X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    'owd on! From French Amazon it's over £200 cheaper than Amazon UK???!!!
    Whatever happened to the "Ask Hafod" show?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Rejoin emusic

I was sent an offer to rejoin emusic, with £50 to spend, for rejoining for £9.99 per month. Curiosity got the better of me - and there is some new "good stuff", including (for me) curiosities such as Morton Feldman's string quartets. Most likely I will check this out, and download all the stuff which interests me in a month or two, then cancel again, but the company will still be better off for my rejoining, and I might discover some new works or recordings I don't know. Others who previously were members may have been given a similar offer, which in my case runs out today, but I rejoined in time to claim the bonus.

Comment

• mathias broucek
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        I was sent an offer to rejoin emusic, with £50 to spend, for rejoining for £9.99 per month. Curiosity got the better of me - and there is some new "good stuff", including (for me) curiosities such as Morton Feldman's string quartets. Most likely I will check this out, and download all the stuff which interests me in a month or two, then cancel again, but the company will still be better off for my rejoining, and I might discover some new works or recordings I don't know. Others who previously were members may have been given a similar offer, which in my case runs out today, but I rejoined in time to claim the bonus.
        Have they improved the bit rates? These used to be quite low - 170-225 IIRC

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Idil Biret.
          20th Century Piano box.

Seems to be listed twice , at £33 and £60.
          Looks like the same box to me.

listed at £40 on Naxos direct.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Thanks for that TS - ordered from Amazon at £29.23 with free UK delivery. I have great respect for Biret. She's such a fearless trouper. Still remember her Rachmaninov at Brighton, quite a few years ago now.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
              Thanks for that TS - ordered from Amazon at £29.23 with free UK delivery. I have great respect for Biret. She's such a fearless trouper. Still remember her Rachmaninov at Brighton, quite a few years ago now.
              Seconded. I have one of her CDs from a charity shop which I spent some time on with Brasso, as it wouldn't play properly. It was worth the effort. Some of her recordings are excellent, and the box in question seems to go into parts of the piano repertoire that many of us may not dare to visit too often! It should provide some new experiences.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Seconded. I have one of her CDs from a charity shop which I spent some time on with Brasso, as it wouldn't play properly. It was worth the effort. Some of her recordings are excellent, and the box in question seems to go into parts of the piano repertoire that many of us may not dare to visit too often! It should provide some new experiences.
                Shine up your CDs with Brasso
                It's only three halpfence a tin
                You buy it or nick it from Woolworth's
                They prob'ly won't have any in.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                  Agreed. I have quite a number of her CDs on Naxos because in addition to Rachmaninov, Beethoven and various transcriptions of other works, I collected her Chopin project in the early 90s.

I also saw her perform in Istanbul about 20 years ago. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and a composition (piano suite) by her teacher, Wilhelm Kempff.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    Agreed. I have quite a number of her CDs on Naxos because in addition to Rachmaninov, Beethoven and various transcriptions of other works, I collected her Chopin project in the early 90s.

I also saw her perform in Istanbul about 20 years ago. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and a composition (piano suite) by her teacher, Wilhelm Kempff.
                    Perhaps I should give her playing another try. I was very much put of by her slow tempi in the Naxos recordings of Ligeti Études.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

I think I'll go for this set (thanks ts).
                      I also have some of her Chopin Naxos cds and one with a teeny bit of Alkan on it

Alkan's tribute to the railroad.....although maybe the slowest version on Youtube Idil Biret takes us on a trip more than other pianists.....check it out...

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Do you have the Firat disc that is in this set, Beefy?
                        Has a listen this morning,very interesting, and definitely one to listen to again.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

There seems to be an omission of Rachmaninov on a set of c20th music!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Do you have the Firat disc that is in this set, Beefy?
                            Has a listen this morning,very interesting, and definitely one to listen to again.
                            I spotted your earlier post on another thread and made a mental note to search it out and have a listen - it sounds interesting. Been too busy with Baroque and Bruckner of late, so I haven't got around to it yet, but I will. I am unfamiliar with Ertuğrul Fırat, so it will be absorbing.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Perhaps I should give her playing another try. I was very much put of by her slow tempi in the Naxos recordings of Ligeti Études.
                              Funny enough, last November I got chatting to a woman in Istanbul who is the mother of a concert pianist and she made the same point about the Ligeti recordings. She also said that she felt that Idil Biret lacked charm and was rather robotic in her playing. The conversation became entirely positive when I asked if she liked Glenn Gould!

IMV, her Rachmaninov is excellent.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                                • Nov 2010

Several worthwhile 99p bargains in Dutton's May sale, eg RWV 6 LSO/Boult 1949, Menuhin with Enescu, and York Bowen Chamber works (£2.99 for 2CDs).

Comment

Working...
                                X