X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Is there a way of excluding downloads from searches on Amazon? Ir's a real pain looking for some CDs to find oneself presented with loads of MP3 tracks, possibly from some of the CDs one is trying to find.
    You can filter by department - "CDs and Vinyl"

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
      It's all about Dvorák here.
      I've just ordered this box of the complete String Quartets https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...&condition=new
      Seems an extraordinary bargain,10 cds for £15 and with good reviews,anyone familiar with it ?
      No takers ?

Thoroughly recommended by me having now listened to the set.
      Super playing,some little known (to me)gems,a little bit of dross,well worth £8 (went for the download for half the price in the end)

Comment

• muzzer
        • Nov 2013

Yes! It arrived at the weekend and I greatly approve.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

No takers ?

Super playing,some little known (to me)gems,a little bit of dross,well worth £8 (went for the download for half the price in the end)
          Got Them in the Brilliant Classics Dvorak 40 CD box, from which i have had endless pleasure.
          GLad you are enjoying them ER.
          IIRC the OP 34 quartet is rather good,so will check that and my memory out later.

talking of Dvorak, the Czech Suite is one of my all time favourite works,bu it doesn't get played as much as I would expect. Would love to hear it live .
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

It's all about Dvorák here.
            I've just ordered this box of the complete String Quartets https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...&condition=new
            Seems an extraordinary bargain,10 cds for £15 and with good reviews,anyone familiar with it ?
            Got them in a download bargain StamitzSQ set a year or two back - it included Janacek, Smetana, Martinu in addition to the Dvorak.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Got them in a download bargain StamitzSQ set a year or two back - it included Janacek, Smetana, Martinu in addition to the Dvorak.
              Snap!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                No matter how many times I try, I can't access this web link.
                Same: Page not found

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  Tried to look, but get 'no such page'?

Try:

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Got Them in the Brilliant Classics Dvorak 40 CD box, from which i have had endless pleasure.
                    GLad you are enjoying them ER.
                    IIRC the OP 34 quartet is rather good,so will check that and my memory out later.

talking of Dvorak, the Czech Suite is one of my all time favourite works,bu it doesn't get played as much as I would expect. Would love to hear it live .
                    Thought that one rang a bell ts,just checked and it's the one with Polka that I couldn't/can't get out of my head for ages

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

No takers ?

ER: the completist in me has been somewhat drawn to a complete Dvorak quartets set for many years, being much in love with the later quartets from say Op51 onwards. What has stopped me taking the plunge was an experimental purchase of the Naxos (Vlach 4tet) disc of the D major, no opus but called No 3, B18, 63+ minutes of rambling inconsequence (IMHO) on first playing and I haven't felt strong enough to try it again. But it looks like in your box it takes over 72 mins! Do they really take this so much slower, or have they stuck in a repeat or two to send their listeners properly to sleep??

Then I note the unexplored delights, or not, of the A major Op2 at 39', Bb Op4 at 58'+, then the F min Op9, A mins Op 12 & 16, all over 35'...

I suffered similar boredom and frustration with the 1st symphony, am not so far at all impressed with the 3rd, and haven't dared buy the 2nd. Love the 4th onward and have done for years, and would buy pretty much any mature Dvorak on spec, not that I'm short of many such orch and chamber music opuses. (All the operas might be a bridge too far though...)

Given the above, can anyone reassure me that an investment in these early quartets is really going to be worth my bother??
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                        ER: the completist in me has been somewhat drawn to a complete Dvorak quartets set for many years, being much in love with the later quartets from say Op51 onwards. What has stopped me taking the plunge was an experimental purchase of the Naxos (Vlach 4tet) disc of the D major, no opus but called No 3, B18, 63+ minutes of rambling inconsequence (IMHO) on first playing and I haven't felt strong enough to try it again. But it looks like in your box it takes over 72 mins! Do they really take this so much slower, or have they stuck in a repeat or two to send their listeners properly to sleep??

Then I note the unexplored delights, or not, of the A major Op2 at 39', Bb Op4 at 58'+, then the F min Op9, A mins Op 12 & 16, all over 35'...

I suffered similar boredom and frustration with the 1st symphony, am not so far at all impressed with the 3rd, and haven't dared buy the 2nd. Love the 4th onward and have done for years, and would buy pretty much any mature Dvorak on spec, not that I'm short of many such orch and chamber music opuses. (All the operas might be a bridge too far though...)

Given the above, can anyone reassure me that an investment in these early quartets is really going to be worth my bother??
                        Hi LMP,I posted the following on the records you never play thread

Well,I downloaded the complete Dvorak String Quartets the other day (Stamitz Quartet)to add another 10 cds worth to my collection.
                        I can safely say that I will never listen to the disc containing the 3rd quartet in D Major (B 18) again.
                        The thing lasts an astonishing 73 MINUTES !!! and,to be honest,I don't think the music is interesting enough to warrant such an epic work.
                        So I agree about that one (I note that the Prague Qt on DG take around 70 mins)
                        Re repeats who knows?,the music did seem to repeat itself many times.
                        I think this piece is an exception though,I think the other early quartets are mostly pleasant and interesting to listen to if not especially memorable.
                        Having said that I enjoy the early symphonies so make of that what you will.

Comment

• mikealdren
                          • Nov 2010

I can't find where I saw it recommended on the forum now but I duly ordered the Diogenes Schubert quartets on Brilliant classics and I've now listened to most of them. Strongly recommended, especially at such a good price, thanks to whoever pointed me in their direction.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Apart from the offer on Talisker whisky pointed out on another thread, Amazon UK also seem to be having a 2 for £10 offer on various CDs today. It took a while to find any, and also to test out whether the offer really worked, but I ordered a recently pointed out CD of Havergal Brian (Symphony 6 etc. - normally £5.99) plus the Takacs Quartet playing Britten quartets on Hyperion - normally over £13, and when I put that lot into my basket it did indeed come out at £10 for the 2 x CDs. There's a set of Kovacevitch playing Beethoven concertos with Colin Davis as one of the 2 for £10 deal, so others may like to try. I was slightly tempted, but I have them already I think, so no need to get yet another set. It's not easy to filter the 2 for £10 as well as Classical - so I just started from high value items and worked down - since I'd already decided on the Havergal Brian CD. Took about six pages to get to the deals I wanted.

There do seem to be offers today - not sure why. Others may find a way to filter to get to the bargain offers more easily.

Comment

• Pianorak
                              • Nov 2010

Did anybody get that Idil Biret 20th century piano edition set at ££29.23? Ordered 7 May and still waiting. Amazon lists only one set at £111.99. I have a feeling I'll never get the set.
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                                Did anybody get that Idil Biret 20th century piano edition set at ££29.23? Ordered 7 May and still waiting. Amazon lists only one set at £111.99. I have a feeling I'll never get the set.
                                I'm still waiting too. I have had a couple of delay notifications, the most recent advising a delivery date towards the end of this month, IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                                X