Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

The Delius Box - 150th Anniversary is currently £23.06 at you know where in the rainforest.

Track details are here - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/0841752

I ordered this as I wanted some carpet cleaner, and the Add On item scheme is an incentive to buy more!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Re. the Sony Vivarte box:
      Oh, now, stop it! It's not fair!!! (I have a few more duplications here than with the Age of Enllightenment box - most irritatingly, the Weil Haydn Symphonies which I only bought three months ago - but I have been in need of a Beethoven 'cello Sonata set. Any idea of price for this? [If it's another under £20 job, I'll just have to order it!])

Edit: ah, £40-ish. Terrific bargain, but beyond my monthly budget - it'll have to wait until next month.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Re. the Sony Vivarte box:
        ... is another in my current desert-island collection in this cramped flat. Together with the Music of the Enlightenment box, the dhm and harmonia-mundi anniversary boxes, plus boxes of Scarlatti sonatas, Haydn quartets, Chopin, and Wagner...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... is another in my current desert-island collection in this cramped flat. Together with the Music of the Enlightenment box, the dhm and harmonia-mundi anniversary boxes, plus boxes of Scarlatti sonatas, Haydn quartets, Chopin, and Wagner...
          Swap "Haydn piano trios" for "Scarlatti sonatas" and "Schumann piano works" for "Wagner" and you've written my purchases for the last two months!

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

I've just had to make room for the Brilliant Haydn Baryton Trios box...the shelves are groaning even more, but the music is so utterly delightful that I don't care!

Comment

• hafod
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              I've just had to make room for the Brilliant Haydn Baryton Trios box...the shelves are groaning even more, but the music is so utterly delightful that I don't care!
              That is a great box and just €20 at jpc! I have been treating (rationing?) myself to one disc an evening.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

£0.01 plus postage from Zoverstocks - a Royal Classics release of Mozart Piano Concertos K453 and K491 with Andre Previn with the LSO conducted by Boult . Utterly charming accounts and Previn a Mozart player of the first rank judging by these performances .

Comment

• verismissimo
                  • Nov 2010

If wonder if this set of Schumann piano music by Joerg Demus is worth investing in? 13 CDs for around 12 quid. I'm tempted.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                    If wonder if this set of Schumann piano music by Joerg Demus is worth investing in? 13 CDs for around 12 quid. I'm tempted.
                    This one, maybe - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schumann-Com...schumann+demus

Not sure.

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Yes. I meant to provide the link. Thanks D.

Comment

• kea
                        • Dec 2013

I quite like Demus's Schumann, but it's interpretively somewhat idiosyncratic, and possibly not for everyone. Sound isn't great either, but it is £12, which is a fair bit cheaper than Eric Le Sage's box (the best alternative for "complete" Schumann) and it includes the pedal piano works as well (which Le Sage doesn't). I'd buy it but I'm a Schumann fanatic so take that with as much salt as you'd like.

Comment

• Roehre

Go for it.
                          The performances are generally excellent, and show Schumann's genius from different angles.
                          Some of the recordings show their age and some have got some background noise, but in my own experience not disturbing at all.

There is no documentation whatsoever, except for the (accurate) track listings at the back of the cardboard sleeves.
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-06-14, 11:22.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Mine arrived last Thursday - I've reached disc five and am greatly enjoying it. I've sort-of made a mid-year resolution only to buy discs of works I don't already have in my collection (a resolution to be tested by Sibelius Symphonies and Rameau Pieces de clevicin en concerts ) and was horrified to realize that piano Music by Schumann, Brahms and Chopin is in very short supply. This box has plugged one gap very attractively without upsetting my Bank Manager - and, IIRC, Bryn is another admirer (even if he prefers Demus' other recordings using pianos from the mid-19th Century).

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Yes. I meant to provide the link. Thanks D.
                              I bought that set on recommendation from Roehere and others.

How would one spend £12 better in this crazy world?

Or £10 as it has been at times...
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• kea
                                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                (even if he prefers Demus' other recordings using pianos from the mid-19th Century).
                                I would quite like to hear some of those myself. Naxos Music Library appears to have a few of them at least.

edit:
                                I am now hearing this and it is very fine indeed:

Comment

Working...
                                X