Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roehre

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    As a rule of thumb, a down from the Hurwitz is read by me as an up. He is, after all, the guy who thinks flutter-tongue is the same thing as vibrato, and that Mahler's marking of vibrando also refers to vibrato.
    Applies to me as well
    Last edited by Guest; 18-12-15, 11:07.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      Applies to me as well
      You are the same thing as flutter-tongue??

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        You are the same thing as flutter-tongue??
        Whatever! Now down to £21.25 - so worth a punt.

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

At Amazon.es:

Fritz Reiner - The Complete Chicago Symphony Recordings €73 (63cd)

Bertini's Mahler cycle for €15.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

I see the Glenn Gould Complete Columbia box is up for grabs again this afternoon. Can anyone here recall how much it was on offer for in previous listings of the amazon.de lightning deals? amazon.it are currently asking €133.90 plus p&p, which is rather less than the standard amazon.de price.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

I see the Glenn Gould Complete Columbia box is up for grabs again this afternoon. Can anyone here recall how much it was on offer for in previous listings of the amazon.de lightning deals? amazon.it are currently asking €133.90 plus p&p, which is rather less than the standard amazon.de price.
              Only just noticed the USB stick version - more expensive

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Only just noticed the USB stick version - more expensive
                Yes, quite bizarre, that, and not just more expensive, but much more so.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

I think that it was the standard price, less 20% but I wouldn't guarantee the accuracy of my memory of it (it was certainly not less than 20%). One box too many for me, although the documentation/packaging of these big Sony boxes (Boulez; Stravinsky) is alluring.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                    I think that it was the standard price, less 20% but I wouldn't guarantee the accuracy of my memory of it (it was certainly not less than 20%). One box too many for me, although the documentation/packaging of these big Sony boxes (Boulez; Stravinsky) is alluring.
                    Thanks. Not so different from the current amazon.it price then.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Not perhaps a bargain, but does anybody know if this box was actually released?

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Not perhaps a bargain, but does anybody know if this box was actually released?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...SIN=B007IZ65HW
                        It's not listed in the catalogue on the col legno site, although the individual CDs are still available separately:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          It's not listed in the catalogue on the col legno site, although the individual CDs are still available separately:

https://www.col-legno.com/en/home/
                          I have a suspicion that it may in fact never have been issued. I can't find any evidence of its actual existence, despite some reasonably thorough investigation.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

on qobuz, they got szell's cleveland brahms cycle plus some odds'n sods for £3.99. worth a punt? i'm not familiar with these performances

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              on qobuz, they got szell's cleveland brahms cycle plus some odds'n sods for £3.99. worth a punt? i'm not familiar with these performances
                              Yes! I haven't heard 'em in years, but Szell's firey, dry-eyed Brahms performances are a steal at £3.99!

(Come to think of it - I can't think of any Szell performance that isn't top notch ... his reorchestrations of the Schumann symphonies, perhaps ... )
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Yes! I haven't heard 'em in years, but Szell's firey, dry-eyed Brahms performances are a steal at £3.99!

(Come to think of it - I can't think of any Szell performance that isn't top notch ... his reorchestrations of the Schumann symphonies, perhaps ... )
                                I'm probably thinking with "rose tinted" ears, but Szell's Schumann was pretty good, though so also was Karajan's - a conductor whose work for a long while I did not like much, and a few others - Kubelik's and Sawallisch's for example. One Szell recording I thought was superb was his version of Beethoven's 5th coupled with Sibelius 5 and the Concertgebouw Orchestra. I think I could still prefer that to Honeck's Beethoven, under discussion in another thread round here. Some of Szell's recordings were rather dry or harsh when released, as also some other CBS recordings of the period (e.g. Bernstein NYPO), but some of these have cleaned up well in recent remasterings. Szell's Beethoven Symphony and Concerto recordings are worth looking out for, if they come round on offer, though perhaps ensure that the remastering is of good quality to avoid some of the stridency.

Comment

Working...
                                X