Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robk
    • Nov 2010

My copy of the Ogdon Box arrived today. Many thanks to Hafod. Happily ripping away this evening.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Apologies if this has already been flagged.

I have most of this stuff but anyone fancying a super Elgar collection for around 20 sovs (Amazon) should fill their boots.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Re Elgar/Boult - msg 5537 - there's also a RVW/Boult box - 13 CDs - same supplier. Having just had a rather cheap RVW box I'm not sure I'd want another, but someone else might like it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sir-Adrian-B...lt+box+vaughan

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Apologies if this has already been flagged.

I have most of this stuff but anyone fancying a super Elgar collection for around 20 sovs (Amazon) should fill their boots.

At first glance think got most of this, at a second look I have gaps with some of the early stuff and the vocal stuff. Maybe worth popping on the Amazon list for later.

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            It's a cracker IMVVHO
            Nothing VVH about your opinion - it is a cracker!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Re Elgar/Boult - msg 5537 - there's also a RVW/Boult box - 13 CDs - same supplier. Having just had a rather cheap RVW box I'm not sure I'd want another, but someone else might like it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sir-Adrian-B...lt+box+vaughan
              Super bargain that Dave but again I have all this stuff,ideal for someone who needs an instant RVW collection.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                At first glance think got most of this, at a second look I have gaps with some of the early stuff and the vocal stuff. Maybe worth popping on the Amazon list for later.
                If it's just the 'big 3' choral works you need cloughie,there's this

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  If it's just the 'big 3' choral works you need cloughie,there's this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new
                  Thanks edge but I think they would be the bonus to the 50s and earlier orchestral bits.

Comment

• johnb
                    • Mar 2007

Re Dvorak Symphony No 9 - Ancerl, Wiener Symphoniker

I drew a blank on trying to search on Amazon -I guess they've not latched on to the Sola Musica label! The recording is available as a download on the BnF label on iTunes for £2.49 including Moldau. Has anyone any experience of downloads from this label?
                    cloughie, I've now sampled both the new release on the Sola Musica label and the previous release on BnF and they both seem to be derived from the same or similar masters (i.e. LP issue). Both are in mono and both leave quite a lot to be desired as far as the sound quality is concerned (rather dull with a bass that tends to boom).

Out of interest I got out my 50+ year old LP and resurrected my turntable. The LP definitely shows all the misuse it has endured over the years and is certainly not something anyone would want to listen to but .... the underlying sound is much clearer than either of the two recent releases, and the tendency to bass "boomy-ness" is greatly reduced ... and it is in stereo (which makes a terrific difference).

I have seen a copy of the same LP on sale on the web and (perhaps foolishly) have ordered it. In the unlikely event that the LP is in decent nick I'll digitise it. If you are interested I'll let you know the results.

(Apologies for going off topic.)

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Nice cover. I've not seen that one before.
                      [Ancerl: New World]

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by johnb View Post

cloughie, I've now sampled both the new release on the Sola Musica label and the previous release on BnF and they both seem to be derived from the same or similar masters (i.e. LP issue). Both are in mono and both leave quite a lot to be desired as far as the sound quality is concerned (rather dull with a bass that tends to boom).

Out of interest I got out my 50+ year old LP and resurrected my turntable. The LP definitely shows all the misuse it has endured over the years and is certainly not something anyone would want to listen to but .... the underlying sound is much clearer than either of the two recent releases, and the tendency to bass "boomy-ness" is greatly reduced ... and it is in stereo (which makes a terrific difference).

I have seen a copy of the same LP on sale on the web and (perhaps foolishly) have ordered it. In the unlikely event that the LP is in decent nick I'll digitise it. If you are interested I'll let you know the results.

(Apologies for going off topic.)
                        Certainly would johnb - always an element of risk with old vinyl but sometimes have to go for it.

Comment

• soileduk
                          • Nov 2010

This may qualify as a bargain as it is less than a Fiver all in. Some rather nice Weinberg.

Comment

• hafod
                            • Nov 2010

Shostakovich: Symphonies - Kitajenko (Capriccio) 12 sacds for £17.41 delivered. This appears to be a flip top box not the earlier jewel case .

Comment

• johnb
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by johnb View Post

Certainly would johnb - always an element of risk with old vinyl but sometimes have to go for it.
                              cloughie,

The LP arrived today - fairly crackly in places but much better than my old LP. I've copied it to HDD (Rega Turntable -> Meridian G92 24/96 digital out -> Focusrite Saffire LE soundcard 24/96 -> PC -> Audacity [as I couldn't get Sound Forge ASIO to work]). I used Sound Forge to manually repair the few big clicks, then used its noise and crackle plugins, which have cleaned up the sound up reasonably effectively, at least when listening via loudspeakers.

PM sent.

[Later Edit] Although the Karel Ancerl website gives the recent Solo Musica (mono), the previous BnF (mono) and the Fontana stereo as all being recorded in the Musikverein Grosser Saal, Wien on 08-10 Feb 1958, it looks as though the mono and stereo recordings might well be derived from separate takes.

(Once again - apologies for going off topic.)
                              Last edited by johnb; 24-06-15, 01:05.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Not quite all of them, and those I have are mainly in their LP or recent mp3 manifestations. They don't all seem to be from the Sony stable. At least one started out on Wergo. I have grabbed the used box from France. It will probably be here in a couple of days. There will, of course, be not booklet. Just the 10 CDs in card slip-cases.

Details:

Ah. I misremembered. Not Wergo but RCA Victoria, which is now in the Sony stable. I collected my set of the new CDs from the local sorting office today. The new Royal Mail post deliverer had falsely claimed the package to be too large for the letter slot. I had no trouble pushing it through when I got it home. Errol, who the new person has replaced, would not have failed to deliver it.

Comment

Working...
                                X