X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I look forward to hearing how you get on with it. I'm sure there's some good stuff in there.

I have recollections of the first recording of Dvorak's cello concerto I heard, on Telefunken, being by the Bamberg SO.
    Not quite sure about the cellist or conductor - vague feeling of Hollreaiser and Keilberth, but I can't find any trace in the catalogues right now.

I really enjoyed that, though it was a long while ago and it wasn't my LP. That's not in the box though, as that piece is not included.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/DG/4795805
    The cellist was Ludwig Hoelscher and the conductor Keilberth.

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

I don't know whether it has been mentioned before but the 101 disc Warner box of Karajan "The Complete Official Remastered Edition" is currently on Amazon for £88.39.

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Indeed, but to be sure one would have to listen with the Novak 1975 version of the score to hand. Hence my choice of words. Norrington does manage to make some pieces sound very different.
        Absolutely - I thought it was a good spot on your part. Especially as conductors do like to pick and mix versions.
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
          The cellist was Ludwig Hoelscher and the conductor Keilberth.

I think that was the one, though the LP sleeve might have been white. I picked up a CD copy a few years ago - I think it was by then on Decca. Actually, it's possible that the first LPs were mono only hence my recollection of the white sleeve. That's the Hamburg SO though, not the Bamberg SO. It was a long while ago - I can't remember everything.

Comment

• hafod
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
            I don't know whether it has been mentioned before but the 101 disc Warner box of Karajan "The Complete Official Remastered Edition" is currently on Amazon for £88.39.
            Around £77 delivered until 23/12 from Amazon Italy (usually dispatched from Dunfermline however).

The Karajan '80s box is just under £109 from the same source - again until 23/12.
            [Sadly, this has just increased in price].
            Last edited by hafod; 16-12-16, 16:09. Reason: Update

Comment

• hafod
              • Nov 2010

There is a sale of Hanssler discs at jpc at extremely good prices. There are over 130 titles and include Gielen, Norrington, a couple of ida Heandel, a single Martzy, Francois-Xavier Roth and others as well as a fairly catholic mix of repertoire. Well worth a look.

Comment

• Rolmill
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                There is a sale of Hanssler discs at jpc at extremely good prices. There are over 130 titles and include Gielen, Norrington, a couple of ida Heandel, a single Martzy, Francois-Xavier Roth and others as well as a fairly catholic mix of repertoire. Well worth a look.
                https://www.jpc.de/s/Lagerräumung+SW...rubric=classic
                Many thanks Hafod - just ordered the Norrington/Stuttgart set of Haydn's London symphonies at EUR 6.99 for the 4 CD set. He divides opinion on these boards and elsewhere, but this is a very inexpensive way to acquire a set that some here have recommended strongly.

Comment

• Parry1912
                  • Nov 2010

Sony's 'Baroque Masterpieces' box (60cds) for £37.79 on Amazon.
                  Last edited by Parry1912; 17-12-16, 16:29.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Bargains?! That's just cost me around £117. Be sure to on items which just say things like conducted by Michael Gielen. They contain some real gems. His Bruckner 8 with Feldman's Coptic Light is a must.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... for Straussians, this looks interesting : 15 CDs for some £20, interesting 'historical' performances

Salome : Krauss 1954
                      Elektra : Mitropolous 1957
                      Rosenkavalier : Karajan 1960
                      Ariadne : Bohm 1944
                      Frau ohne Schatten : Bohm 1955
                      Arabella : Keilberth 1958
                      Capriccio : Sawallisch 1957

From the amazon.fr site :

"* Salome, Clemens Krauss, 1954, studio, origine Decca Clemens Krauss conducts Strauss : Salomé, 1954, reprise par Naxos, qu'on retrouve aussi dans le coffret des enregistrements straussiens de Clemens Krauss. Indiscutable, même s'il y a d'autres immenses versions.
                      * Elektra, Mitropoulos, festival de Salzbourg, 7 août 1957 Elektra; musicalement, cet enregistrement est au sommet avec celui de Reiner en 1952, mais se posait la question du son. Certaines éditions sont vraiment à la limite de l'écoutable, mais celle d'Orfeo (mon lien) est bien meilleure; ce n'est pas de la hifi quand même. Diapason a trouvé un enregistrement différent de la même soirée, mais presque au niveau de qualité sonore de celui d'Orfeo.
                      * Der Rosenkavalier, Karajan, Salzbourg, 26 juillet 1960 Der Rosenkavalier, enregistré par Deutsche Grammophon; deux remarques : 1) il existe des éditions au son plus précaire; 2) ne pas confondre avec le célèbre enregistrement EMI de 1956, pour l'atmosphère duquel je garde une préférence, ni avec une version plus récente de Karajan, avec Anna Tomowa-Sintow en Maréchale; dans la version de 1956, le trio féminin (Maréchale, Octavian, Sophie) est Schwarzkopf, Ludwig et Stich-Randall, alors qu'en 1960, c'est Della Casa, Jurinac et Güden; abondance de biens ne nuit pas...
                      * Ariadne auf Naxos, Karl Böhm, 11 juin 1944 Ariadne Auf Naxos (ne pas confondre avec la version de 1954);
                      * Die Frau ohne Schatten, Karl Böhm, studio, novembre et décembre 1955, Strauss : La Femme sans Ombre / Die Frau ohne Schatten, succédant à la représentation du 9 novembre Richard Strauss : Die Frau ohne Schatten (La femme sans ombre); en studio, Paul Schoeffler remplace Ludwig Weber dans le rôle de Barak; lire le commentaire de Mark E. Farrington sur Amazon.com;
                      * Arabella, Keilberth, Salzbourg, 29 juillet 1958 Richard Strauss: Arabella, probablement la meilleure version Keilberth, un peu préférable à celle de Deutsche Grammophon de 1963 à Munich, sauf pour le son;
                      * Capriccio, Sawallisch, studio, EMI, 1957-58 Richard Strauss: Capriccio; parce que la source n'est pas la même, le son n'est pas tout à fait aussi bon que celui de l'éditeur d'origine, mais la différence n'est pas très grande. Pour l'interprétation, il n'y a pas mieux"

Not much duplication for me, so I'm going for it...

Last edited by vinteuil; 17-12-16, 16:36.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Bargains?! That's just cost me around £117. Be sure to on items which just say things like conducted by Michael Gielen. They contain some real gems. His Bruckner 8 with Feldman's Coptic Light is a must.
                        Any other really good ones? I had the Norrington Romantics recently - definitely worth having, even if there are some reservations. As noted earlier, it's worth it just for the Bruckner 4 which is the "original" version. I haven't compared it with Inbal's version (somewhere on my shelves...) which is also not "the usual" I think.

I was reading the page about sending to the UK. Good for now, but may be a sorry read in a few years. It is probably worth buying more to avoid having to pay the carriage charge several times over - and Christmas is coming!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                          • Mar 2013

Francois-Xavier Roth is excellent in Strauss: highly recommend the disc with Heldenleben and Tod und Verklärung.
                          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Parry1912
                            • Nov 2010

Oxfam's 50% Off Sale starts today. Some good classical bargains to be had (even after my visit! ). And you're doing your bit for charity .

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                              Oxfam's 50% Off Sale starts today. Some good classical bargains to be had (even after my visit! ). And you're doing your bit for charity .
                              The T&C's say the sale reduction has been applied to the price shown on the page. On a quick look, it seems to be typically optimistic pricing as in Oxfam shops but I might be wrong on that. I may have a closer look and try comparison with other well known sites for pre-owned CDs later (OTOH its a busy week and time is at a premium).

(I was veering towards the view its hardly worth looking at CDs in charity shops - in most of them the yield is low or zero (never needed the 1st "Three Tenors" CD and neither did the many owners who donated copies to the shops). I obviously live in the wrong locality - not Edinburgh or Windsor for example. And in an Oxfam bookshop, I can get the same thing from the inevitable River marketplace, delivered, should I decide I need it, for the same price or lower, often. I had come to the resolution to only look at CD shelves where the spines were visible, and restrict myself to a quick scan for a seam of obviously Classical CDs, at non Oxfam shop prices. And then in a hospice charity shop I came upon 50 CDs obviously previously owned by a collector and came away with 15 discs (Handley, Leinsdorf, Svetlanov and more at £1 each).

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

This Steven Isserlis set could be worthwhile - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-Isse.../dp/B01HU7HNTG around £20 in the U.K., though jpc.de might have it cheaper if one is putting in an order there.
                                It's also slightly cheaper if one doesn't want the Amazon AutoRip, and buys from market place sellers instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X