X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... she plays on a Bösendorfer Imperial Grand - so no claims to authenticity.

A pity...
    Indeed - it's mentioned in this review: http://www.musicweb-international.co...29_BIS2046.htm

"I am not really sure that it works......"

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

More of a potential bargain this, bit pricey pre release.

Info on the performances is a bit thin on the ground, but am I correct in assuming these have been release in smaller collections previously?

On my wish list , for price tracking purposes.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

Why are there two Anton Arenskys?
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
          Before and after shaving?
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
            One has a moustache!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Before and after shaving?
              Movember?

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Movember?

Bingo.

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

Jpc has a large number of Naxos cds starting at €1.99 There are dozens & dozens at this price. A good opportunity to seek out rarer repertoire (although Roger Hewland of Gramex used to say “rare but rotten”) and there is a very catholic range on offer.
                  https://www.jpc.de/s/naxos - then sort by price ascending.

Much the same goes for Oehms discs although they start at €2.99 and the interest here may be more artiste than repertoire driven.
                  https://www.jpc.de/s/oehms - then sort by price ascending.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                    Jpc has a large number of Naxos cds starting at €1.99 There are dozens & dozens at this price. A good opportunity to seek out rarer repertoire (although Roger Hewland of Gramex used to say “rare but rotten”) and there is a very catholic range on offer.
                    https://www.jpc.de/s/naxos - then sort by price ascending.

Much the same goes for Oehms discs although they start at €2.99 and the interest here may be more artiste than repertoire driven.
                    https://www.jpc.de/s/oehms - then sort by price ascending.
                    Even this one at 0.99 Euros - great artist - but not sure about those particular performances/recording - https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...f/hnum/8186883

Bit odd really - I just used your link, then sorted by increasing price - and that isn't a Naxos disc. Curious!

If using German, sort by Preis aufsteigend.

This one may be a bit historical, but probably rather good - https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...4/hnum/6750541 Curzon, Schumann, Brahms

Comment

• hafod
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Bit odd really - I just used your link, then sorted by increasing price - and that isn't a Naxos disc. Curious!
                      Not really; I was obliged to search initially using Naxos as there is no search category as far as I can see for record label. The result is the inclusion of anything remotely to do with or associated with the word 'naxos' and not just the record label. Further on, there are other discs which are not from Naxos.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Not really; I was obliged to search initially using Naxos as there is no search category as far as I can see for record label. The result is the inclusion of anything remotely to do with or associated with the word 'naxos' and not just the record label. Further on, there are other discs which are not from Naxos.
                        ...and out popped Ariadne

Interesting that there is the choice of paying 29.99 euros or 99.99 euros for the same complete set of Schubert Lieder!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                          • Jan 2014

....(although Roger Hewland of Gramex used to say “rare but rotten”)
                          I don't patronise Gramex much (only once, actually - lifting piles of CDs off tables isn't really for me...I only really favour looking at spines on shelves and getting a crick in the neck). However a choir colleague reported Roger (I presume the same) was still presiding at Gramex last week (and speculates the only way he will give up is if he leaves feet first....).

And also that Harold Moores has shut - is that old news? - I haven't seen a reference to that on these boards. Which I am told leaves London with the shop in Notting Hill and Gramex.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

I had heard of Gramex but didn't go there until last November when we happened upon the shop by chance, walking down Lower Marsh Street from the bus stop on Westminster Bridge Road on the way through to the Old Vic (Glenda Jackson as King Lear, I remember). I picked up Roderick Williams' latest very good Schubert disc on Delphian, a full price issue labelled at only £5. I went to buy it and as I chatted to him he took £1 off the asking price. We were then going to leave but my wife said that she was going to buy something and alighted on Keith Jarrett playing Barber and Bartok Concertos on ECM. When she went to pay, he would not accept any money and gave it to her as present.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              I had heard of Gramex but didn't go there until last November when we happened upon the shop by chance, walking down Lower Marsh Street from the bus stop on Westminster Bridge Road on the way through to the Old Vic (Glenda Jackson as King Lear, I remember). I picked up Roderick Williams' latest very good Schubert disc on Delphian, a full price issue labelled at only £5. I went to buy it and as I chatted to him he took £1 off the asking price. We were then going to leave but my wife said that she was going to buy something and alighted on Keith Jarrett playing Barber and Bartok Concertos on ECM. When she went to pay, he would not accept any money and gave it to her as present.
                              That's Roger. A great guy, and I'm glad he's still there, and judging by your experience, as kind as ever. On one of my increasingly rare visits to UK/London just over a year ago, he actually asked if I would mind the shop for 15 minutes while he popped out to buy a sandwich! This I duly did; thank goodness it was a quiet period! I'm looking forward to my next visit, but as yet I have none planned.

On another occasion, I gathered up a few CDs to leave reserved on his desk until I'd finished my browsing. When I was about to pay, he did his usual deliberate miscalculation of the price, thus giving me a good discount on already excellent prices - but I had my doubts about one CD, as to whether I really wanted it. He said "Well, take it home, have a listen, and if you want it, you can pay next time you're in. If not, you can bring it back" Me "But I live in France, and it may be months or even a year+ before I can call in again" Roger "No problem, go on take it"

Well, I just couldn't, as I thought he was being more than reasonable.

I can't wait for my next trip, now! It's a fantastic shop; there can't be any shop anywhere, like it.

Comment

• hafod
                                • Nov 2010

For years, Roger had a sign on the door of the shop saying 'NO RIFF-RAFF'. I've not visited for years and wonder whether it is still there? I remember from too many years ago a favourite greeting. He would arrive at an already busy shop on a Saturday well after an assistant had opened up, wheel his bike to the back of the shop and announce in a loud voice 'Good morning music lovers and Wagnerites!'

Comment

Working...
                                X