X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    ....I didn't buy anything in the end because it just kept saying that the promotional code wasn't applicable to my items without giving any reason why.
    Were they direct from Amazon or from other sellers? I ordered a couple of books and some printing ink - no problems.
    Thanks ts From tip off as Amazon did not seem to go out of their way to push the offer!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Were they direct from Amazon or from other sellers? I ordered a couple of books and some printing ink - no problems.
      Thanks ts From tip off as Amazon did not seem to go out of their way to push the offer!
      Thank you ts from me too as it was worth exploring.

My items were a mixture of from Amazon and from other sellers via Amazon.

That was probably the problem.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Pleasantly surprised to find a Classical CD section in HVM in York this afternoon, with some bargain prices.
        Many Double Deccas at £5.99 or £6.99 (no logic in pricing that I could see); several Naxos at 2 for £10; and a few big boxes.
        I succumbed to the Warner Erato Poulenc Œuvres complètes: £29.99 for 20 CDs (haven't checked price elsewhere). Several duplications, but justified by looking tidier in a big box. And I'm sure I know someone to pass the duplicates onto.
        Also bought the Heath Quartet Wigmore Tippett set for £14.99; perhaps not such a bargain, but I was pleased to see it and had liked a sample I'd heard on Deezer.

Another bargain box there was the Berglund Bournemouth Sibelius cycle for £9.99, which really did seem a good buy (would not have hesitated but I already have it).

PS: Poulenc set is a bit cheaper on Amazon, but I've supported a local shop, haven't I?
        Tippett a few pence cheaper on Amazon too.
        The Berglund is an astonishing £8.27!
        Last edited by Pulcinella; 21-01-17, 21:36. Reason: PS added.

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Qobuz has the Callas complete studio recordings for £7!!!!!! (reduced from £131)

not my cup of tea but possibly the greatest bargain I've ever seen

(Sorry for no link - my proxy server at work routes via the US and hence I can't get to the Qobuz site)

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
            Qobuz has the Callas complete studio recordings for £7!!!!!! (reduced from £131)

not my cup of tea but possibly the greatest bargain I've ever seen

(Sorry for no link - my proxy server at work routes via the US and hence I can't get to the Qobuz site)
            A reflection on how little I like Callas - I don't think that even at that price I would buy it !

Comment

• Parry1912
              • Nov 2010

I'm logged in to Qobuz and every time I put it in my basket the price increases to the full price.

Possibly they think I'm in France?

Any suggestions?
              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• robk
                • Nov 2010

I couldn't resist this so I have purchased at £7.34. I can't see any way of downloading the files other than each track individually. Doesn't seem to be a ZIP file listed. My old version of the downloader is not seeing the purchase. Lack of French is a limitation for me. Any suggestions welcome!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Couldn’t resist at that price! Hi-Res, too.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    Couldn’t resist at that price! Hi-Res, too.
                    Thats an extraordinary bargain.
                    The site says it has 26 days to run, so plenty of time to save up.........
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Howdenite
                      • Nov 2010

Qobuz has me in France, too, and I haven't been able to get moved. Eventually I'll close all my accounts, but that is always a bother. In the meantime, I opened an account with a different email address and was able to make the purchase. Now to the very long process of downloading it all one bit at a time. Nonetheless, a fantastic bargain as I enjoy occasional doses of Callas!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Perhaps Qobuz thinks there's a lot of customers called Maria who live in Calais?
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mathias broucek
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by robk View Post
                          I couldn't resist this so I have purchased at £7.34. I can't see any way of downloading the files other than each track individually. Doesn't seem to be a ZIP file listed. My old version of the downloader is not seeing the purchase. Lack of French is a limitation for me. Any suggestions welcome!
                          I find the mobile interface for Qobuz is good but downloading to my pc and/or NAS is a PITA as the downloader often misses tracks downloading something as big as the Callas box to a TAR file (similar to ZIP) will take forever in Hi Res

I reckoned that it would take me several hours to sort downloading errors and to edit meta data which is why I didn't buy....

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

I reckoned that it would take me several hours to sort downloading errors and to edit meta data which is why I didn't buy....
                            This also applies to freedb and cddb metadata, which have no field for composer, which is most likely to be the foremost sorting criterion for classical collectors. Editing metadata is an ongoing bugbear of downloads for me. There is little consistency in the way metadata comes down to you, eg there are often multiple names in the artist field, when obviously ideally each artist needs an individual unique entry. The database I use has the facility for collaborations on the artist field which solves this problem. Sometimes the composer is in the artist field when it obviously needs its own field. The composer sometimes appears in the track title which also doesn't work well. Hence the frequent need, as you describe, for much re-jigging if you want to make sense of things.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... I knew there was a reason I still use CDs rather than this not-yet-settled-down world of streaming

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

How does one eat an elephant?

Comment

Working...
                                X