Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

David Oistrakh: The Complete EMI Recordings: 17 discs (Warner) - £16.51 from AmUk.

Messiaen Complete Edition: 'Decca' 32 discs - €51.80 @ AmIt. (Apologies if this has been posted already).

Comment

• Conchis
      Banned
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by hafod View Post
      David Oistrakh: The Complete EMI Recordings: 17 discs (Warner) - £16.51 from AmUk.

Messiaen Complete Edition: 'Decca' 32 discs - €51.80 @ AmIt. (Apologies if this has been posted already).
      http://www.amazon.it/dp/B001D94L1Q/r...I2ZQV3B0FY4X4L

Has that Oistrakh set ever been cheaper, i wonder?

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

The details of the Oistrakh set can be found here: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/2147122

Both MDT and Presto Classics have the set at a smidgeon over £20.

It looks like an interesting box but recently I have bought two boxes mainly because they were bargains only to realise that I will probably never listen to most of the discs in them.

Meantime I've been eyeing the DG Pires box but haven't bought it because it isn't bargain basement. This strikes me as silly. So I've made a resolution to only buy sets that I really desire and recordings that I know that I will eventually listen to.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          Muchas gracias! Dedos cruzados.
          Well, seems the Real Chopin will materialize - although a bit dubious about tomorrow. But what's the hurry?
          La fecha estimada de entrega es:
          sábado, 08 de noviembre de 2014
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by johnb View Post
            ... I've made a resolution to only buy sets that I really desire and recordings that I know that I will eventually listen to.
            An excellent resolution, johnb, one that I, too, have made. Many, many times. The longest I've lasted is two weeks. Strong will-power? Alas, no: computer problems meaning that I can't access my various online accounts!

Complete Chopin on contemporary instruments, though ....
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Byron Janis: The Complete RCA Collection

I've received confirmation that my order for the above 12 CD set is due for delivery soon. It's priced at £10.19 and I ordered it in the Summer. They kept up-dating me frequently about how they were having trouble sourcing it and inviting me to cancel if I was fed up with waiting.

I'm delighted ... and amazed that Amazon blinked first

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

And so it came to pass that Ami took delivery of the obscure novel The Complete RCA Collection by Ron Janis.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  I've received confirmation that my order for the above 12 CD set is due for delivery soon. It's priced at £10.19 and I ordered it in the Summer. They kept up-dating me frequently about how they were having trouble sourcing it and inviting me to cancel if I was fed up with waiting.

Wow - you got that for 3p less than I did, but then I've had mine for a while. I hope yours does actually arrive.

Seems there's still a Puccini set which I don't expect ever to see.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    And so it came to pass that Ami took delivery of the obscure novel The Complete RCA Collection by Ron Janis.
                    Coulda bin worse ferney - by L Ron Hubbard

Comment

• hafod
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

There are some very short measure discs in that set - 23.52, 32.56, 38.44, 35.36, 43.51, 45.32, 37.32, 35.34, 41.01, 46.16 and 15.57 (admittedly a bonus disc) + a dvd at 55.47; but at 10 quid it is a bargain.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Have ordered this, despite now having some duplicated CDs to dispose of: the complete Columbia recordings made by Pierre Boulez.

Particularly pleased to see that this will restore some of Heather Harper's singing (in Berg and Ravel) to the catalogue. Also this recording of the Falla harpsichord concerto got honourable mention on another thread.

Looks like a bargain to me!

Perhaps not quite complete: some Ravel that has been previously issued (Sheherezade overture and the little Fanfare) seems not to be included, so if I want to be a completist I can't get rid of the 3CD box set I already have!

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          Perhaps not quite complete: some Ravel that has been previously issued (Sheherezade overture and the little Fanfare) seems not to be included, so if I want to be a completist I can't get rid of the 3CD box set I already have!

I, too, was attracted to this box despite a fair number of duplications but the lack of texts kills it off as far as I'm concerned. It's no light matter when there is a good portion of vocal/choral recordings here where the texts will not be so easy to come by. A pity.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            I..there is a good portion of vocal/choral recordings here where the texts will not be so easy to come by. A pity.
                            Pet: have you come across this wonderful site http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/ ?

While it concentrates on the solo-song repertoire (in all languages despite the ref to Lieder), you may well get lucky on a choral work too if someone else has set the same text for solo voice.

And of course you may some day really need a translation of Schubert into French or Spanish...
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                              Pet: have you come across this wonderful site http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/ ?

While it concentrates on the solo-song repertoire (in all languages despite the ref to Lieder), you may well get lucky on a choral work too if someone else has set the same text for solo voice.

And of course you may some day really need a translation of Schubert into French or Spanish...
                              Not being much of a lieder buff I wasn't aware of that site. However, if you look at the contents list of the Boulez box you will see the problem. There are vocal/choral/operatic settings from Schoenberg, Webern, Ravel, Boulez himself and others of texts that are not that easily come by on other recordings on my shelves. On the whole, I think I'll keep my original CDs (complete with texts) and forgo the box, sourcing the missing items second hand. For a pound or two more a CD-Rom could have been included. Why spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar?
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                I, too, was attracted to this box despite a fair number of duplications but the lack of texts kills it off as far as I'm concerned. It's no light matter when there is a good portion of vocal/choral recordings here where the texts will not be so easy to come by. A pity.
                                Oh dear: plans to clear the groaning shelves scuppered then. I really could not pass the CDs on but keep the booklets, so I guess in addition to retaining the Ravel box I have to keep the Ravel songs and Schoenberg Gurrelieder box too, at least for a while......

Given the work gone into reproducing the original covers, and the track and recording details in the documentation supplied, to omit the texts in either printed or CD form does seem like an opportunity lost (or simply deliberately not taken because of extra costs?).

Indeed a pity.

Comment

Working...
                                X