• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Another cheap set at the moment is this set of Martinu symphonies - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_i=typ01 - though the performances are probably not in the same league as Behlohlavek's - but the Behlohlavek set costs considerably more. [Incidentally, only one of the CDs in this collection will rip properly in iTunes 10.5 .... but I expect that won't affect many people.]
    I have not heard the symphonies as recorded under Belohlavek's baton, but if they reflect his direction of Juliette at the Barbican, I think I will stick with what I already have.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
      I ordered this having seen your posting, and hve received a number of apologetic auto responses from Sainsbury saying it's out of stock but trying to get it. Anyone had better luck?
      Exactly the same here, barber - getting mightily fed up with their 'so sorry-would you like to cancel' email every three days or so.

Comment

• amateur51

Panjandrum

Re contracts, I suspect an enthusiastic angler related person might disagree. Not much you can do anyway - they'll either deliver or not - what'ya goin' to do if they don't?! Sue
        No but there's nothing worse for a business than a story about poor service being spread about, is there

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Indeed a51, and this Forum gets heavily botted. Content of messages posted here gets noted by Google very quickly in my experience.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Indeed a51, and this Forum gets heavily botted. Content of messages posted here gets noted by Google very quickly in my experience.
            For the second time this evening ...

Blimey!

What does this mean in practical terms, Bryn?

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Well, anyone Googling for the name of the company concerned is fairly likely to find messages here being offered as 'hits' in the next few days. We'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

• amateur51

Well, anyone Googling for the name of the company concerned is fairly likely to find messages here being offered as 'hits' in the next few days. We'll just have to wait and see.
                *sound of falling coinage in NW2*!

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Ah! I keep forgetting this isn't quite the same as the old bbc site, where the bots were never allowed in. So if we want to whinge about a company's service we have to put all the details in one post, maybe? I doubt that Google is clever enough to join several posts together and "read" them.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                    I ordered this having seen your posting, and hve received a number of apologetic auto responses from Sainsbury saying it's out of stock but trying to get it. Anyone had better luck?
                    Sorry I haven't yet 'taken the plunge'.So many things on my wish list,you know how it is.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

I've just found out that Gardiner's Beethoven symphonies has been re-issued in a bargain box - under £15 for all 5 CDs is irresistible for me, who never got round to hearing the set first time round.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                        I've just found out that Gardiner's Beethoven symphonies has been re-issued in a bargain box - under £15 for all 5 CDs is irresistible for me, who never got round to hearing the set first time round.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
                        Good, but I got them for under £12. Definitelly worthwhile though, I think.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Good, but I got them for under £12. Definitelly worthwhile though, I think.
                          Gloating's all very well - but a hint as to where you found your bargain might be more helpful!

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            Gloating's all very well - but a hint as to where you found your bargain might be more helpful!
                            Sorry! It was exactly the same site as yours. Amazon's prices do go up and down - like share prices!
                            I can't guarantee that you'll get a better price if you wait, and you might find that prices go up, not down!

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

I have not heard the symphonies as recorded under Belohlavek's baton, but if they reflect his direction of Juliette at the Barbican, I think I will stick with what I already have.
                              Bryn

Do you have Spotify? Several people have really rated Behlohlavek's Martinu, but if you're not sure you can listen to them there e.g. http://open.spotify.com/track/2I246asAfdcjZhk8sm4Owv i thought his performances did sound more involving than the cheap set by Jarvi, but heck, at around £5 you can hardly go wrong, if the price is still that.

Comment

• barber olly

MMmmm. The price is now £3 cheaper than when I ordered it, and my set hasn't arrived yet!
                                Indeed an interesting looking box - not for me as I already have many of the discs. However I wonder how the compiler with the the wealth of the Decca catalogue at his/her command decided on what should be included or regrettably had to omit. Given the job, which 10 Decca LPs/CDs would have to be in your box? FF - a quick afterthought - maybe this should be a separate thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X