X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I've always been content with a couple of Pelleas & Melisande CD boxsets on the shelves, both on EMI. The HvK/BP 'Great Recordings of the Century' set in ravishing sound, 1979, remastered in 1999 and the EMI 'references' boxset, 1941, remastered by Keith Hardwick from 78s in 1988,Orchestre Symphonique/Roger Desormiere - bonus material include Melodies, Maggie Teyte/Alfred Cortot, 1936, with P & M extracts from Mary Garden and Debussy, 1904. Both sets a treasure in so many ways.

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

The Sony 'Verdi - Great Opera Recordings' box (30CDs) is available on Amazon for £19.99.
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• AmpH
        • Feb 2012

The Tchaikovsky Edition on Brilliant Classics at a decent price:-

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

anybody bought the Brilliant Classics Schumann Edition 45 CD box? or got a full listing of performers?

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

This is for downloads
            The eclassical site (BIS +other labels) is running a daiy discounted offer through advent. Priced by the minute, with a 50% discount on the first day the 2 recordings are offered. For example, today "Phoenix Rising" by Stile Antico - $9.66 if 24 bit (Hi Res) floats your boat, or $8.17 for 16 bit (ordinary, CD res) lossless if you can't hear the difference. (And Mozart Clarinet Concerto and Quintet with M Frost).
            eClassical Christmas Calendar 2023 We are celebrating 24 years(!) in business this december with our traditional special pre-Christmas promotion. Every day in December you

If you are going there, you might be tempted by the current bundle offers (make sure you select the "all" button as the full range will show up.
            Download Classical Music in lossless High Resolution FLAC & MP3 formats, and learn about Classical Music. Refund Policy, No DRM protection and pricing is per second.
            Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 02-12-15, 15:47.

Comment

• johnb
              • Mar 2007

The Brilliant Classics Complete Beethoven Box (86 CDs) is currently on an Amazon Lightening Deal at £45.99. The deal ends at approx 8:30pm this evening.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Now, and for the next 13 minutes, amazon.de have the Brilliant Classics Mozart edition (170 CDs) for €59.99 plus p&p (just under £50 including p&p to UK).

You must act really fast though.

Comment

• remdataram
                  • Mar 2011

The New Daniel Harding Mahler Symphony No.6 recording is available for download in HiRes from Qobuz for just £7.99 - an excellent bargain.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
                    The New Daniel Harding Mahler Symphony No.6 recording is available for download in HiRes from Qobuz for just £7.99 - an excellent bargain.
                    Thanks for the heads-up on this, mine's downloading as I type.

I was just thinking that I needed another Mahler 6

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Stealing a leaf from Bryn's book - and the last one may already have gone - but German Amazon have the Karajan Opera box for a very limited time for 79.99 euros plus postage - it ends at 15.30 GMT this afternoon.

See: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00U...A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

There may be a catch about Prime but perhaps not.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        Thanks for the heads-up on this, mine's downloading as I type.

I was just thinking that I needed another Mahler 6
                        Hiya Beefy,

I have reviewed the Harding/Mahler 6 on BR Klassik and I found it rather lacklustre. There are much better alternatives around.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                          There are much better alternatives around.
                          Indeed, I have around 14 better alternatives, already!

However, the 'lacklustre' element could be a perception concerning Harding's refusal to get all histrionic about it and instead deliver a performance with a clearer overall 'shape' and no neurotic distractions.

It's only been in my possession for a day and a half, but I've already played it through 3 times. There's something about it that I find very appealing. I can almost put up with his putting the andante ahead of the scherzo!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Indeed, I have around 14 better alternatives, already!

However, the 'lacklustre' element could be a perception concerning Harding's refusal to get all histrionic about it and instead deliver a performance with a clearer overall 'shape' and no neurotic distractions.

It's only been in my possession for a day and a half, but I've already played it through 3 times. There's something about it that I find very appealing. I can almost put up with his putting the andante ahead of the scherzo!
                            Hiya Beefy,

What I will say is the Bavarian RSO is a world class orchestra with a terrific sound. Every recording they make is worthy of attention.

As part of the 'Berlin Musikfest 2015' I recall reporting from a stunning Mahler 6 played by the touring Boston Symphony Orchestra under Andris Nelsons in September this year at the Philharmonie, Berlin. Michael Tilson Thomas was in the audiance sat a few seats away.

Comment

• Parry1912
                              • Nov 2010

I can almost put up with his putting the andante ahead of the scherzo!
                              Doing it properly, you mean.
                              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• remdataram
                                • Mar 2011

One advantage of downloads is that we can put movements in any order we like.

Harding does give us a way worthy of hearing, along with others in our collections - for silly money.

Comment

Working...
                                X