• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Many thanks!

Already got the DG Boulez, but I'm after that Boulez Columbia Box (unlike Bryn, I don't have many duplicates). But even though 20% off is great, I will hang out in the hope that I'll find it cheaper - I'm not in a hurry, so parsimony wins the day!
    its a few euros cheaper at 89 euros on Amazon France, Beefy.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      But that's €9.01 more than the current amazon.de price.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Amazon.de is €79.99 for about another 2 hours (that's a shade under £65.00, including delivery). Worth every penny - unlike certain other Sony/BMG boxes which are pretty basic, it has been handsomely produced. 1 x Boulez box (the contents of which will last maybe a lifetime) vs 3 x bottles of 10 year old malt whisky (which, deeply pleasurable as their contents may be as they slip down the throat, will vanish). "Le marteau sans maître" or Glenmcauchtermuchty - no contest, really.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Cheers!

Think I'll hang on, though.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

Oh Beefy, c'mon .... treat yourself - it's Christmas after all .....

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              Oh Beefy, c'mon .... treat yourself - it's Christmas after all .....
              I've bought a disgusting amount of music lately and I really must start behaving.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

The HvK Opera box seems to be available at 20.00 so presumably 19.00 GMT?

Will investigate this but like Beefy I'm buying far too much lately
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

some more interesting sets upcoming on Amazon DE.

including the Harmonia Mundi 50 CD set, and boxes from Martha Argerich, and Perlman.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

some more interesting sets upcoming on Amazon DE.

including the Harmonia Mundi 50 CD set, and boxes from Martha Argerich, and Perlman.
                    These timed sales have been running for some two weeks and these sets have done the rounds at least three times. There is no information for how long such 'sales' will run for - possibly to the end of the week?

Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra - The Complete Sony Recordings: 47 cds €36

This set is not in the timed sale but has been at this low price for over a week now. I put this in the basket just before the Argerich came up last time and bought the two together. The delivery charge increased only nominally.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                      These timed sales have been running for some two weeks and these sets have done the rounds at least three times. There is no information for how long such 'sales' will run for - possibly to the end of the week?

This set is not in the timed sale but has been at this low price for over a week now. I put this in the basket just before the Argerich came up last time and bought the two together. The delivery charge increased only nominally.
                      A very fine set, but I have nearly all the recordings in it already. I would very much recommend it to others, however.

Comment

• hafod
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post

The Romantics - Jubiläumsbox Roger Norrington zum 80. - Roger Norrington, Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart des SWR. This 10cd box can be had for €19 at Am.De, is not in the timed sales and is also well worth adding to a daily sale item. I know Norrington's work can be divisive but I find he has much to say and makes a refreshing change.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

The Stuttgarter Kammerorchester/Dennis Russell Davies complete Haydn symphonies (plus B flat Sinfonia Concertante) was delivered next door yesterday and passed to me this morning. At £23.22 including p&p it seemed to be useful a supplement to the Adam Fischer set and all but 79 and 81 in various 'HIPP' recordings I have accumulated over the years. In a way, the Stuttgarter Kammerorchester might be considered a half way house to HIPP (Historically Informed but not entirely Historically Instrumented, though baroque bows are used). These are concert recordings, and I have started with 80, 81 and 79 (the symphonies are ordered on the discs according to current best assessment of their chronology of composition.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            The Stuttgarter Kammerorchester/Dennis Russell Davies complete Haydn symphonies (plus B flat Sinfonia Concertante) was delivered next door yesterday and passed to me this morning. At £23.22 including p&p it seemed to be useful a supplement to the Adam Fischer set and all but 79 and 81 in various 'HIPP' recordings I have accumulated over the years. In a way, the Stuttgarter Kammerorchester might be considered a half way house to HIPP (Historically Informed but not entirely Historically Instrumented, though baroque bows are used). These are concert recordings, and I have started with 80, 81 and 79 (the symphonies are ordered on the discs according to current best assessment of their chronology of composition.

Seems a reasonable enough buy from Amazon UK (currently £22.17 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-The-Co.../dp/B001NBS5NE ), though David Hurwitz doesn't like the set much. http://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-15256/

That doesn't necessarily mean very much though - what do you think?

Amazon UK customers seem to give it the thumbs up!

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

That is truly an amazing bargain - but each time I see a complete Haydn symphony set, I feel so sad that Hogwood's cycle was never completed.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Seems a reasonable enough buy from Amazon UK (currently £22.17 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-The-Co.../dp/B001NBS5NE ), though David Hurwitz doesn't like the set much. http://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-15256/

That doesn't necessarily mean very much though - what do you think?

Amazon UK customers seem to give it the thumbs up!
                                As a rule of thumb, a down from the Hurwitz is read by me as an up. He is, after all, the guy who thinks flutter-tongue is the same thing as vibrato, and that Mahler's marking of vibrando also refers to vibrato. Re. this Haydn set, he starts out dismissing it due to a printer's error. The Germans original "vierzig" get printed as "four" in the English version, and a poor edit (this is a Sony product, so that's what one has come to expect. )*. That sets the tone for the rest of the review. Antony Hodgson does a much more thorough, considered and enlightening job in his review.

* I have now checked out the edit Hurwitz refers to. It is somewhat start, but not that disconcerting[sic]. These are, after all, live recordings and my guess (it can only be that) is that this edit was made to remove some extraneous sound or other, though it could also be the result of cobbling together recordings of two concerts or rehearsal takes.
                                Last edited by Bryn; 18-12-15, 11:21. Reason: Update.

Comment

Working...
                                X