm. Are we all just opportunists? Maybe.

I shalln't be too sorry if it doesn't happen, though it would be a terrific bargain if it does materialise.

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            . Are we all just opportunists?
            Opportunist, moi? - Anyone in favour of closing down "Bargains"? - Thought not.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

I see it is now £52.87!

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

I think the bargain price will probably be honoured, given that it was clearly not a mistake (it remained at bargain price for over 48 hours and was listed as a bestseller). The only snag might be that demand might have exceeded supply.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                  I'd have to keep them wrapped in brown paper like my 1 Mahler disc, to avoid losing any street cred I might still have.
                  Street cred for not liking Mahler? Where are you from, the 1950s?

Comment

• Conchis
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    Street cred for not liking Mahler? Where are you from, the 1950s?
                    Not liking Mahler nowadays is a bit like not liking the Beatles in the 60s. Most people liked them but you were considered 'ultra-cool' if you didn't and listened to 'modern jazz' instead.

In his uncompleted autobiography Putting The Record straight, the late John Culshaw gives a vivid description of his own Mahlerphobia ('like having snakes writhing inside my clothing', if memory serves) and of the agonies he went through recording the approachable 4th symphony with Solti.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                      Not liking Mahler nowadays is a bit like not liking the Beatles in the 60s. Most people liked them but you were considered 'ultra-cool' if you didn't and listened to 'modern jazz' instead.
                      I liked the Beatles in the 1960s; but then I was only ten when they split up and I hadn't yet heard any modern jazz.

As for Strauss, I had a bit of a fling with his operas in 1991 and tried to hear recordings of all of them, which was no mean feat in those days; by the time I finally got to Friedenstag I had more or less lost interest. For me it's Salome, Elektra, some of Rosenkavalier, bits of Daphne and Capriccio, and the rest has very little impact. I'm quite looking forward to the (putative) prospect of listening to all of them in order though. I'm sure there'll be a few pleasant surprises.

Comment

• Conchis
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2014

I liked the Beatles in the 1960s; but then I was only ten when they split up and I hadn't yet heard any modern jazz.

As for Strauss, I had a bit of a fling with his operas in 1991 and tried to hear recordings of all of them, which was no mean feat in those days; by the time I finally got to Friedenstag I had more or less lost interest. For me it's Salome, Elektra, some of Rosenkavalier, bits of Daphne and Capriccio, and the rest has very little impact. I'm quite looking forward to the (putative) prospect of listening to all of them in order though. I'm sure there'll be a few pleasant surprises.
                        There is definitely something of interest in all of them, although there is definitely a 'purple period' beginning with Salome and ending (imo) with Die Frau One Schatten, after which things become very spotty. Strauss was a dutiful craftsman and would put in a full day's work wether he felt inspired or not. This led to a lot of very average stuff in his later years.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

I have no kick against modern jazz
                          Unless they try to play it too darn fast
                          And change the beauty of the melody
                          Until they sound just like a symphony

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I have no kick against modern jazz
                            Unless they try to play it too darn fast
                            And change the beauty of the melody
                            Until they sound just like a symphony
                            Exactly! And the faster the better. (And the more bulbous.)

Well, I ordered three other items at the same time as this box and I've just been informed they (but not it) are on their way. Doesn't seem hopeful.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                              • Nov 2010

Well, I ordered three other items at the same time as this box and I've just been informed they (but not it) are on their way. Doesn't seem hopeful.
                              But the delivery for the Strauss box was approx. 4 weeks, so it would be perfectly normal for it not to ship yes (yes I 'bought' one too).
                              Steve

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                                But the delivery for the Strauss box was approx. 4 weeks, so it would be perfectly normal for it not to ship yes (yes I 'bought' one too).
                                I asked for my three items in the Strauss order to be sent together for pick-up at the local post office. They are still shown as being sheduled for dispatch on May 1st, and to be delivered between April 20th and 4th May.

Comment

Working...
                                X