Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas (Paul Lewis) harmonia mundi - £24.27.
    Last edited by hafod; 04-10-14, 13:54.

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
      Back OT, not as spectacular in the bargain stakes as many recent suggestions, but still worth investigating: Europadisc have 30% off the whole Hyperion list until next Thursday.
      Thanks for the link. Pleased to see the Faure/Kathryn Stott 4-CD set included - just ordered!
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Rolmill
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
        Thanks for the link. Pleased to see the Faure/Kathryn Stott 4-CD set included - just ordered!
        Yes, I was very tempted by that - only deleted from my basket at the last minute when my budget-conscious head overruled my heart .

I would certainly recommend the London Haydn Quartet's double CD of Papa H's op.33 set at a whisker over £9 - bracing and thought-provoking. Marc-Andre Hamelin's three Haydn piano sonata twofers at the same price are also well worth the money.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
          Marc-Andre Hamelin's three Haydn piano sonata twofers at the same price are also well worth the money.
          Although a Hamelin fan, I cannot warm to his (or John McCabe's) Haydn sonata recordings. Not a patch on Andras Schiff IMV.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• hafod
            • Nov 2010

Pierre Boulez: The Complete Columbia Album Collection (67 discs, ASIN B00JAOK44O), now £81.18 at AmUk.
            Last edited by hafod; 06-10-14, 17:39.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Liszt master and Magician down to around £11

Last edited by teamsaint; 06-10-14, 22:16.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                Beethoven: Complete Quartets. Tokyo Quartet - sacd harmonia mundi. Just reduced on Amuk to £15.12. The ASIN is B00L5J4PYC
                I bought these SACDs (with the exception of the disc with Op. 74 and 95) as they were released. I held back re. that one disc as it seemed overpriced compared to the others. It would still cost me over £10 to get that single disc via the amazon.co.uk marketplace, so I have ordered the box (due tomorrow). I will sell the others as and when.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Franz-Liszt-...liszt+magician
                  Great price for anyone who hasn't got it already.

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Great price for anyone who hasn't got it already.
                    Feeling slightly sick, having paid £19.67 quite recently - but still pleased I got it.

Comment

• Rolmill
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Franz-Liszt-...liszt+magician
                      Duly ordered - thanks for the alert ts!

Comment

• Madame Suggia
                        • Sep 2012

Richard Wagner: Great Recordings
                        Amazon
                        ISIN: B00A2JTEHY

Interesting set for around £16 for 40 discs, it includes the early Janowski Ring.

Very tempted

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Madame Suggia View Post
                          Amazon
                          ISIN: B00A2JTEHY
                          Interesting set for around £16 for 40 discs, it includes the early Janowski Ring.
                          Very tempted
                          Worth it for that Ring Cycle alone, you also get excellent performances of Lohengrin, Die Meistersinger and (especially) Parsifal - these latter three taken from off-air recordings in not the best (nor the worst) sound. No Tannhauser or Tristan - and the worst performance of Dutchman I've ever heard. Some historic recordings from Melchior and Flagstad, some more modern ones (Brunnhilde immolates no fewer than thrice in this collection!) - orchestral excerpts and arrangements from Stokowski, Szell and Maazel, and a disc of two-piano arrangements of or by Wagner.

Everything taken from the SONY/CBS, EURODISC and RCA/BMG back catalogues - which makes the omission of Tristan & Tannhauser all the more remarkable: not a single recording of either from any of these companies between the 1960s and the 1990s?!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Madame Suggia View Post
                            :
                            ... it is indeed, a weird congeries of recordings - as many here and elsewhere have observed. But at this price, EVERYONE shd acquire it - the Janowski Ring, the Karajan Parsifal, the Keilberth Meistersinger, the piano transcriptions - all make it well worth having. And - I say again - at that price!

Comment

• Conchis
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Worth it for that Ring Cycle alone, you also get excellent performances of Lohengrin, Die Meistersinger and (especially) Parsifal - these latter three taken from off-air recordings in not the best (nor the worst) sound. No Tannhauser or Tristan - and the worst performance of Dutchman I've ever heard. Some historic recordings from Melchior and Flagstad, some more modern ones (Brunnhilde immolates no fewer than thrice in this collection!) - orchestral excerpts and arrangements from Stokowski, Szell and Maazel, and a disc of two-piano arrangements of or by Wagner.

Everything taken from the SONY/CBS, EURODISC and RCA/BMG back catalogues - which makes the omission of Tristan & Tannhauser all the more remarkable: not a single recording of either from any of these companies between the 1960s and the 1990s?!
                              Bought this last month for just over thirteen quid, even though I already had the Janowski Ring. It's a treasure trove:the Leinsdorf Lohengrin sounds gorgeous and the Holander ain't all that bad, really.

CBS/RCA notoriously have very little Wagner (or opera) in their vaults:this is just about all ther is.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                                ... the Leinsdorf Lohengrin sounds gorgeous
                                An electrifying performance

and the Holander ain't all that bad, really.
                                Well ... the orchestra plays in tune, the singers aren't bad, the recorded sound is excellent; but "flying" it ain't! (The Dutchman Stuck in the Doldrums, more like!)
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X