X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rcartes
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    As MickyD wrote, "All of Hogwood's Haydn symphonies" (well, not the couple of live performances in poor quality sound to be found on his website).
    Ah, yes, my mistake

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Yes indeed, Bryn - as a fan of Hogwood and the AAM since they started, I am all too aware that the cycle was never completed and sadly never will be.

And I guess you are talking about the videos of Nos. 79 and 81 on YouTube. I agree, such a shame about the shocking sound quality.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        Yes indeed, Bryn - as a fan of Hogwood and the AAM since they started, I am all too aware that the cycle was never completed and sadly never will be.

And I guess you are talking about the videos of Nos. 79 and 81 on YouTube. I agree, such a shame about the shocking sound quality.
        Oops. I forgot about 76 and 77 which were also omitted from the Hogwood box. They first appeared on a BBCMM cover disc, but did later make it into the three conductors box.

Comment

• alycidon
          • Feb 2013

By a remarkable co-incidence' I downloaded No 79 from YouTube less than three hours ago, and found myself wondering how I could possibly live with all the extraneous noise. What a pity.
          Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Boulez Twentieth Century 44 CD DG box down to £50 on amazon.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Oops. I forgot about 76 and 77 which were also omitted from the Hogwood box. They first appeared on a BBCMM cover disc, but did later make it into the three conductors box.
              I didn't realise that those two symphonies had been omitted from the box...not very clever of Decca!

Comment

• soileduk
                • Nov 2010

All of Hogwood's Haydn symphonies for under £25 - what a bargain. And when I think what I paid for them all individually!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009LNI0...b21bc31fecce_S
                If one were to purchase this set instead of the recent 'completion' set how would you go about filling in the gaps. There is more Hogwood on this set, which is a bonus. I have the BBCMM of 76 and 77. Also I have the Kuijken 82 to 92 sets and Davis and Abbado Londons, also the Pinnock box.

Damnation! I've only gone and punted it! If I get the Dantone disc too I should have a quality example or two of all the symphonies.
                Last edited by soileduk; 13-08-16, 12:33. Reason: Itchy trigger finger

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

I didn't realise that those two symphonies had been omitted from the box...not very clever of Decca!
                  but then were they not BBC recordings and not Decca originals?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    but then were they not BBC recordings and not Decca originals?
                    It says on the back of the BBC MM disc that the recordings are, "Licensed from Decca Music Group Limited". Recorded at Walthamstow Town Hall on 5 - 7 March 1996, Producer - Chris Sayers and Engineer/Editors from Classic Sound.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      It says on the back of the BBC MM disc that the recordings are, "Licensed from Decca Music Group Limited". Recorded at Walthamstow Town Hall on 5 - 7 March 1996, Producer - Chris Sayers and Engineer/Editors from Classic Sound.
                      Just shows what I know - did they ever appear on Decca or their hipp label l'Oiseau Lyre?

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Just shows what I know - did they ever appear on Decca or their hipp label l'Oiseau Lyre?
                        No, their first appearance other than on the BBCMM cover disc was in the recent three conductors survey. All very strange.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

They were going to form part of the next box in the Decca cycle, which was sadly axed two-thirds of the way through.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

The 4 CD Mady Mesplé 80th birthday box can be had for a snip. Great voice of our time in fascinating and varied repertoire.

Comment

• mahlerei
                              • Jun 2015

Melodiya's 125th birthday box of Prokofiev ballets with Rozhdestvensky - 9 CDs, including the composer's 1938 recording of the second Romeo and Juliet suite, will set you back anything between £80 and £100. However, the lossless Qobuz download is a steal at €49.99.

Listen to Sergei Prokofiev in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from 12.49€/month

Comment

• mathias broucek
                                • Nov 2010

15 CD equivalent download of "The Essential Sibelius" from BIS is just £15.99 on Qobuz (16-bit FLAC or 320kbps mp3)

Listen to Osmo Vänskä in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

Comment

Working...
                                X