X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Plus also the piano discs are only slightly cheaper at jpc.de than the larger box at am.fr from the mp seller. I'm not sloshed!
    Adding in the €6 delivery charge for jpc produces a tiny difference and you get an extra 28 discs effectively thrown in if it is just the piano music that's wanted. Moreover, one can pay in sterling at AmFr but at jpc there are credit card fees. Should we now pick the bones out of the greater shelf space the larger box will take up?

Larger box at jpc (€60 + delivery)
    Die CD Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach: Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach Edition jetzt portofrei kaufen. Mehr von Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach gibt es im Shop.

Separate box of piano works at jpc (€40 + delivery)

Larger box at AmFr MP seller (£41.50 delivered)

No-brainer!

'Sloshed' was used as slang for 'hit', not 'drunk'. No smoke without fire

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

I recently bought the piano only set from jpc without knowing of other better value big box offers. Annoying for a bargain-hunter not to get the best deal, but on the other hand, I did get what I actually wanted in a nice manageable box and at a decent price and with a booklet (which might or might not be in the big box).

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

83p

16 bit CD quality download from Qobuz. The CD is going for £95.70 on Amazon!

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

I feel sure you would rather have the physical disc and booklet. Being in a charitable frame of mind I will happily sell you mine for just the £95, and I will even cover the cost of p&p myself.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I feel sure you would rather have the physical disc and booklet. Being in a charitable frame of mind I will happily sell you mine for just the £95, and I will even cover the cost of p&p myself.

Actually, my first port of call is a download, these days.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

An opportunity for some - maybe. Gimmell on line store is closing down, and there are reductions as the operation closes down.

I'm assuming that some CDs will still be available in physical form, and maybe there will be other outlets for the download formats.

If anyone spots any "must have" items before March 27th, please suggest those here.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I went in a helicopter once. Incredibly noisy. Why would anyone want a CD of this?

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

An opportunity for some - maybe. Gimmell on line store is closing down, and there are reductions as the operation closes down.
                  Gimell recordings have been available on the Hyperion website for some time, so I imagine they are happy with that one outlet? (In comparing the cost of downloads between the two before the end of March, bear in mind the discount which can be obtained on the Hyp. website by pre-paying into one's account).

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I found this - which might be good - very low price - though the postage might swamp that.

http://www.selections.com/dvorak-cello-concerto.html 50p (I actually typed in "Louis Armstrong" to see if any jazz turned up ...)

Not sure if those Ricci/Nelsova recordings are included in one of the larger Brilliant boxes.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

I found this - which might be good - very low price - though the postage might swamp that.

http://www.selections.com/dvorak-cello-concerto.html 50p (I actually typed in "Louis Armstrong" to see if any jazz turned up ...)

Not sure if those Ricci/Nelsova recordings are included in one of the larger Brilliant boxes.
                      Yes - they are in the 2-CD 'Brilliant' box set of 'Dvorak - Complete Concertos' This is a super set - I found it in Superdrug in the Strand, many years ago - I paid double(!) 99p! Seriously though, well-worth it and good clean, clear recordings, too. Go for it, is my advice.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        Yes - they are in the 2-CD 'Brilliant' box set of 'Dvorak - Complete Concertos' This is a super set - I found it in Superdrug in the Strand, many years ago - I paid double(!) 99p! Seriously though, well-worth it and good clean, clear recordings, too. Go for it, is my advice.
                        The one drawback of the 2 CD set is that the piano concerto recording, though beautifully played, is of the old cut version, not the complete concerto.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          The one drawback of the 2 CD set is that the piano concerto recording, though beautifully played, is of the old cut version, not the complete concerto.
                          Very true, but that aside, it is probably the weakest of Dvorak's concertos, so no huge loss, really.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

The Naxos Schubert Lieder box is still at the low price (29.99 euros) at jpc.de - https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...n/hnum/1722422

It's not bad at all (I'm not an expert on lieder and singing) - and also includes a much more sizeable "booklet" (more than half an inch thick) than we are perhaps used to these days in bargain boxes. I don't think it contains all the texts of the works, nor translations, though some are included, and there is discussion of the works on each CD. Texts of most of the songs should be available at http://www.lieder.net/lieder/get_set...omposerId=2520

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              Very true, but that aside, it is probably the weakest of Dvorak's concertos, so no huge loss, really.
                              Given that the cello concerto is one of the, if not the, greatest of the genre, and the violin is a very fine work, it's still an estimable work IMHO! Greatly enjoying Richter's barnstorming way with the finale - still hugely underrated.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

The Naxos Schubert Lieder box is still at the low price (29.99 euros) at jpc.de - https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...n/hnum/1722422

It's not bad at all (I'm not an expert on lieder and singing) - and also includes a much more sizeable "booklet" (more than half an inch thick) than we are perhaps used to these days in bargain boxes. I don't think it contains all the texts of the works, nor translations, though some are included, and there is discussion of the works on each CD. Texts of most of the songs should be available at http://www.lieder.net/lieder/get_set...omposerId=2520
                                As I mentioned above, well worth getting, especially at jpc's give-away price (I paid £60 a few years ago). Worth noting, though, that there are two versions. The discs will obviously be the same but presumably jpc are selling the German box with the German-only version of the very good 426 (!) page booklet. I must have the "international" one which is English only. Texts and translations are available to download on pdf.

Comment

Working...
                                X