Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

The well-regarded cycle of Shostakovich String Quartets recorded by the Pacifica Quartet, plus quartets by contemporaries such as Miaskovsky, Prokofiev, Schnittke and Weinberg has been re-released as a single package (all four double CDs in a cardboard sleeve so you get all the original booklets) which is available for not much over £20 from Amazon Marketplace or, for those averse to Amazon, just over £25 from MDT. See

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

The SEON box arrived today. No packing note but the return address is shown as Dunfermline. I received the dispatch email yesterday. 1 day delivery from amazon.fr? I think not. Looks like it came from amazon.co.uk, but at the amazon.fr price, not that I'm complaining.

Comment

• hafod
        • Nov 2010

Beethoven: Complete Quartets. Tokyo Quartet - sacd harmonia mundi. Just reduced on Amuk to £15.12. The ASIN is B00L5J4PYC

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hafod View Post
          Beethoven: Complete Quartets. Tokyo Quartet - sacd harmonia mundi. Just reduced on Amuk to £15.12. The ASIN is B00L5J4PYC
          Top class recommendation hafod, many thanks

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

not the bargain of all time, but market place price for the John Ireland /Alan Rowlands triple set has been dropping slowly.
            Probably the time to buy, I would suggest .

about £13 inc p and p, around half of the tax dodgers full price.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• PJPJ
              • Nov 2010

No doubt the price will drop but £72 for 40 CDs of Pierre Monteux's recordings for RCA seems good value.

Some discs will have short playing time by today's standards though, as the contents seem to duplicate the contents of the original LP. For example, CD 15 appears to contain Le Sacre on its own. Some of the stereo recordings may well be in the two Living Stereo collections which some may have already bought. So, a possible bargain for some but not all.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                not the bargain of all time, but market place price for the John Ireland /Alan Rowlands triple set has been dropping slowly.
                P
                TS - very tempted but am wondering about the recording quality?? Described as "front room mono" which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I just wondered what you thought, before I go ahead at such a keen price

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Rats! I pre-ordered this set from Amazon France at what I thought was a great price (about £24) - I should have waited. The excellent SACD recordings make it a good buy. Without wanting to seem to be damning the performances with faint praise, they are never less than reliable and at times (Op 132 for instance) rather more than that.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                    TS - very tempted but am wondering about the recording quality?? Described as "front room mono" which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I just wondered what you thought, before I go ahead at such a keen price
                    Oh I don'tknow it, HD, sorry, just been following the price, as I really want to order up some Ireland Piano music.

Perhaps this is one of the performances?

Alan Rowlands - pianoMOV II - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJZ_BDA1Zjk There is no copyright infringement intended. If you wish your recording to be remov...
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• PJPJ
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      That's an accurate description - you may get used to it, but it's not flattering.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                        That's an accurate description - you may get used to it, but it's not flattering.
                        Any wise thoughts where else to go for Ireland Piano music, PJ?

The Parkin set also available at around £12.
                        Last edited by teamsaint; 02-10-14, 19:29.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Interesting one this as there is also a Sony set at a similar price, but not, I think, SACD. Is this one surround sound, or two channel SACD? Looks good, anyway.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            Is this one surround sound, or two channel SACD?
                            The Harmonia Mundi set is multichannel SACD. The Sony BMG box is of their early 1990s cycle (when its leader was Peter Oundjian, now at the RSNO as well as still being Principal Conductor of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra).

Comment

• Parry1912
                              • Nov 2010

Karajan Symphony Edition for £27.60 at Amazon
                              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                                Karajan Symphony Edition for £27.60 at Amazon
                                Fantastic!! What a bargain.

Comment

Working...
                                X