Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

jpc have just sent me a 10% discount code and I have used it to take the plunge with the enticing and controversial Bruckner symphonies set from Mario Venzago on cpo which was much discussed on this board. I had already noticed they were selling it for Euro 49.99 and put it in the basket. (Amazon £68, Presto £89). The discount more less makes it post free so I'm paying about £43.

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

Naxos' 'Complete Schubert Lieder' (38CDs) new on amazon MP for £30.96 + p&p
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
        What an incredible price - never listened a lot to Schubert Lieder but a great way to try more! Thanks for the tip-off.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          What an incredible price - never listened a lot to Schubert Lieder but a great way to try more! Thanks for the tip-off.
          Very tempted by that......
          ....and this is a fantastic site for explorations into lieder, Cloughie.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• hafod
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
            This MP Seller has now sold out. However, a virtually similar offer is available from JPC.
            Die CD Franz Schubert: Sämtliche Lieder (Booklet in englischer Sprache) jetzt portofrei kaufen. Mehr von Franz Schubert gibt es im Shop.

Whilst visiting the site it is worth noting that Baroque music seems to be a feature of a number of jpc offers:

Frescobaldi Edition (15 CDs) - €20
            Die CD Girolamo Frescobaldi: Frescobaldi Edition jetzt probehören und portofrei kaufen. Mehr von Girolamo Frescobaldi gibt es im Shop.

Telemann Edition (50 CDs) - €60
            Die CD Georg Philipp Telemann: Telemann Edition jetzt probehören und portofrei kaufen. Mehr von Georg Philipp Telemann gibt es im Shop.

Johann Jacob Froberger: Sämtliche Werke für Cembalo & Orgel (16 CDs) - €25
            Die CD Johann Jacob Froberger: Sämtliche Werke für Cembalo & Orgel jetzt portofrei kaufen. Mehr von Johann Jacob Froberger gibt es im Shop.

Johann Gottfried Walther: Complete Organ Music (12 CDs) - €20
            Die CD Johann Gottfried Walther: Complete Organ Music jetzt probehören und portofrei kaufen. Mehr von Johann Gottfried Walther gibt es im Shop.

Georg Friedrich Händel: Belshazzar: William Christie (3 CDs) - €10

……and others to numerous to list including single discs such as Williams Christie’s ‘Le Jardin de Monsieur Rameau’ for €6.

On a different tack, Mozart 225 – The New Complete Edition - is also still available for €200.
            Die bislang umfassendste Hommage an Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Hier können Sie »Mozart 225 – The New Complete Edition« online bestellen.
            Last edited by hafod; 04-03-17, 18:08.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
              This MP Seller has now sold out. However, a virtually similar offer is available from JPC.
              https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...n/hnum/1722422
              Or there's ebay.

Comment

• Parry1912
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Or there's ebay.
                It's easy to forget that there are some good bargains to be had both new and s/h on ebay.
                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                  On a different tack, Mozart 225 – The New Complete Edition - is also still available for €200.
                  https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...n/hnum/3448342
                  It comes in a huge box, with lots of foam packing. If you order other CDs as well, make sure to search the packaging. Other CDs might get missed in the polystyrene.

Are those Naxos Schubert lieder CDs mentioned above any good?

Lastly, if anyone does order from jpc.de, I still recommend the single Telemann disc with the flute and recorder concerto played by Il Rossignolo - https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...o/hnum/5848029 - though the price seems to have risen recently. Might be available elsewhere though.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    ... if anyone does order from jpc.de, I still recommend the single Telemann disc with the flute and recorder concerto played by Il Rossignolo - https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...o/hnum/5848029 - though the price seems to have risen recently. Might be available elsewhere though.
                    Cheaper via amazon.co.uk marketplace (£5.21 including p&p for a new copy).

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Cheaper via amazon.co.uk marketplace (£5.21 including p&p for a new copy).
                      Thanks. A few weeks ago it was as cheap IIRC at jpc.de. The other suggestions for purchases (msg 6485) from jpc seem good, though I've probably got some or similar already, or don't want them. It's definitely a site worth looking at though, and probably does have the lowest price for the Mozart box right now. I'm still trying to figure whether I really "need" a bumper box of Schubert songs.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Thanks. A few weeks ago it was as cheap IIRC at jpc.de. The other suggestions for purchases (msg 6485) from jpc seem good, though I've probably got some or similar already, or don't want them. It's definitely a site worth looking at though, and probably does have the lowest price for the Mozart box right now. I'm still trying to figure whether I really "need" a bumper box of Schubert songs.
                        Agreed concerning the general situation re. jpc. It's just that since you mentioned a lower earlier price I made a quick check of alternative suppliers. I hovered over the order button at ebay where the Schubert box is concerned, then decided I to 'make do' with the various recordings of the major cycles and other songs I already have, including the 21 disc Fischer-Dieskau box:

Last edited by Bryn; 05-03-17, 12:37.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Are those Naxos Schubert lieder CDs mentioned above any good?
                          Probably only worth getting of you are a Lieder fan - which I am. I commented recently as part of the Schubert lieder book thread:

"In the meantime I have also acquired the Naxos Complete set which can be picked up very cheaply. Well worth getting in addition to Hyperion with many hits and only a few disappointments. There are different, less well-known singers in there to get to know - all native German speakers. Fortepiano is used on five of the 38 discs. No song texts but a 400 page booklet with very detailed notes, mostly by the set's accompanist and project leader, Ulrich Eisenlohr."
                          The texts are on an extra CD.

jpc are always good for cpo discs, usually a fair bit cheaper than eleswhere. (It is their inhouse label). I mentioned the Venzago Bruckner discs above.

From the byways of the lied repertoire I have also acquired:
                          5CD Pfitzner set
                          The doorstopping 21CD Loewe complete edition - great value and brilliantly done
                          A fine Marx disc from Angelika Kirchschlager

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            Probably only worth getting of you are a Lieder fan - which I am. I commented recently as part of the Schubert lieder book thread:

"In the meantime I have also acquired the Naxos Complete set which can be picked up very cheaply. Well worth getting in addition to Hyperion with many hits and only a few disappointments. There are different, less well-known singers in there to get to know - all native German speakers. Fortepiano is used on five of the 38 discs. No song texts but a 400 page booklet with very detailed notes, mostly by the set's accompanist and project leader, Ulrich Eisenlohr."
                            The texts are on an extra CD.
                            Thanks for your comments. I am I suspect not so much of a lieder or singing fan as you are, but nevertheless this does seem as though it could be worthwhile. Songs/lieder are not my preferred genre of classical music, but having said that there are some beautiful works which are worth knowing - not just Schubert. I am very fond of some works by Strauss in particular, though other music with voices I have on CD or elsewhere includes RVW - various other English songs (Shropshire Lad etc.) - Schumann and Mahler. I have also enjoyed live performances including humorous pieces, such as some by Richard Rodney Bennet.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

A quick follow up - I'd never heard much (anything) about Joseph Marx before, but I found this http://open.qobuz.com/track/1397108

Marie-Paule Milone (mezzo)
                              22 Lieder : Leuchtende tage

The whole CD might be worth investigating.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

A quick follow up - I'd never heard much (anything) about Joseph Marx before, but I found this http://open.qobuz.com/track/1397108

Marie-Paule Milone (mezzo)
                                22 Lieder : Leuchtende tage

The whole CD might be worth investigating.
                                Couldn’t get that link to open. I bought this CD in 2010, IIRC. Not listened to it very much, but it’s pretty good music.

Comment

Working...
                                X