Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
    Unless you're a marketplace seller!
    ?

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

I recently signed up as a marketplace seller and I was asked for my passport details.
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
        I recently signed up as a marketplace seller and I was asked for my passport details.
        That's fair enough. It's all part of anti money laundering regulations.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Might as well, they know friggin' everything else about me
          I would imagine that GCHQ have a little room just for stuff on you too.
          I suspect they spend a good deal of their time looking for all those " Paul is dead" type messages on albums that they KNOW you own by Laibach/Merzbow etc.

Prolly a subsection of operation doublegongs.

This is off topic. And illogical.
          Sorry.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            I would imagine that GCHQ have a little room just for stuff on you too.
            I suspect they spend a good deal of their time looking for all those " Paul is dead" type messages on albums that they KNOW you own by Laibach/Merzbow etc.

Prolly a subsection of operation doublegongs.

This is off topic. And illogical.
            Sorry.
            I think you need to get out a bit more.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

I think you need to get out a bit more.
              I tried it today. Waste of time.
              Looked for CD bargains in Portsmouth Charity shops between business appointments. (vaguely on topic bit.....)
              Zilch.

And, FYI, I am a blackbelt in something or other....

Those Mahler boys had it right all along.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                FYI, I am a blackbelt in something or other....
                Ludo?

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Ludo?
                  No it's just to keep his trousers up!

Comment

• mathias broucek
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    That's fair enough. It's all part of anti money laundering regulations.
                    Years ago when I worked in pensions, the regulator pulled us up for not having done proper anti-money laundering checks on a group pension plan. The sponsoring employer was......

Drum roll

The Bank of England.......

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Good news - my set has been dispatched.

Bad news (see the reviews) - delivery by Yodel! Fingers crossed!
                      Better news - the set arrived safely, so now listening to Haydn Creation.
                      It seems to be a lovely set and at about 67p per CD at the current pricing surely great value - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vivarte-Coll...ywords=vivarte

I did contemplate the Abbado Symphony edition - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-DG-...Abbado+edition The price on that has gone up slightly since the last update here - now £54.17 (about £1.25 per CD - 40 CDs) However, then I thought that although it has some Bruckner recordings which are should definitely be worth hearing - "do I really want more versions of Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert symphonies etc?" I may well revisit this later, but there is a lot of variety in the Vivarte box, so that's where I put my £££ this time round.

I also have just noted the Kubelik set - http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Symphony...CF0T7J7KCSVVYK which was mentioned on last weekend's CD Review re Kubelik's Beethoven 2 - but that's not such good value if one costs per CD - £40.24 for 20 CDs - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-DG-...ubelik+edition - a fraction over £2 per CD.

However that is probably still a good buy - I really like some of Kubelik's Mahler (e.g 1 and 8), though I don't know all his symphony recordings.. The Dvorak cycle is very good, and I believe the same is true for the Schumann, though that box would be less enticing for some because of duplication. I don't have the particular recordings, but the Sony/CBS versions with the Bavarian SO are very good, so I'm less inclined to this set. The Beethoven symphonies have not been collected together before - though does that justify the set for the penny pinchers amonst us?

Trying to drag some of these threads back to anything remotely close to the topic is like trying to herd cats on occasions.

Assuming Yodel did do the delivery they were OK this time - though I have had one or two less than good experiences with them in the past. Similarly for Hermes, but perhaps we can put these down to "statistics"! Maybe I did them an injustice - "thank you Yodel."

Comment

• hafod
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        I did contemplate the Abbado Symphony edition - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-DG-...Abbado+edition The price on that has gone up slightly since the last update here - now £54.17 (about £1.25 per CD - 40 CDs) However, then I thought that although it has some Bruckner recordings which are should definitely be worth hearing - "do I really want more versions of Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert symphonies etc?" I may well revisit this later, but there is a lot of variety in the Vivarte box, so that's where I put my £££ this time round."
                        It has already been pointed out that sections of this symphony edition have been released by composer. The Bruckner is available new from the Marketplace for £14.50.

Comment

• Parry1912
                          • Nov 2010

The Bruckner 1 in that set is really outstanding!
                          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

The Dutilleux Erato box has drifted down to around £9.50 inc p and p.

Comment

• Mark Meldon

I think the Dutilleux Erato Box is, actually, made up of EMI/Virgin Classics recordings. We are soon to be in for a period of confusion as Warner now has the original Erato, Teldec, EMI, Virgin, HMV, Finlandia, Nonesuch catalogues to play with! It seems the recently released Warner CPE Bach box might have been the first to blend their very extensive catalogue.

I'm rather keen on "historic" recordings, and I note that several Tahra box sets are going for £10-15 on Amazon; just bought Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt's Capitol and Telefunken 3-CD sets for about £12 each; that about two-thirds off normal price. I'm avidly collecting the generally splendid Tahra releases as, sadly, Miriam Scherchen's partner René Trémine recently died and she has decided to call it a day. See www.tahra.com for more. Tahra's transfers are usually top-notch and ofetn give us live recordings which, nowadays, I find bear repeated listening more than today's heavily edited productions.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

The Skrowaczewski Beethoven symphony cycle, including the version of Symphony number 2 which was recommended in a recent BAL, is available from marketplace sellers for about £24, including postage - or £27.16 from amazon direct - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

Comment

Working...
                                X