• Show
Clear All
  • mikealdren
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Kamisama View Post
    Base.com have this forthcoming box priced at £9.99 :

The Art of Midori

CD 1 Paganini: 24 Caprices for Solo Violin, Op. 1
    CD 2 Dvořák: Violin Concerto, Romance, Carnival Overture with New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Zubin Mehta
    CD 3 Live at Carnegie Hall: Beethoven, Strauss, Chopin, Ernst, Debussy, Ravel with Robert McDonald
    CD 4 Encore: Kreisler, Paganini, Fauré, Tchaikovsky, Sarasate with Robert McDonald
    CD 5 Sibelius: Violin Concerto; Bruch: Scottish Fantasy with Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, Zubin Mehta
    CD 6 Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto; Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1 with Berliner Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado
    CD 7 Bach: Unaccompanied Sonata No. 2; Bartók: Sonata No. 1 with Robert McDonald
    CD 8 Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante, Concerto for Violin & Piano with NDR Sinfonieorchester, Christoph Eschenbach
    CD 9 French Violin Sonatas: Debussy, Poulenc, Saint-Saëns with Robert McDonald
    CD 10 Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto; Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1 with Berliner Philharmoniker, Mariss Jansons

Sony 10cds 88875183402
    A bargain but I think I have them all. I think Midori is rather underestimated, she is a very fine violinist and artist.

Mike

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

For those attracted to Beethoven played on historical instruments, this might be of interest.

Around £12.31 including p&p to U.K.
      Last edited by Bryn; 21-01-16, 12:10. Reason: Update.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        For those attracted to Beethoven played on historical instruments, this might be of interest.

... many thanks for this, Bryn - and jpc.de seem to be the cheapest at the moment

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Yes, thanks a lot, Bryn...this one escaped my notice. Still hoping that one day BIS might box up the complete Brautigam Beethoven sonatas and all the other works for solo piano.

And speaking of Tobias Koch, this concert on Through the Night must be well worth a listen - a couple of rare piano concertos played by Mr Koch and Concerto Koln:

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            Yes, thanks a lot, Bryn...this one escaped my notice. Still hoping that one day BIS might box up the complete Brautigam Beethoven sonatas and all the other works for solo piano.

And speaking of Tobias Koch, this concert on Through the Night must be well worth a listen - a couple of rare piano concertos played by Mr Koch and Concerto Koln:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06vnkzl
            If their Mozart solo percussive keyboard recordings are anything to go by, the piano pieces (when do we get the Diabellis) will get boxed, then later the boxed sonatas and other pieces will be combined.

Re. tomorrow's TtN broadcast, please note, only one of the concertos is played by Koch, the other is played by Melnikov. Then they honoured an arrangement to take tea together.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

I've read and reread the wording on the back, and I think I've finally figured out the ambiguity.
              The phrase "Complete Piano Pieces" means that the pieces on the recording are complete, not that the CD set contains all of Beethoven's piano music, complete or otherwise!

The 3 disc set here appears to contain a number of small pieces - not the sonatas, of course, nor the Diabelli Variations.

I'm just not sure that there's sufficient interest here, though I used to enjoy the Op 129 Rage, and some of the Bagarelles are fun, and less trivial than might appear at first.

I might go for it anyway, but it's not top of my list.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                I've read and reread the wording on the back, and I think I've finally figured out the ambiguity.
                The phrase "Complete Piano Pieces" means that the pieces on the recording are complete, not that the CD set contains all of Beethoven's piano music, complete or otherwise!

The 3 disc set here appears to contain a number of small pieces - not the sonatas, of course, nor the Diabelli Variations.

I'm just not sure that there's sufficient interest here, though I used to enjoy the Op 129 Rage, and some of the Bagarelles are fun, and less trivial than might appear at first.

Think of it as the complete pieces which are not designated as sonatas or variations.

Here is what I take to be a complete listing.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

The older Brendel Turnabout recordings are very good in this repertoire. I remember them as cheapo LPs many years ago and now have them on CD.

(I know bugger all about the Bagarelles)

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... the jpc.de site provides this info -

Rondos WoO 48, 49;
                    op. 51 Nr. 1 & 2;
                    Stück "Lustig - traurig" WoO 54;
                    Fuge Hess 46;
                    2 Präludien durch alle Dur-Tonarten op. 39 Nr. 1 & 2;
                    Allegrettos WoO 53 & Hess 69;
                    Rondo a capriccioso G-Dur op. 129 "Die Wut über den verlorenen Groschen";
                    Präludium f-moll WoO. 55;
                    Andante favori F-Dur WoO 57;
                    Polonaise C-Dur op. 89;
                    Fantasie H-Dur op. 77;
                    Bagatellen op. 33, 119, 126; WoO 52, 56, 59, 73; Hess 74;
                    Stück B-Dur WoO 60;
                    Stück h-moll WoO 61 "für Ferdinand Piringer";
                    Stück g-mol WoO 61 "für Sarah Payne";
                    Stück f-moll; Stück C-Dur "Beethovens letzter Gedanke";
                    2 Stücke WoO 51 +Röllig: Kleine und leichte Tonstücke für die Orphika nebst drey Solfeggi für eine Hand allein (Ausz.)

Künstler: Tobias Koch
                    (Tangentenflügel D. F.Schmahl, 1790; Fortepiano Michael Rosenberger, 1805-1810; Fortepiano Conrad Graf 1827 / 28 op. 1207; Patent=Piano=Forte Nanette Streicher & Sohn, 1827, No. 1977; Orphika Wien nach 1800)

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      The Opus 126 set is a masterpiece.
                      Last edited by Bryn; 22-01-16, 12:11.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        The older Brendel Turnabout recordings are very good in this repertoire. I remember them as cheapo LPs many years ago and now have them on CD.

I picked up a Philips CD of Brendel doing Bagatelles in a charity shop a year or two back. Really good, but I don't want those every day. Are the earlier recordings you mention still available in some form? I used to enjoy Brendel's early Vox or Turnabout recordings of some sonatas too.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

The Opus 126 set is a masterpiece.
                          - but I think gurny was referring to the Typo (which suggests that they might be described as "masrerpieces")?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

I picked up a Philips CD of Brendel doing Bagatelles in a charity shop a year or two back. Really good, but I don't want those every day. Are the earlier recordings you mention still available in some form? I used to enjoy Brendel's early Vox or Turnabout recordings of some sonatas too.
                            Brendel's entire Vox/Turnabout recordings are available in a single purchase:

- 35 CDs for around £45 still figures on a "Bargains" Thread
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              - but I think gurny was referring to the Typo (which suggests that they might be described as "masrerpieces")?
                              The text is so small on this 11" laptop screen, and my near sight sufficiently weak that I did not even notice the "r" for "t" typo.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Alerted to a one-day offer (22 Jan only) from the river people of a £10 discount on purchases over £50, I opted for the ICA CD boxset, Tribute to Rudolph Barshai, after being impressed by a recent DVD acquisition, Rudolf Barshai, The Note. ICA boxset priced at £51.58, I entered at Checkout, the code BIGTHANKS, - using caps and
                                run-on -, and the price was adjusted. Confirmation and delivery date followed. A good deal, methinks.

Comment

Working...
                                X