X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MLF View Post
    In fairness this is a very fine consolation prize! None of the operatic excesses of the Rilling and JEG versions. Ruth Holton is to my mind the perfect soprano for Bach's Sacred Cantatas.
    I was thinking more about the absolute price reduction. Factor in the relative merits of each set of performances and personal preferences, then it is a very fine consolation prize - if the price is honoured!

Comment

• AmpH
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by hafod View Post
      I was thinking more about the absolute price reduction. Factor in the relative merits of each set of performances and personal preferences, then it is a very fine consolation prize - if the price is honoured!
      No problems here. My boxset arrived 2 days ago.

Comment

• MLF

Hafod - If you ever find yourself attending a concert in Edinburgh do send me a pm - like many here I owe you a drink or ten for some of your stellar finds!

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
          The French certainly used to have, quite likely still have, national competition laws against selling goods at below cost. It looks like it's these laws (not EU ones NB) that they're worried about breaching. The point of them was I think to prevent big shops sending little ones out of business by predatory sub-cost pricing, simply because the big boys could stand the losses far longer than the little ones if they attempted to compete.
          Ah - like cheap milk in the UK, which gets us into supermarkets, but really squeezes producers so that they go out of business.
          Last edited by Dave2002; 22-07-14, 09:22.

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Ah - like cheap milk in the UK, which gets us into supermarkets, but reallys squeezes producers so that they go out of business.
            I thought milkmaids squeezed producers.

Comment

• mathias broucek
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                We do need the return of the emoticon

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  Because they are French. And the French don't normally have difficulty in ignoring EU regulations.
                  You've been reading the Daily Mail to excess!

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MLF View Post
                    Hafod - If you ever find yourself attending a concert in Edinburgh do send me a pm - like many here I owe you a drink or ten for some of your stellar finds!
                    A kind thought; thank you - I will bear it in mind.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Not, alas, a bargain which would register on the Hafodometer - but a welcome return for a very fine set - is

which had passed me by. I have succumbed to the other recent Karajan reissue

because it contains a Blu-Ray Audio version of all of the symphonies on a single disc, as well as the CDs in remastered form. There has been a similar reissue of the Ashkenazy/Previn Rachmaninov Piano Concertos, i.e. CDs + Blu-Ray.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                        • Nov 2010

MP3 of complete Beethoven Sonatas with Jando just £4.49 from Amazon

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

I've just listened to this which arrived today (£0,01!) and although I don't normally buy 'hotch potch' CDs, this one looked worth a punt. And it was. It is a delightful CD, and the Siegfried Idyll is beautifully played, and has a lovely 'feel-good' factor about it. Now - I know this isn't the Marriner recording that was highlighted on BaL but it is well worth it's bargain price

I am finding that the more I listen to Marriner's recordings, the more I appreciate them, and find much in them; subtlety, a depth of real feeling for the music, and always something held in reserve when the music requires it. I simply love his Mozart symphonies.

Comment

• amateur51

Byron Janis: The Complete RCA Collection from Amazon UK Prime at £10.16 inc p&p for 12 CDs and a DVD

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Byron Janis: The Complete RCA Collection from Amazon UK Prime at £10.16 inc p&p for 12 CDs and a DVD
                              ams -well spotted -thanks!

Comment

• hafod
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Actually, first posted on 12 July at #4640. Admittedly, it has gone down in price by 6p since then.

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                                Byron Janis: The Complete RCA Collection - 12 discs. £10.22

Am.Uk ASIN: B00AK3X3DI

Comment

Working...
                                X