Bargains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

The complete cycle of Mahler symphonies by Boston Symphony Orchestra under Seiji Ozawa ... I didn't know it existed but here it is on 14 CDs priced at £20.08 if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber

Does anyone know this cycle? I doubt it's a top choice but at this price it has to be worth investigating surely.
    Last edited by Guest; 23-04-14, 14:29. Reason: link

Comment

• amateur51

A Harmonia Mundi Gold 10 CD boxed set entitled Romantic may not sound promisiing but it contains the following:

and just over £11.00 inc P&P from

I've ordered a copy

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
        • Mar 2013

Stunning value and well spotted!

I might have to take this up and re-sell my individual Herreweghe discs (the LvB and Brahms works).

Engerer's Chopin Nocturnes are available on YouTube to sample here. I discovered them the other day and spent a happy couple of hours in their company. A different but lovely and compelling account.

Now, do I like Fink's voice? Over to YouTube to find out...
        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          The complete cycle of Mahler symphonies by Boston Symphony Orchestra under Seiji Ozawa ... I didn't know it existed but here it is on 14 CDs priced at £20.08 if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber

Does anyone know this cycle? I doubt it's a top choice but at this price it has to be worth investigating surely.
          Tony Duggan, in his general survey of Mahler sets, write:

"Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony Orchestra on Philips (4388742) provides superb orchestral playing and excellent sound recording but too often there is failure to penetrate much beneath the surface of the notes."

Much more reliable than Hurwitz, who gives the set 8 for sound and 8 for performance.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Tony Duggan, in his general survey of Mahler sets, write:

"Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony Orchestra on Philips (4388742) provides superb orchestral playing and excellent sound recording but too often there is failure to penetrate much beneath the surface of the notes."

Much more reliable than Hurwitz, who gives the set 8 for sound and 8 for performance.
            Many thanks Bryn, Tony Duggan's survey is always worth revisiting (so why didn't I? ). P'raps I'll leave it then

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post

I might have to take this up and re-sell my individual Herreweghe discs (the LvB and Brahms works).

Engerer's Chopin Nocturnes are available on YouTube to sample here. I discovered them the other day and spent a happy couple of hours in their company. A different but lovely and compelling account.

I agree with you about Engerer's Chopin nocturnes Throppers - her recordings should be much better known

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Argerich's 2013 Lugano box £10.95 at MDT - including yet another Beethoven 1 but if it is half as good as the performance in Manchester last summer it will be worth having Beethoven cello sonata no5 with Maisky , Capucon/Piemontesi in the Resphighi sonata and Argerich leading the way in the Carnival of the Animals .

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

I like Fink. Her Frauenliebe was on the the HM 50th Aniversary box.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    I like Fink. Her Frauenliebe was on the the HM 50th Aniversary box.
                    It is also to be found on the 'tube. From what I've heard, the vibrato is trill-like and consistent, not mannered and grating.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      A Harmonia Mundi Gold 10 CD boxed set entitled Romantic may not sound promisiing but it contains the following:

and just over £11.00 inc P&P from

I've ordered a copy
                      nearly all duplicating CDs

Comment

• soileduk
                        • Nov 2010

Haydn symphonies 4 disc set by Claudia Abbado currently £8.86 on Play.come seller marvelioUk.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                          • Mar 2013

Qobuz has religious music on sale for those not allergic to downloads in lossless FLAC until April 30.

CPE Bach: Die Auferstehung und Himmelfahrt Jesu, La Petite Band/Kuijken/et al: €5.59 http://www.qobuz.com/album/bach-carl.../0034571154787

An excellent bargain: Carlo Gesualdo: Tenebrae, The Hilliard Ensemble: €7.53 (a saving of €12) http://www.qobuz.com/album/the-hilli.../0004228438672

Other in the promotion listed here: http://www.qobuz.com/recherche?s=prc...014&i=boutique

Comment

• PJPJ
                            • Nov 2010

Qobuz has religious music on sale for those not allergic to downloads in lossless FLAC until April 30.
                            Qobuz supplies flac and other lossless file formats.

ALAC, AIFF, FLAC, WMA....

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
                              Haydn symphonies 4 disc set by Claudia Abbado currently £8.86 on Play.come seller marvelioUk.
                              Glad to see the Abbado genes still active in the music world
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• johnn10
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                                Not if the marketing people had their way. I suspect that something like 'the Pre-Great Symphonies' would be used.
                                Or "Mozart -The Unknown Masterworks in Legendary Recordings"

Comment

Working...
                                X