Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    , an petty-minded edict from on high has decreed that it had to stop.
    Most likely issued by some whipper-snapper heavily into downloads

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Most likely issued by some whipper-snapper heavily into downloads
      Hmm, not averse to some pretty heavy duty downloading myself, when the price is right. However, 'Big box' downloads can be just too much fuss if one wants to burn to optical disc for playback in CD/DVD players, and to get gapless results such burning exercises are often necessary, I find.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Hogwood Haydn and Mozart: Amazon.it

Finally got round to it - anyone who's been following the new releases thread will understand - Hogwood's Mozart and Haydn Symphony boxes from amazon.it for under £60 including postage.

I gave up when it was also suggested that I buy a box of Vivaldi. Perhaps I shouldn't have, as that last box by itself costs nearly £100 at amazon.uk. I wonder if I can add it in to my order from italy?

Dangerous this thread .... Deleted my order, and put in a new one with all 3 - total cost under £90.
        Last edited by Dave2002; 23-06-14, 19:47.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Finally got round to it - anyone who's been following the new releases thread will understand - Hogwood's Mozart and Haydn Symphony boxes from amazon.it for under £60 including postage.

I gave up when it was also suggested that I buy a box of Vivaldi. Perhaps I shouldn't have, as that last box by itself costs nearly £100 at amazon.uk. I wonder if I can add it in to my order from italy?

Dangerous this thread .... Deleted my order, and put in a new one with all 3 - total cost under £90.
          Very dangerous!

But money well spent, I'd say. The Vivaldi box set has gone up to £98 on Amazon UK, but I'm sure it was £18 a while back.

I have bought a few cheap Hogwood Haydn symphony single CDs, so the box-set now includes duplications for for me, but the Mozart is very, very tempting.

Having recently bought Pinnock's Mozart, I think I need to desist.

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Having recently bought Pinnock's Mozart, I think I need to desist.
            That's what I KEEP telling myself too....

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
              Groan ....

It's actually "cheaper" via the marketplace sellers at amazon UK but only if the items dispatched from outside the UK are allowed in without extra charges. Some are priced very close to the margin if the import people are on the ball.

What's Pinnock's Mozart like, anyway? Probably rather good I guess.

While we're at it, how come Hogwood's set fills 19 CDs, while Pinnock's only takes 11?

PS: I only started this particular quest by looking for/hearing some samples of Immerseel's set - which I've still not ordered!

If the prices are comparable at am.uk and other ams, then the UK store might have the AutoRip feature - which could tip the balance back. I don't think AutoRip works for most of the continental ams for UK customers.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

While we're at it, how come Hogwood's set fills 19 CDs, while Pinnock's only takes 11?
                IIRC, Pinnock records only the "official" (ie "numbered") Symphonies, whilst Hogwood includes those stand-alone concert movements and overtures which Köchel didn't allow into the canon - except he did allow "No 32", which is an Italian Overture/Sinfonia. And No 37, which isn't by Mozart. If those other "Overture" type sinfonias are regarded as "Symphonies" (and there's no reason why they shouldn't be, as "#32" amply demonstrates) then we get over 50 works in the Complete Symphonies.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                  I bought my Pinnock from a Canadian seller, but it was dispatched from Europe, so I did not get walloped for the duty etc charge.

Where'd you get yours?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    If those other "Overture" type sinfonias are regarded as "Symphonies" (and there's no reason why they shouldn't be, as "#32" amply demonstrates) then we get over 50 works in the Complete Symphonies.
                    I did R sort-of C: but there's a total of 68 works with Hogwood's set. (Yeah - I know that's "over 50", but it's a lot over ...
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      IIRC, Pinnock records only the "official" (ie "numbered") Symphonies, whilst Hogwood includes those stand-alone concert movements and overtures which Köchel didn't allow into the canon - except he did allow "No 32", which is an Italian Overture/Sinfonia. And No 37, which isn't by Mozart. If those other "Overture" type sinfonias are regarded as "Symphonies" (and there's no reason why they shouldn't be, as "#32" amply demonstrates) then we get over 50 works in the Complete Symphonies.
                      It's slightly more complicated.
                      Hogwood's recording sessions were accompanied by an extensive research by Zaslaw et al re Mozart's symphonies: attribution, versions, the size of the orchestras, ways of performing.
                      Neil Zaslaw's book on Mozart symphonies is a spin-off of this whole project.

A couple of the symphonies are opera overtures (~sinfonias) indeed, but then there is always an added movement (as finale).

Among the Hogwood we also find those serenades which are known to be played as Symphony, i.e. from the original 6 or 7 movements the 2 or 3 concertante movements were extracted, the remaining 3 or 4 movements creating a symphony (a Haffner KV250 and a Posthorn KV320 the most notable ones, but also Galimathas Musicum KV32 e.g.).

Hogwood records also the variants: the g-minor KV550 with and without clarinets, the Paris KV297 with an alternative slow mvt e.g.

Symphonies which are certainly not by Mozart (including nr.2 KV 17 and no.3 KV 18, both in Mozart's handwriting!) are not included, with the notable exception of no.37 in G KV444, of which the introduction to the 1st mvt is Mozart's, the rest Michael Haydn's.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        I bought my Pinnock from a Canadian seller, but it was dispatched from Europe, so I did not get walloped for the duty etc charge.
                        I've not tested this, but it seems that perhaps quite a number of sellers are doing this. Are they importing their goods into Europe - perhaps to some sort of holding company/warehouse, and then claiming that as their operating location, hence avoiding any (additional) import charges? I can't say I understand it all, but how else can some amazon marketplace sellers be so sure of the postal/delivery charges?

If my guess is correct, then there might still be some charge for bulk imports into the EU, but perhaps that works out relatively small for large consignments of diverse products.
                        Last edited by Dave2002; 23-06-14, 22:52. Reason: spelling - oops

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

I've not tested this, but it seems that perhaps quite a number of sellers are doing this. Are they importing their goods into Europe - perhaps to some sort of holding company/warehouse, and then claiming that as there operating location, hence avoiding any (additional) import charges? I can't say I understand it all, but how else can some amazon marketplace sellers be so sure of the postal/delivery charges?

If my guess is correct, then there might still be some charge for bulk imports into the EU, but perhaps that works out relatively small for large consignments of diverse products.
                          I momentarily forgot that Canada isn't in Europe and ordered by accident. It seems that a number of transatlantic vendors source/send from Europe. I try to keep below the £15 limit, anyway.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

I have never heard the Pinnock series..many say that it is more polished than Hogwood's, the players having had the benefit of a few more years' experience in period instrument practice. But for me, the Hogwood set really conjures up the thrill and the excitement that I remember so well when hearing these works for the first time on period instruments.. sometimes warts and all is very exciting, in the same way as I feel about the pioneering Harnoncourt/Leonhardt Bach cantata set.

And of course, with Hogwood, you do get all the extras, which in my opinion are well worth having. I wonder if Decca have put in all the extensive notes from Zaslaw that came with the original boxes? I rather doubt it, which would be a shame. Even so, what a fantastic bargain the Mozart/Haydn/Vivaldi sets are now...lucky the listeners that are picking them up for the first time at these prices.
                            Last edited by MickyD; 24-06-14, 07:39.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Bruckner symphonies

Even sets of Bruckner symphonies are getting cheap now.

Gunter Wand's set is available for around £13 from Canada - should get through any import checks easily - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sym...words=bruckner

Václav Neumann, Kurt Sanderling, Franz Konwitschny and Heinz Rögner feature in a set with the Gewandhaus orchestra - available for not much more than £15 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new I don't know what it is like.

Tintner's set is more expensive, but can be obtained for under £22 from Germany - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

I really wanted to find out how to buy Pinnock's chamber version of symphony 2 - available here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sym...uckner+pinnock which is how I came upon the box sets.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                                I wonder if Decca have put in all the extensive notes from Zaslaw that came with the original boxes? I rather doubt it, which would be a shame.
                                In the immortal words of Vicky Pollard, "Yeah but no but". Some of Neil Zaslaw's notes are included but they are in Italian which, given that these boxes stem from Universal Italy, is perhaps not a complete surprise. English translations of essays in Italian are included in the Ansermet boxes and in the Hogwood Haydn but they are about the conductor rather than about the music.

If anyone is swithering about buying the Mozart (or the Haydn), I wouldn't hesitate at these prices. Hours and hours of pleasure to be had for about the same price as one or two concert tickets.

Comment

Working...
                                X