X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    As a general rule, I can't bothered or indeed see the point of burning downloads to CD - especially if shelf space is a factor. I have occasionally done it with albums which were only available as downloads or where the CD is absurdly more expensive (for example).
    There can be merits in having CDs, for example to play in the car, or in other locations without having to lug a computer around. Of course many people now use the so-called Cloud, and downloads can be put onto a USB memory stick, which some modern car players can accept.

Some CDs still come with useful booklets and notes - though many don't - and some downloads do include the notes and artwork. The much more compact form of downloads can be a great advantage for some. Personally I only tend to buy downloads if they are very much cheaper than the equivalent CDs. A lot would depend on the nature of one's collection, how it gets used etc. This is of particular interest to very mobile users--100s of CDs can be stored on an iPad or similar, and if streaming works (it doesn't always) then good access to large collections is possible. Amazon's Auto Rip can be useful, though I tend only to use that if the prices for the discs arent too inflated compared with other sources or market place sellers.

Where downloads could have an advantage is for better than CD quality "master" recordings, though the downloads may take a relatively long time, take up a lot of computer storage space, and cost more. Many people are not prepared to pay very significantly more for what may, for them, turn out to be fairly minimal quality differences, since audio quality also depends on the replay equipment, and their replay kit may limit the possible perceived quality,

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Arrived just now. Mahler: 8CDs from 78s. I got in quick before my New Year's resolution kicks in.

Comment

• silvestrione
        • Jan 2011

I see Presto have the Barenboim DG Beethoven Sonatas for £25.35. Anyone know if these are recommendable? I have his EMI set, which has some classic performances in it.

Comment

• silvestrione
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
          I see Presto have the Barenboim DG Beethoven Sonatas for £25.35. Anyone know if these are recommendable? I have his EMI set, which has some classic performances in it.
          That would be a no, then!

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
            That would be a no, then!
            Looks that way!

I'm happy with my Wilhelm Kempff set, for what it's worth.

Comment

• muzzer
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              But hang on.... what's this?

Can it be true?

THIRTEEN discs of Jörg Demus's Schumann for ...

... £10.91??

Seems so !!!!

Can these be the 70s performances you mean, Micky?

(There's a discussion about their provenance here: [ul]http://classicalmusicguide.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11000[/url] )
              Thanks again for this. Family Schumann expert very happy with his Christmas present.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

This may well fall into the "to good to be true" category, but worth a punt for the Zinman symphonies and a good bit else at 15 notes?

Big Beethoven box including the Zinman symhonies and the Alexander quartets complete (earlier?) cycle.

I ordered one from Dodax, who are one of the serial non supliers, IIRC.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  This may well fall into the "to good to be true" category, but worth a punt for the Zinman symphonies and a good bit else at 15 notes?

Big Beethoven box including the Zinman symhonies and the Alexander quartets complete (earlier?) cycle.

I ordered one from Dodax, who are one of the serial non supliers, IIRC.
                  Had a couple of problems with Dodax, but on the whole, they've been alright. I must say that when I order from them, I wonder if all will be ok. But it might say more about the fact that Amazon market sellers are excellent, on the whole.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    Had a couple of problems with Dodax, but on the whole, they've been alright. I must say that when I order from them, I wonder if all will be ok. But it might say more about the fact that Amazon market sellers are excellent, on the whole.
                    Cheers Beefy..fingers crossed. Little birthday pressie to self, hopefully !!
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Cheers Beefy..fingers crossed. Little birthday pressie to self, hopefully !!
                      How did you get it for 15 Sovs?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

How did you get it for 15 Sovs?
                        Used. nagiry still listing it I think.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Used. nagiry still listing it I think.
                          Yes, still there. With P&P £15.76. I have used Nagiry a few times and had the odd problem, but overall they are ok. Can't remember, are they from outside the EU?

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Yes, still there. With P&P £15.76. I have used Nagiry a few times and had the odd problem, but overall they are ok. Can't remember, are they from outside the EU?

Doesnt seem to say. i assume they are the same as Dodax online UK, who say they deliver from uk, though Nairy dont say that.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Doesnt seem to say. i assume they are the same as Dodax online UK, who say they deliver from uk, though Nairy dont say that.
                              Ok, was just wondering about the £15.50 (incl p&p) outer EU limit before duty charges. If they are UK, then no prob.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Ok, was just wondering about the £15.50 (incl p&p) outer EU limit before duty charges. If they are UK, then no prob.
                                I was wondering about that.
                                is the limit £15 ? does the limit include the p and p ?

good thinking though....

Comment

Working...
                                X