Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Mr Ovens #443 was a reference to the Satie bargain that Bryn flagged up.

After that two off topic posts, before a return to discussion of the Satie disc.
    At that point the public conversation was dropped,despite being, obliquely at least, relevant to the thread, and in fact, of some musical interest.
    Nightmare.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      This is really for Dave 2002 and his original Q primarily...

English law generally assumes that time of delivery is NOT 'of the essence of the contract', and estimates of delivery time are just that, estimates. If you buy from a shop you can MAKE time of the essence, eg if before you buy you say, "I must have my X by such a date". If the shop say "Yes, we can do that" it is a term of the contract and breach (late delivery) entitles you to revoke the contract and get your money back. But internet ordering doesn't normally allow you to insert such a term...

Where does this leave you? Contract law in general expects delivery to be in a 'reasonable' time, and the rules of distance selling require delivery inside 30 days from date of contract. Also, bear in mind that distance contracts give you a right to cancel for 7 days, soon (from 13 June) to increase to 14 days, after delivery.

Once you've placed your order you are generally entitled to revoke your offer to purchase until your goods are despatched (because internet sellers generally say there is no binding contract till goods are despatched), and then from delivery you have the above cancellation rights.

But NB for CDs, DVDs and software, breaking of any seal on the goods (the transparent wrapping usually) ends your cancellation rights. This is because of the problem of copying digital products - a tad unfair if you can copy them, then send them back a refund!

BUT NB this only applies on products that are sealed. S/h sellers from Marketplace don't seem to bother to reseal products in order to protect themselves, so in those cases they have no comeback if you try the disc, decide you don't like it and send it back.

Here endeth the lesson...
      LMP
      Thanks for this. I wasn't actually too bothered about the zoverstocks CDs as the total comes to less than £5 anyway - as I wrote "not a big deal."
      However, ideally I would like them by Friday this week, and last night I ordered another CD from another supplier, and now wonder if it will arrive by the end of the week. That's what a few days of amazon prime does to you - one can forget that marketplace sellers may have longer timescales - though some are very good.

I'm trying to avoid having to download mp3s or use streaming for some fairly rare pieces.

While you are there though - in the event that my Vivarte box gets dropped from a great height by the deliverer, can I refuse it and claim my money back? I really hope this doesn't happen, but I'm not completely optimistic. I recognise the name of the carrier in the reviews! I am otherwise looking forward to that set.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Re the Italian Quartet's set of Beethoven - indeed this does seem even better at this price - currently £18.22. I also noted that the Alban Berg set is now even cheaper - and even though I have been critical of that at times, it must be a bargain at the current price of £11.28 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...berg+beethoven

Also, there now appears to be a set of the Hungarian Quartet - also at a low price - £12.41 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-St...rtet+beethoven

I'll hold off the Belcea for a while, though I fear I'm going to have it eventually!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          LMP
          Thanks for this. I wasn't actually too bothered about the zoverstocks CDs as the total comes to less than £5 anyway - as I wrote "not a big deal."
          However, ideally I would like them by Friday this week, and last night I ordered another CD from another supplier, and now wonder if it will arrive by the end of the week. That's what a few days of amazon prime does to you - one can forget that marketplace sellers may have longer timescales - though some are very good.

I'm trying to avoid having to download mp3s or use streaming for some fairly rare pieces.

While you are there though - in the event that my Vivarte box gets dropped from a great height by the deliverer, can I refuse it and claim my money back? I really hope this doesn't happen, but I'm not completely optimistic. I recognise the name of the carrier in the reviews! I am otherwise looking forward to that set.

Dave2002

You might want to read the Amazon and specific market seller returns policies. Many market sellers use Amazon's policy.

You won't need an LLM in consumer law!

For example, one of the reasons given on the 'returning items' page is 'received damaged goods'.

My post #4423 is based on the returns policies, which will trump 'English Law' as they offer 'that' and more!

Last edited by Beef Oven!; 26-05-14, 11:30. Reason: I left off an inverted comma

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
            Poulenc Complete Works (20CDs) on EMI for £24.96 at Amazon
            Ordered it yesterday (at £26.25 then, but £25.62 today) and it's just been delivered! First a bargain and today a miracle.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Radio64
              • Jan 2014

amazon.it currently offering knock down prices on mp3s, including some Mahler recordings by San Francisco Symphony..

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B009..._dp_B009ID2436 ..and others in the series.

any good?
              "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• mathias broucek
                • Nov 2010

When I've tried to download from Amazon.de I've not been allowed to (I'm based in the UK).

I have the symphonies with MTT and was generally impressed, although interestingly, they're not the recordings I return to....

Comment

• Radio64
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                  When I've tried to download from Amazon.de I've not been allowed to (I'm based in the UK).

I have the symphonies with MTT and was generally impressed, although interestingly, they're not the recordings I return to....
                  Thank Mathias: I'm based in IT which means that although my original amazon account was registered in UK I can only download mp3s in IT (and not from UK!).

(Oddly though I can only purchase Kindle products from UK and not IT but that's fine by me.)

Think I might be checking out those Mahler recordings.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                    Thank Mathias: I'm based in IT which means that although my original amazon account was registered in UK I can only download mp3s in IT (and not from UK!).

(Oddly though I can only purchase Kindle products from UK and not IT but that's fine by me.)

Think I might be checking out those Mahler recordings.
                    I had no difficulty downloading an embarrassingly large number of albums in Turkey, last year and this month, even tough I'm a registered Amazon UK dude.

Similarly, last month travelling to Istanbul, I was allowed to buy Teacher's 1 litre whisky at £11 a bottle, but my friend who was with me, but traveling to Munich, had to pay £23. The chap at the whisky shop said it was because Germany is in the EU. I did not indulge in any schadenfreude!!

The EU is effectively a big protectionist customs union, so don't be surprised if they use protectionist policies on your download purchases.

Comment

• Radio64
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      I had no difficulty downloading an embarrassingly large number of albums in Turkey, last year and this month, even tough I'm a registered Amazon UK dude.

Sorry Beef .. you were actually in Turkey or downloading from Turkey whilst in the UK? Is there really an amazon.tr?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Sorry Beef .. you were actually in Turkey or downloading from Turkey whilst in the UK? Is there really an amazon.tr?
                        I was actually variously in Istanbul, Izmir & Bodrum, downloading from my Amazon UK account. I have the exit/entry stamps and visas in my passport, to prove it.

Comment

• Radio64
                          • Jan 2014

Oh yeah that's OK then ... I doubt amazon will want to see your passport though.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Oh yeah that's OK then ... I doubt amazon will want to see your passport though.
                            Might as well, they know friggin' everything else about me

Comment

• Radio64
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Might as well, they know friggin' everything else about me

Comment

• Parry1912
                                • Nov 2010

Unless you're a marketplace seller!
                                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Working...
                                X