Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

It is a great shame about the lack of notes from the Mozart and Haydn boxes, they were all part of the pleasure of the original issues for me...but still, as Dougie so rightly says, don't hesitate at these prices. The recordings are some of the very best from the L'Oiseau Lyre catalogue, with that unmistakeably fabulous Decca sound.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

When I borrowed the Hogwood Mozart set from the local library a decade or so ago, I was sufficiently impressed with the booklet notes that accompanied that release to photocopy them. I received an email from amazon.it yesterday advising that though delayed, the set I ordered onm the 18th inst. is now being prepared for dispatch, and that the delay in the dispatch should not cause delivery to extend beyond that estimated. Bated breath.

Comment

• amateur51

Amazon.it is selling the Decca 33 CD Richter box for about £46, a bargain if you have not already got a good chunk of it

Then there is a bargain of bargains, a 15 CD set of recordings by the wonderful French pianist Yves Nat including his complete cycle of Beethoven piano sonatas (7 CDs) which is one of my favourites.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Documents/600113 .. down to £10.87 inc delivery on amazon uk Prime

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Amazon.it is selling the Decca 33 CD Richter box for about £46, a bargain if you have not already got a good chunk of it

Then there is a bargain of bargains, a 15 CD set of recordings by the wonderful French pianist Yves Nat including his complete cycle of Beethoven piano sonatas (7 CDs) which is one of my favourites.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Documents/600113 .. down to £10.87 inc delivery on amazon uk Prime
          Tempting at first sight, but it's a Membran product. Their transfers tend to be highly variable in quality. It might well be worth paying the extra for the EMI/Warner set, amazon.co.uk ASIN: B000BS6Y74.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Finally got round to it - anyone who's been following the new releases thread will understand - Hogwood's Mozart and Haydn Symphony boxes from amazon.it for under £60 including postage.

I gave up when it was also suggested that I buy a box of Vivaldi. Perhaps I shouldn't have, as that last box by itself costs nearly £100 at amazon.uk. I wonder if I can add it in to my order from italy?

Dangerous this thread .... Deleted my order, and put in a new one with all 3 - total cost under £90.
            Many thanks for the steer Dave2002: I should shortly be able to say that I've got all the Haydn symph's without recourse to one big complete set. Well, the 'proper' run from 1 to 104 anyway. Via many single LPs and CDs, a couple of the Fischer CD 'small' CD sets and two boxes from the Dorati LP run I'd managed to get to 90/104. What are 107 and 108 in this box? - I'm guessing 107 is the sinfonia concertante as it's in 3 mov'ts. And what am I missing without 105 and 106??[EDIT: don't rush to answer now folks, Wiki has told me all I need to know!]

Had fun with the Italian website: at one point I was trying to work out why I was paying over £75, then realised I'd somehow got two boxes in the basket <doh-icon>
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• reinerfan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Tempting at first sight, but it's a Membran product. Their transfers tend to be highly variable in quality. It might well be worth paying the extra for the EMI/Warner set, amazon.co.uk ASIN: B000BS6Y74.
              Fortunately, in this case, the transfers sound very good on my equipment.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by reinerfan View Post
                If it sounds good in Spain, that's good enough for me reinerfan many thanks! - I have the EMI box but am thinking of this set as a delightful AND affordable present

Nat is a significant Schumann player too

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

jpc has sound samples of the Membran Nat.

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    jpc has sound samples of the Membran Nat.
                    And extremely generous sound samples at that!
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

When were those Yves Nat recordings made? Based on the samples from the jpc site it seems that some of the transfers are better than others, but some have hiss/crackles and distortion, which if the recordings were made a long while ago could be inherent - for example if the recordings were made to 78s. Schumann's piano concerto shows typical signs, and some of the Beethoven sonatas have some significant pop and crackles. Presumably most (all) are mono.

There might also be slight touches of wow - though probably not enough to worry about. From the dates of the pianist it seems likely that many of his recordings would now be considered historic, and it would be wrong to expect current standards of audio quality in the transfers.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Thanks. I did hope that someone had taken the plunge and would comment.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          When were those Yves Nat recordings made? .
                          ... the Beethoven 1954/55 - but others from much earlier - Stravinsky 1929, Schumann cto 1933, other Schumann variously 1937/38 to 1950s, Franck 1942.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            Many thanks for the steer Dave2002: I should shortly be able to say that I've got all the Haydn symph's without recourse to one big complete set.
                            Wow, 'shortly' I said, but didn't realise just how shortly! Ordered on Italian Amazon website Monday night, acknowledged Tuesday, delivered to darkest Cornwall today, Thursday. Now that really is impressive: I've waited far longer for Amazon UK stuff
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Wow, 'shortly' I said, but didn't realise just how shortly! Ordered on Italian Amazon website Monday night, acknowledged Tuesday, delivered to darkest Cornwall today, Thursday. Now that really is impressive: I've waited far longer for Amazon UK stuff
                              Ah - now you're making me wonder if the parcel which we've been notified about is actually for me - rather than AN Other - who has apparently also got stuff in the pipeline. Looks like I'll have to take a detour via the sorting office tomorrow.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

What do you mean, Lanson's nearly in England!

Comment

Working...
                                X