X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
    Why not do what I do, and that is mark the seller down on the Customer Rating. Often you find that a negative review will get them offering either a full or partial refund in return for a 4 star/5 star rating. I've lost track of the extra CDs I've been able to buy as a result of this tactic.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I would do that if I felt very badly done by, or on a more highly priced issue, but for a low priced CD, unless I saw consistently poor goods from one seller I'd be reluctant to do that. I normally buy new items, with exceptions being either rare or hard to get items, or where there is a very significant advantage in the second hand pricing, or if the music is of only limited interest to me - which happens sometimes - for example if I'm just checking out music for a talk or discussion with others.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Fhg:

Bryn beat me to it re Ruggles.
      You might be interested in some recent comments about him and these CDs on the American Music thread when I wrote that I had just bought the set.

A search for Ruggles over ar r3ok.com might also reveal a little more info. I was quite surprised when Other Minds announced the CD issue. Some of the edits for the original LP issue were a bit clumsy, to the extent that I thought they might be the rationale for the lack of a CD issue. It would seem that whoever did the transfer for Other Minds must also have tidied up those edits (tape snatches, etc.).

[By the way, it's well worth checking out other Other Minds releases, such as the CD re-issue of the original Arch recordings of the then complete Studies for Player Piano by Conlon Nancarrow. No longer the bargain it was at the time of its release (I paid £17.24 including p&p, back in July 2008), but still worth getting via the amazon.co.uk marketplace if you are willing to chance the import duty, etc. Then there's the complete Anteil string quartets, which double album creeps in easily under the £15 duty threshold.]
      Last edited by Bryn; 13-06-14, 15:25.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by kea View Post
        I quite like Demus's Schumann, but it's interpretively somewhat idiosyncratic, and possibly not for everyone. Sound isn't great either, but it is £12, which is a fair bit cheaper than Eric Le Sage's box (the best alternative for "complete" Schumann) and it includes the pedal piano works as well (which Le Sage doesn't). I'd buy it but I'm a Schumann fanatic so take that with as much salt as you'd like.
        Le Sage's box is one of my current favourites for dipping into

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

The Heifetz Piatigorsky Concerts - Am.Uk marketplace new for under £16 delivered

Comment

• Mark Meldon

Sony Bargains

Originally posted by hafod View Post
            The Heifetz Piatigorsky Concerts - Am.Uk marketplace new for under £16 delivered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...763506&sr=1-78
            I have the Heifetz/Piatigorsky set - cost me almost twice as much but most recordings enjoyable. Just bought the 12-CD "British Music Collection" from Zoverstocks for just over £10. Barenboim's early Elgar piqued my interest despite "controversial" recordings. Lots of good stuff.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mark Meldon View Post
              I have the Heifetz/Piatigorsky set - cost me almost twice as much but most recordings enjoyable. Just bought the 12-CD "British Music Collection" from Zoverstocks for just over £10. Barenboim's early Elgar piqued my interest despite "controversial" recordings. Lots of good stuff.
              The Heifetz, Piatigorsky Concerts set I ordered arrived today and went straight in the recycling bin.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                The Heifetz, Piatigorsky Concerts set I ordered arrived today and went straight in the recycling bin.
                This is a little alarming.... elucidate, ye.....

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                  This is a little alarming.... elucidate, ye.....
                  I was out, participating in a programme promoting a forthcoming performance or a selection of improvisation rites from the 'Scratch Orchestra's Nature Study Notes'. The Royal Mail delivery person left a card advising where the parcel had been deposited.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

I was out, participating in a programme promoting a forthcoming performance or a selection of improvisation rites from the 'Scratch Orchestra's Nature Study Notes'. The Royal Mail delivery person left a card advising where the parcel had been deposited.
                    I was worried there...! Similar to 'I bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue label and poured it down the sink...'

Comment

• Radio64
                      • Jan 2014

Blimey! Had me going for a minute there...bit of a waste, I thought.
                      "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                        Blimey! Had me going for a minute there...bit of a waste, I thought.
                        Well the first of the stereo discs from the set has indeed now gone in a recycling device, but not the bin. LvB's Op. 8 Serenade now spinning, to be immediately followed by the Kodaly Op. 7 Duo.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

I thought there must have been a plausible explanation. with a happy ending, I hope

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                            I thought there must have been a plausible explanation. with a happy ending, I hope
                            Oh yes, Errol, the regular postman, knows I am only too happy for him to leave packages in whichever bin will be emptied later. He keeps himself informed of the waste collection schedule and any variations to it. Of course, if a neighbour is in at the time of delivery, he leaves packages with them. Those of us living on his round are lucky to have him.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Oh yes, Errol, the regular postman, knows I am only too happy for him to leave packages in whichever bin will be emptied later. He keeps himself informed of the waste collection schedule and any variations to it. Of course, if a neighbour is in at the time of delivery, he leaves packages with them. Those of us living on his round are lucky to have him.
                              Just hope it doesn't go wrong when you buy a really valuable set!

The delivery people round here quite frequently just dump stuff outside the door. Sometimes they leave a card, which reads "Left in secure front porch."
                              Secure ....

Some of them dump stuff, ring the bell and then run off - which is perhaps fine if we're in, but presumably they do the same if we're not.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Just hope it doesn't go wrong when you buy a really valuable set! ...
                                Oh, if and when I do that, I make alternative arrangements, such as paying the small fee for delivery to be made to a convenient shop in the amazon.co.uk scheme. I used to be able to have such items delivered to my work address, but though those directly concerned were, and continue to be, happy with that arrangement, a petty-minded edict from on high has decreed that it had to stop.
                                Last edited by Bryn; 21-06-14, 09:16. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                                X