X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I am not quite sure how today's keyboard players schedule Scarlatti's sonatas for public performance - if indeed they ever do. Only a few players seems to play them. I think some choose 3 or 4 in a sequence, perhaps with a key relation, and maybe starting with a fairly strong, moderate speed opening sonata, then having a slower one to form a kind of "slow movement" (in a more conventional 18th/19th Century sense of sonata) then choose one or two other sonatas, perhaps a bit quicker to function as "scherzo" and "finale". Otherwise simply listening to a whole bundle of Scarlatti sonatas seems to be a slightly odd experience - though not necessarily unpleasant.
    I was just doing some file housekeeping and noticed Ben Grosvenor opened his WH concert in 2011 with a couple Kk 96 and Kk 434. They do crop up especially as openers.

Comment

• Stunsworth
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
      Qobuz has the Decca baroque box (50 CDs split between two 25 CD sets) for 2 x £11 or so

Listen to unlimited or download Baroque Era Vol.1 by Various Artists in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Listen to Various Artists in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

Search for "Baroque Era"
      Thanks for that, I'd been looking for that box - I'd assumed it would be a L'Oiseau Lyre release rather than a Decca one.
      Steve

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        I am not quite sure how today's keyboard players schedule Scarlatti's sonatas for public performance - if indeed they ever do. Only a few players seems to play them. I think some choose 3 or 4 in a sequence, perhaps with a key relation, and maybe starting with a fairly strong, moderate speed opening sonata, then having a slower one to form a kind of "slow movement" (in a more conventional 18th/19th Century sense of sonata) then choose one or two other sonatas, perhaps a bit quicker to function as "scherzo" and "finale". Otherwise simply listening to a whole bundle of Scarlatti sonatas seems to be a slightly odd experience - though not necessarily unpleasant.
        Do they not still usually perform them in their Kirkpatrick pairs?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          I thought, I sought, I bought (very little thought involved)
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
            Do they not still usually perform them in their Kirkpatrick pairs?
            Not necessarily - see this programme for example - http://ocms-music.org.uk/concerts-20...-grynyuk-piano

Comment

• hafod
              • Nov 2010

I was astonished to discover that the Pricenoia site for comparing prices across all Amazon stores is shutting down - killed by Amazon. Pricenoia has put out a statement.
              Pricenoia new blog for the new version of the site! :D Follow us on Twitter...

Amazon really knows how to irritate its customers - in my case to the point of using it much less. Every cloud has a silver lining though, as I can now make serious inroads into unplayed purchases without simultaneously adding to the pile. Well, not very much.

Comment

• AmpH
                • Feb 2012

I use the Firefox add-on ' Pricenoia - Compare Amazon Prices 0.83 ' which automatically loads a graphical price comparison when you bring up a specific item ( where comparative prices on other Amazon sites are available ) on the Am UK site. This still seems to be working ok, but in view of the above will presumably be canned in due course, which would be a pity as it is very usefull.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

That pair of sonatas Lipatti recorded I can never hear played by anyone else without thinking he is beyond compare.

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

Volume 2 of Sony's Bernstein Edition - Concertos and Orchestral works (ASIN: B00LL4U1TE), has just dropped in price to £60.81 for 80 discs on AmUK. Release date is October 27. Full contents here:

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                      Volume 2 of Sony's Bernstein Edition - Concertos and Orchestral works (ASIN: B00LL4U1TE), has just dropped in price to £60.81 for 80 discs on AmUK. Release date is October 27. Full contents here:
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Bernste...sin=B00LL4U1TE
                      There seems to be some confusion on the amazon.co.uk site. There it is claimed there are but 60 CDs:

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        It looks as if this is from the complete Ring Cycle - one of the very best on record, but you can get the whole cycle for about thirty quid:
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Nibelun...gner+ring+bohm
                        Just listened to Act 1 of Walkuere. Boehm and orchestra brilliant -and the remastering couldn't be better. Reading up on Leonie Rysanek as Sieglinde in wiki: . . . the role in which she was most revered. . . was Sieglinde in Die Walküre. Hmmm.
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• verismissimo
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          I thought, I sought, I bought.

It looks as if this is from the complete Ring Cycle - one of the very best on record, but you can get the whole cycle for about thirty quid:

... and, for a real bargain, it's also included in this set of all the major Wagner operas:

... one of those boxes that works out at just over £1 per disc. Makes the tenner for four CDs seem extortionate!
                          As ferney indicates, for about £35 you get ten operas across 33 CDs, all from Bayreuth, and including the Bohm Ring.

That's about a fiver for the extra six operas!

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                            As ferney indicates, for about £35 you get ten operas across 33 CDs, all from Bayreuth, and including the Bohm Ring.

That's about a fiver for the extra six operas!
                            When I think of all the money I spent on the original CD issues of the Böhm Ring in 1986.....:
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                              Just listened to Act 1 of Walkuere. Boehm and orchestra brilliant -and the remastering couldn't be better.
                              Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 09-09-14, 09:25.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                When I think of all the money I spent on the original CD issues of the Böhm Ring in 1986.....:
                                Yerrrs; but you have had nearly thirty years joy from them whilst the rest of us waited for the price to come down

Comment

Working...
                                X