• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
    Does anyone on here ever think that maybe they have no need to buy more cds,and stick with what they have ?
    The heart says "yes", but the head says "no". There is so much I can enjoy over and over again for the rest of my life and be quite happy doing so. But I know that there is a practical infinity of Musical experiences out there that will bring new delights beyond those I already have access to. I nearly didn't buy the bargain HM box of Sacred Music - there are some duplicates in the box either of repertoire or actual recordings. But my head pointed out that there were also many works that I didn't have, and did the sums and calculated that I could afford the box, so I ordered it - and WOW! Is my heart glad I did so! Early Christian plainchant from the 5th Century on - my heart sank at the thought of over an hour of plainchant, but, my Bach, this is fantastic Music: intense and beautiful - a complete revelation! Did my heart good, too - the blood is pounding in excitement just remembering these sounds.

With books and recordings, the "need" often becomes clear only after you've bought them.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mathias broucek
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
      Does anyone on here ever think that maybe they have no need to buy more cds,and stick with what they have ?
      I tried recently,then came the complete Weinberg string quartets.
      I had to have the Rozhdestvensky RVW symphonies too.
      The new Bax/Andrew Davis cd has arrived.
      Now I'm going to stick,I think,or maybe not.
      I've had to accept that I'm a collector and that the process of collecting is part of the fun. And that "heart" purchases are therefore OK

Interestingly, I find that if I'm busy and don't do much listening that I tend to buy more - a way of connecting with music without actually hearing any, I guess.

The trouble with buying so many bargains at silly prices is that it distorts the listening process - I recently found myself listening to Wand's Tchaikovsky 6 (I recently acquired the LP-shaped box). It wasn't great and I did wonder why I was listening to it rather than Pletnev, Mravinsky or Celibidache....

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by groovydavidii View Post
        Spotted today Southampton HMV store, a couple of "Westminster Legacy," 40-CD boxes reduced from £69.99 to £19.99!
        Ditto in HMV Edinburgh yesterday afternoon, along with a small number of Recent Universal releases for £2.99 to £4.99 (BG's 'Dances', Harding's Alpensinfonie, Argerich/Abbado Mozart PCs etc). They also had the recent 3 CDs + 1 Blu-ray of Kleiber's DG orchestral recordings for £9.99 - greatly improved sound on the Blu-ray.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Ditto. Grabbed last box at HMV Bond Street last evening, plus several other bargain boxes, etc.

[Other items included DGG Bernstein Edition Vol. 1 (£49.99), Dvorak Symphonies, Tone Poems and Overtures - LSO/Kertesz (£9.99), the DGG Carlos Kleiber CDs and Blu-Ray box (£9.99), 3 CD sets of Mullova, Arrau and Kozena (£4.99 each) and sigle discs of Harding (EAS), Yuja Wang and Benjamin Grosvenor (£2.99 each). OH, and there were at least 3 Bernstein boxes left when I departed the store at around 7pm.]
          Last edited by Bryn; 23-10-14, 09:24. Reason: Details added, etc.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Nagiry-italia have now cancelled the Gould box (out of stock).

Dodax, however, have apparently dispatched the Wand box. That's 1 out of the 6 boxes ordered.
            Last edited by Bryn; 23-10-14, 14:22.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... yes, dodax (am:uk) do seem to be more "trustworthy". They have sent (are sending... ) the Verdi box; whereas zoreno (am:fr) and nagiry (am:it) have reneged on the "offers" of the Bream and Perahia respectively...

one out of three for me.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by groovydavidii View Post
                Early afternoon, counted 3 boxes, get in there, it's your lucky week TS, @ (8-0)!
                Thanks for the spot, GD. Managed to pick one up today.

2 left in Soton HMV. Somebody less public spirited would have bought them and flogged them on market place !!
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Thanks for the spot, GD. Managed to pick one up today.

2 left in Soton HMV. Somebody less public spirited would have bought them and flogged them on market place !!
                  Wouldn't mind one of those, at the price worth it despite a number of duplications - but it's a long way to Soton! Truro branch devoid of most classical stuff let alone any bargains!

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Wouldn't mind one of those, at the price worth it despite a number of duplications - but it's a long way to Soton! Truro branch devoid of most classical stuff let alone any bargains!
                    Cloughie, if you really do want one, I will try to pick up and post to you.

Can't promise obviously, PM me if you want me to try !!

or maybe call them and see if they will post to you? I do know HMV have phone lines for branches.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Parry1912
                      • Nov 2010

Wagner Complete Operas on DG now £41.76 for 43 CDs at Amazon
                      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• johnb
                        • Mar 2007

I ordered the Sony "Living Stereo" box (the first of the two they have issued) from Amazon Italy last Wednesday and it arrived yesterday (Monday) - quite impressive. The cost was £44.30 plus £4.01 p&p.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Rather than start a new thread, thought I would post here.

Can anybody recommend a decent box of Mozart operas at a good price?

Nothing particular in mind, not worried about having everything, but certainly to include the most popular ones.

Any good?

Wha about the performances in the Brilliant classics complete edition?

All thoughts welcome !!
                          Cheers.

Comment

• aeolium
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Rather than start a new thread, thought I would post here.

Can anybody recommend a decent box of Mozart operas at a good price?

Nothing particular in mind, not worried about having everything, but certainly to include the most popular ones.

Any good?

Wha about the performances in the Brilliant classics complete edition?

All thoughts welcome !!
                            Cheers.
                            Yes, that's a fantastic box, ts. Terrific performances of the da Ponte operas and the Magic Flute. The Erich Kleiber Figaro and the Bohm Cosi are perhaps my favourite recordings of those operas, with phenomenal casts, but the other two are also very good. You can't get a better introduction to the major operas than this set, imv.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

That Fricsay Zauberflöte rings bells with me, especially Rita Streich as Queen of the Night. I must have had an LP ages ago but it's not there any more.

PS Mady Mesplé fans may be interested her 4CD 80th birthday box. Not new. I came across it by chance at French Amazon for only 5 Euro - cheaper than elsewhere even after postage. Plenty of exciting soprano work here and a chance to hear some (for me) quite unfamiliar French repertoire as well as well-known party pieces.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

The postage will take that Mady Mesplé box up to a tad under £8 - though as noted, it could be an interesting set to have. As there are perhaps not many copies left perhaps best just to go for that, but probably one can add in other purchases without significantly increasing the delivery costs if one can process the order quickly enough.

Sample on Spotify here - http://open.spotify.com/album/1DONEc98zFnuSDUmBI29cm

Comment

Working...
                                X