X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
    Thanks hafod. Couldn't resist - Euro 205.98 incl. postage.
    Seconded!

M. C Dutoit set (MDT) still on the back burner though, or maybe that offer has now gone.

I'm still waiting for the Emerson quartet set - but hopefully it's on its way now or very soon.

There are also a few other CDs perhaps worth checking out if an order to jpc.de is put in - such
    as:

Strauss Liebe der Danae (Mackerras) 2.99
    Pfitzner Die Rose der Liebesgarten 3.99
    Telemann Cantatas (Hänssler) 3.99
    Telemann Cantatas (Profil) René Jacobs 3.99
    Alessandro Scarlatti Rosina ed Emireno 2.99
    Agostini Steffani Cantatas 2.99

Look for offers for the week, and select Classical.

Also, if you put (for example) Telemann in the search box under Classical, then sort the results by increasing price you may find some even cheaper goodies!

You might also come across one called Virtuoso by Il Rossignolo which I didn't choose, but rather wish I had. Currently listening on Qobuz - the performers pull the recorder and flute concerto about a bit - but it still sounds quite pleasant, and at the rather low jpc.de price must surely be a bargain. The string "backing" seem to go in for sharp "attack" (staccato) chords in the first movement, while the second movement is slightly muddy/rustic in places - very good playing from the soloists though.

The finale is rustic in the extreme! Brilliant. Doesn't displace my original 45 rpm Archiv disc with Thea von Sparr and Burghard Schaeffer plus Emil Seiler and Wofgang Meyer - which is definitely more refined, but this one is absolutely wild!!!! Superb stuff.

Does it make sense to write "highly recommended - with a few slight reservations"? It's going on my wish list for next time I put in an order.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...o/hnum/5848029 4.99 euros

It's also on Spotify as well as Qobuz - https://play.spotify.com/album/0dxW7...tm_medium=open
    Last edited by Dave2002; 11-02-17, 19:09.

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

EMI's 'Boris Christoff - Icon' set (11CDs) on Amazon for £7.99
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

EMI's '20th Century Masterpieces' (16CDs) on Amazon for £17.99

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
          EMI's '20th Century Masterpieces' (16CDs) on Amazon for £17.99
          Was just researching that: it seems some of the works listed are only 'bleeding chunks' -ie, just 'Der Abschied' from 'Das Lied Von Der Erde'. That did put me off somewhat, along with several duplications.

Is it just me, or are bargains somewhat thin on the ground these days? The 'glory period' of 2011-2012 certainly seems to be a thing of the past.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
            Was just researching that: it seems some of the works listed are only 'bleeding chunks' -ie, just 'Der Abschied' from 'Das Lied Von Der Erde'. That did put me off somewhat, along with several duplications.

Is it just me, or are bargains somewhat thin on the ground these days? The 'glory period' of 2011-2012 certainly seems to be a thing of the past.
            A brilliant compilation for the neophyte, I'd say, but way too much duplication for many here, surely?
            Last edited by Bryn; 16-02-17, 10:57. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Parry1912
              • Nov 2010

Wow, tough crowd

According to the Presto website the Mahler is the only work truncated. As to duplication by others, I'm afraid I've mislaid my crystal ball

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                EMI's 'Boris Christoff - Icon' set (11CDs) on Amazon for £7.99
                Paid £20 for this when it came out and that was great value. The three Mussorgsky discs described in Gramophone as "undoubtedly one of the all-time glories the gramophone" would alone be well worth the asking price. Mainly Russian repertoire and an absolute must for fans of such, but no texts provided, so some research will be required.

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

Callas Remastered (70cd) from Amazon France - €99

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                    Callas Remastered (70cd) from Amazon France - €99
                    https://www.amazon.fr/Maria-Callas-I.../dp/B00KN15P56
                    Snap it up quickly...a great bargain. I am just halfway through my set, 'Bohème' is playing at the moment!

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                      Snap it up quickly...a great bargain. I am just halfway through my set, 'Bohème' is playing at the moment!
                      Depends if you really want a lot of CDs with Callas .... obviously.

From the same site I found this - Liszt piano music by Leslie Howard - https://www.amazon.fr/Liszt-Int%C3%A...TYME6P49N5Q2SA for around 166 euros.

That's not cheap, but I had a friend who liked Liszt and had bought the full set of 99 CDs, and was working his way through it. If you like Liszt and Leslie Howard's playing it may be a bargain - otherwise it won't be.

Leslie Howard has spent years playing Liszt's complete piano works. Hyperion's 99-disc box set shows he was not wasting his time, writes Fiona Maddocks

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

A potentially interesting set of Stabat Maters new on the Brilliant label:

14 CDs (not just 1, as the Amazon product details claim) with content/performer details (not given on the Brilliant site or Presto, as far as I could see) given in the Amazon review.
                        I'm intrigued that the Naxos Howells Stabat Mater seems to have found its way into the set.
                        Anyone know anything about the other recordings?

Comment

• PJPJ
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          A potentially interesting set of Stabat Maters new on the Brilliant label:

14 CDs (not just 1, as the Amazon product details claim) with content/performer details (not given on the Brilliant site or Presto, as far as I could see) given in the Amazon review.
                          I'm intrigued that the Naxos Howells Stabat Mater seems to have found its way into the set.
                          Anyone know anything about the other recordings?
                          Isn't the Stanford also ex-Naxos?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

From the same site I found this - Liszt piano music by Leslie Howard - https://www.amazon.fr/Liszt-Int%C3%A...TYME6P49N5Q2SA for around 166 euros.

That's not cheap, but I had a friend who liked Liszt and had bought the full set of 99 CDs, and was working his way through it. If you like Liszt and Leslie Howard's playing it may be a bargain - otherwise it won't be.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...o-works-review
                            We had a discussion on this set a couple of years ago http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...=leslie+howard. I ended up downloading Vols 32 and 33, Schubert song transcriptions, which were discounted at the time and I have greatly enjoyed them in the meantime. I have enough Liszt piano elsewhere (Eg I got the DG Box which has 11 solo piano discs. Deleted but still there as download)

If any Liszt completist wants the Howard set but not the door-stopping box, Hyperion have a download for £160. http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc...=D_CDS44501/98

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                              I hadn't spotted that!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                                Most Brillant boxes are licensed from other companies. The download looks good value on Amazon.
                                Last edited by cloughie; 26-02-17, 16:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X