X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    For years, Roger had a sign on the door of the shop saying 'NO RIFF-RAFF'. I've not visited for years and wonder whether it is still there? I remember from too many years ago a favourite greeting. He would arrive at an already busy shop on a Saturday well after an assistant had opened up, wheel his bike to the back of the shop and announce in a loud voice 'Good morning music lovers and Wagnerites!'
    I discovered we shared a Christian name. Blokes called Roger tend to be of a certain age - Swiss tennis players excepted.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      I discovered we shared a Christian name. Blokes called Roger tend to be of a certain age - Swiss tennis players excepted.
      There was Roger the Shrubber,from the fictional middle ages........
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
        For years, Roger had a sign on the door of the shop saying 'NO RIFF-RAFF'. I've not visited for years and wonder whether it is still there? I remember from too many years ago a favourite greeting. He would arrive at an already busy shop on a Saturday well after an assistant had opened up, wheel his bike to the back of the shop and announce in a loud voice 'Good morning music lovers and Wagnerites!'
        Thanks for this lovely nostalgia...I have fond memories of the shop when many years ago I worked just up the road at LWT. Many a happy lunch hour was spent there.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
          I don't patronise Gramex much (only once, actually - lifting piles of CDs off tables isn't really for me...I only really favour looking at spines on shelves and getting a crick in the neck). However a choir colleague reported Roger (I presume the same) was still presiding at Gramex last week (and speculates the only way he will give up is if he leaves feet first....).

And also that Harold Moores has shut - is that old news? - I haven't seen a reference to that on these boards. Which I am told leaves London with the shop in Notting Hill and Gramex.
          I sincerely hope that Harold Moores hasn't shut. Mind, it was never the same after the refurbishment a few years ago. The shelves were much too high and most of the time I just gave up on the hassle of trying to look. The second hand department, however, was superb and I picked up many a bargain there but recently even those prices haven't looked as good as they once were. I've not been in since January.

So far as I know, that leaves Foyles and HMV Bond Street selling new classical CDs in London, a deplorable situation. Is the Classical CD Exchange still open in Notting Hill? They moved a while ago and I've never been back to find out.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            I sincerely hope that Harold Moores hasn't shut.
            Perhaps it went into partnership with Gramex, and is now Roger Moores?
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              In which they case they might have moved to Bond Street?

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

I have not checked the shop location of late, but they certainly have on online presence.

Harold Moore's restaurant
                in New York has definitely closed.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  I wondered what had happened to Templar Records

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

In which they case they might have moved to Bond Street?
                    Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Comment

• visualnickmos
                        • Nov 2010

I sincerely hope that Harold Moores hasn't shut. Mind, it was never the same after the refurbishment a few years ago. The shelves were much too high and most of the time I just gave up on the hassle of trying to look. The second hand department, however, was superb and I picked up many a bargain there but recently even those prices haven't looked as good as they once were. I've not been in since January.

So far as I know, that leaves Foyles and HMV Bond Street selling new classical CDs in London, a deplorable situation. Is the Classical CD Exchange still open in Notting Hill? They moved a while ago and I've never been back to find out.
                        Well, about two years ago, the classical shop (they were all separate shops) was gone, and was a section incorprated into one of the others, but with a MUCH reduced volume of stock - and I mean much reduced. I was very disappointed, as I used to often make my way across to Notting Hill for a good browse, when I lived in London. Also, the staff were friendly and knowledgeable, and I remember many a good 'music' chat. Sadly, another one bites the dust.

PS I wasn't aware they had moved? Any idea where to? Perhaps my response (above) is now 'null and void'?
                        Last edited by visualnickmos; 12-03-17, 21:04. Reason: Adding a PS

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                          Well, about two years ago, the classical shop (they were all separate shops) was gone, and was a section incorprated into one of the others, but with a MUCH reduced volume of stock - and I mean much reduced. I was very disappointed, as I used to often make my way across to Notting Hill for a good browse, when I lived in London. Also, the staff were friendly and knowledgeable, and I remember many a good 'music' chat. Sadly, another one bites the dust.

PS I wasn't aware they had moved? Any idea where to? Perhaps my response (above) is now 'null and void'?
                          That's what I knew myself but wonder if the shop still exists. I took quite a few of my own unwanted CDs there to exchange for others on their shelves but have never been back since the incorporation into the other shop which was indeed very disappointing.

Comment

• verismissimo
                            • Nov 2010

Yes. But what about the bargains?

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                              Yes. But what about the bargains?
                              ...and we are not all London based!

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

...and we are not all London based!
                                But we all used to enjoy a trip to London to peruse those racks.

Comment

Working...
                                X