• Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

Mozart: The Symphonies (19cd): AAM Hogwood: €20.45,

Comment

• hafod
      • Nov 2010

Beethoven - Complete Masterpieces (60cd). Just over 19 quid new from Marketplace sellers.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
        Beethoven - Complete Masterpieces (60cd). Just over 19 quid new from Marketplace sellers.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000NDEMAI/
        At this price it might be rude to refuse. One reviewer provided a list of works - http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3SG3...wasThisHelpful

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          At this price it might be rude to refuse. One reviewer provided a list of works - http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3SG3...wasThisHelpful
          It is a bit of a mixed bag, but an absolute 'no brainer' at the price.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

A very useful link to the List of works - many thanks, Dave. (Too many duplications for me.)

But ...

... none of his Lieder? (I can see the British Isles folk songs arrangements - but nothing else for voice & piano.)
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              A very useful link to the List of works - many thanks, Dave. (Too many duplications for me.)

But ...

... none of his Lieder? (I can see the British Isles folk songs arrangements - but nothing else for voice & piano.)
              nothing I can see in my box Liederwise, other than the British Isles CD.

Anything missing clearly isn't a masterpiece, as the box helpfully suggests......
              Last edited by teamsaint; 15-10-15, 20:07.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I passed over that one several times before in shops, when it cost considerably more. I have some (all) of Zinman's symphonies already (inherited from elsewhere) - but there must be other material which is worth checking out to justify the cost - as Bryn says - at that price a no brainer. Only possible snag is it now increases the chances of further duplication if I ever get round to the Zinman box - which I think has some decent Mahler recordings.

On the other hand, if we are all to become criminals for having duplicated "back up" copies for use in cars and other locations, then maybe having a genuine duplicate set of some pieces is not such a bad thing. Just think - stop and search could apply to cars fitted with those CD players which automatically back up the discs to hard drive or flash memory! OK - I know not really - as "only" a civil offence.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  nothing I can see in my box, other than the British Isles CD

Anything missing clearly isn't a masterpiece, as the box helpfully suggests......
                  Quite so, which is why the box includes Wellingtons Sieg.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Quite so, which is why the box includes Wellingtons Sieg.
                    Should have been given the boot?

Anyway,I would be interested in views on the Yokayama performances of the Piano Sonatas, ( the "set "is mostly but most exclusively him), which I couldn't raise much interest in discussing elsewhere on the board.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Should have been given the boot?

Anyway,I would be interested in views on the Yokayama performances of the Piano Sonatas, ( the "set "is mostly but most exclusively him), which I couldn't raise much interest in discussing elsewhere on the board.
                      ts

Do you have the Zinman symphonies already? If not I'd have said a few years ago that it would almost have been worth it for those alone. OTOH, it's possible to get any number of very decent Beethoven symphony sets these days for under £15 - maybe even under £10. So you'd have to justify about £10-15's worth for the remaining 55 or so CDs.

Re the piano sonatas they're not only by Yokayama but also by Charles Rosen, Vladimir Horowitz, Justus Frantz, Gerhard Oppitz, Robert Casadesus. Some of those guys have/had form!

There's also Pinchas Zukerman in the violin sonatas - though I don't know his accompanist - George Neikrug.

Anner Bylsma/Jos van Immerseel in the cello sonatas can't be bad, can they? Though I might just have them in another set. I'm also "suspicious" about Ormandy's version of the Mount of Olives thing - not because I think it's bad, but because I think it appeared in another "good value" Sony box a year or two back, so duplication.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

ts - I think you already have the Zuckerman/Neikrug Violin Sonatas Dave mentions? Ruddy good, aren't they?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Anner Bylsma/Jos van Immerseel in the cello sonatas can't be bad, can they?
                          They're excellent - I have them in the SONY box with the Piano and the Violin Concertos: copies of instruments contemporaneous with the works themselves - unlike the modern instruments of the Violin Sonatas.

The String Trios are brilliant performances, too.

Any opinions on the Piano Trios? (Period or modern instruments, f'rinstance.)

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

well, answers to and opinions about lots of the above just went west as the intenet conked out for a bit.

so, again....briefly..

The Seraphin Trio don't use period keyboard instruments .

Zukerman Sonatas. Lovely. his performance of No 10 is special , just listened to the first movement, the end is quite stunning.

The set gave me a good chance to listen to the Zinman. which was an interesting experience.

The Alexanders SQ are well worth having.

and the Piano Sonatas are an interesting mix . I enjoyed some of the Yokoyama recordings for what it is worth.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

nothing I can see in my box Liederwise, other than the British Isles CD.

I suspect most people would not regard the folksong settings as masterpieces, entertaining novelties as they might be. I would also have expected An die ferne Geliebte and some other songs to be on such a collection. I got the 100CD Brilliant box which came out in 2007 which really is complete with 6 (six!) CDs of folksongs many newly recorded for the project and most likely not available elsewhere. You also got 4CDs of Lieder (three with Peter Schreier and one with newly recorded rarities). With that on the shelf, I don't feel the need for another big Beethoven box.

Comment

Working...
                                X