• Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    How does one eat an elephant?
    ... with caper sauce, or perhaps sauce ravigote

tho' I think a sauce gribiche might be an improvement

This recipe is adapted from “The Tenth Muse: My Life in Food,” the memoir of Judith Jones, the book editor who among many other things first brought Julia Child into print It comes together in about five minutes and improves cold meats, cold cuts, blanched asparagus, boiled potatoes – almost anything you can think of Take note: the egg needs to be really finely chopped to achieve the sauce’s optimal texture.

Last edited by vinteuil; 25-01-17, 14:36.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

You will notice that I did not challenge your own decision to stick to CDs. In your case, it must be the right thing to do.

Comment

• mathias broucek
        • Nov 2010

I don't mind editing artist and composer for repertoire-based recordings as it's often the same for every track, although it's certainly a pain for recitals. Even when this is done well, I often change to ensure consistency (e.g. spellings for Russian composers)

A bigger problem for me is when the "song" is listed as something like:

01 Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No 5 in C minor Op. 67 "Fate" - Wiener Philharmoniker Leonard Bernstein: I Allegro con brio

This makes it very hard to see which movement is playing on a phone, portable player or car. (Perhaps not such an issue for Beethoven 5 but a complete pain for opera or oratorio...)

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

This recipe is adapted from “The Tenth Muse: My Life in Food,” the memoir of Judith Jones, the book editor who among many other things first brought Julia Child into print It comes together in about five minutes and improves cold meats, cold cuts, blanched asparagus, boiled potatoes – almost anything you can think of Take note: the egg needs to be really finely chopped to achieve the sauce’s optimal texture.

I'm ever so slightly baffled at the reference to elephants (much too arcane for my simple mind but it's not about them in rooms, is it?) but, as someone who occasionally likes to show off to my French neighbours that I can actually cook without poisoning them, Vint's links to that brilliant Le Monde website (hitherto unknown to me) are brilliant! Sauce gribiche here I come! Oh, and back on topic, wholly agree with MB about metadata, although Qobuz is better in that respect than e-classical.com. Its downloads always seem to involve some kind of relabelling before use.

Comment

• robk
            • Nov 2010

I have downloaded Callas Remastered with a little help from Qobuz and a copy of their Beta Desktop, but only as 16 bit. There doesn't seem to be an option to select 24 bit except as individual files. There are over 1,000 files so this would to be a painful task. Still talking to Qobuz but no solution yet - this is on a PC with Windows 10. Has anyone had any success with it?

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

The Emerson Quartet box delivered for just under £60 as per the link.

Also there's a Oiseau Lyre box of classical and romantic music (50 CDs) at about the same price, though some here will have most of the individual CDs in other boxes. The Baroque box, which I believe I ordered years ago, but failed to arrive (unilateral cancellation?) has now floated to luxury prices for new copies. Some details of the contents are available - but not so many on the am.de site. Look around if you want more info.

Comment

• Parry1912
                • Nov 2010

Charles Dutoit - The Montreal Years (35CDs) is available from MDT for £39.65 + £3.00 p&p.
                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                  Charles Dutoit - The Montreal Years (35CDs) is available from MDT for £39.65 + £3.00 p&p.
                  That is a terrific bargain!

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                    That is a terrific bargain!
                    Maybe, but how many versions of Holst's Planets, and Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, and String percussion+ celeste, and the Symphonie Fantastique etc. does one really need?
                    Last edited by Dave2002; 30-01-17, 21:55.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Maybe, but how many versions of Holst's Planets, and Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, and String percussion+ celeste, and the Symphonie Fantastiqute etc. does one really need?
                      That’s a really hard question. Is the answer seven?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

That’s a really hard question. Is the answer seven?
                        the answer is one more.

anyway, loads of cheap Morton Feldman downloads on amazon right now.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          the answer is one more.

anyway, loads of cheap Morton Feldman downloads on amazon right now.
                          Loads? I found 2 at 99p. Are there any more?

Re Dutoit - "I'm thinking about it" - but I've not hit "go" on the Mozart 225 yet.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Re Dutoit - "I'm thinking about it"
                            I’ve already spent more than the asking price for just four of the CDs in that box. If only there were bargains like that back then.

When did you say you’re hitting the button on the Dutoit?

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Loads? I found 2 at 99p. Are there any more?

Re Dutoit - "I'm thinking about it" - but I've not hit "go" on the Mozart 225 yet.
                              Alright, not exactly loads.....

Five at 99p, and a couple more at a couple of quid, although the For Bunita Marcus has been cheap for ages.Not sure if the others have.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

I’ve already spent more than the asking price for just four of the CDs in that box. If only there were bargains like that back then.

When did you say you’re hitting the button on the Dutoit?
                                Indeed, but I listened to the Bartók Concerto for Orchestra this morning, together with Lutoslawski - Mariss Jansons, ROC. Actually I suspect that Dutoit's might be a better recording. Did you go for the Mozart 225?

Have you found any more of the Morton Feldman? Just trying the Quartetto Klimt download - piano, violin, viola, cello.
                                I'll probably play Neither later in the week.

Comment

Working...
                                X