X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    Berlioz: Complete Orchestral and Sacred Music: Colin Davis 13cds at AmUk for £20.59.

Karl Bohm: Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart and Schubert Symphonies - 22cds for £28.72 from AmUk.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karl-Bohm-Lu...ZPDGHVE0ZD6K1X
    Re the Böhm box, one of the comments on the site is that it's worth it for the Schubert Unfinished alone. In a recently broadcast COTW it might have been this version of Schubert's 8th which was played - and I noted that it sounded special - different from most - and I could agree with the comment on the Amazon site. However, Böhm probably recorded it several times, so it may not have been the same version.

A track listing is here - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/DG/4807484 - and this also puts the bargain into a different light, as the price is considerably higher. Also, there are many more Mozart symphonies than I'd have expected.

I'm not sure about all the Beethoven symphonies. I have one version by Böhm of the 9th symphony - the one with Domingo and other superb soloists. It is dire IMO because of the slow speeds in the last movement, and Karajan is in a different league altogether. However, again the versions in this box may be different.

Despite these concerns, definitely seems like one to go for - though it might turn out to be a bit of a mixed bag.

Comment

• akiralx
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I'm not sure about all the Beethoven symphonies. I have one version by Böhm of the 9th symphony - the one with Domingo and other superb soloists. It is dire IMO because of the slow speeds in the last movement, and Karajan is in a different league altogether. However, again the versions in this box may be different.
      It is - the 9th with Domingo et al was recorded as a one-off towards the end of Bohm's life (it is actually a digital recording) whereas the 9th in this box will be the recording made with the rest of the cycle, and which is very fine.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
        Following Makropoulos' glowing reports of Kegel's work in IRR, I've pulled the trigger on this one. Thanks PJPJ
        As did I; worth it for the Gürrelieder alone. No-holds-barred Arnie in really good sound. Still copies available at Amazon for a ridiculously low price, given the quality of what is being offered. There's even the 'Carmina Burana' which I remember from a Heliodor LP, although even Kegel can't turn that sow's ear of a work into a silk purse. See:

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

Jochum - Beethoven, Buckner and Bahms cycles in a single box for less than £21 - a steal although for most it will mean duplication.

Amazon Italy has the EMI 56cd Aldo Ciccolini box for €36.63. The ASIN is B002SV3KOM and there is a contents list in one of the 'reviews' on Am.Uk (link below).

Talking of Amazon.It, the 50cd EMI-Eminence collection can be had there for €48.45.
          Last edited by hafod; 11-04-14, 10:59. Reason: To add 2 more bargains.

Comment

• Parry1912
            • Nov 2010

Europadisc Spring Sale
            Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... from the Building a Library thread in rem: Mozart Coronation Mass -

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... if anyone is looking to pick up the Hogwood Coronation in C plus the Great in c min really cheaply - I see that you can get the classic fm CD of this for seventeen pence (plus postage) on amazon...

Comment

• Rolmill
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... from the Building a Library thread in rem: Mozart Coronation Mass -
                Thanks vinteuil, I missed this link on the other thread, order just placed (they only had two left). Even with postage, it was not much over £1, so a good bargain.

Edit: Ah OK, I thought I had missed a much earlier reference to it, didn't realise you had only recently posted on the other thread also!
                Last edited by Rolmill; 11-04-14, 16:35. Reason: penny drops

Comment

• PJPJ
                  • Nov 2010

Boulez BMG complete

67 CDs for £82.43

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

Krips conducts Mozart: The Great Symphonies 21 - 41 (6cd): £5.87 Am.UK (Note; free delivery in the UK only on orders over £10).
                    One left!

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                      Krips conducts Mozart: The Great Symphonies 21 - 41 (6cd): £5.87 Am.UK (Note; free delivery in the UK only on orders over £10).
                      One left!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krips-conduc...dp/B000OPPSXK/
                      That was the marketplace price for a new copy. Marketplace sales are not included in the free p&p system, even when the order totals more than £10. I have ordered that last one by the way. However, there is still one (Used - Like New) for £6.61 + £1.26 p&p available from the same marketplace vendor.

Comment

• waldo
                        • Mar 2013

Just ordered Haydn Opus 33 set by London Haydn Quartet for..........

........£0.03 on Amazon!!!!!

It has to be a mistake. There's only ONE left in stock, so hurry

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by waldo View Post
                          Just ordered Haydn Opus 33 set by London Haydn Quartet for..........

........£0.03 on Amazon!!!!!

It has to be a mistake. There's only ONE left in stock, so hurry
                          Thanks Waldo

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Update: Amazon emailed me to say they are delivering it today!!!!?

Is it so bad that they want rid of it so quickly?

Comment

• PJPJ
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

http://orangereview.net/cd-from-hell...s-toxic-op-33/
                              That's one of David Hurwitz's CD From Hell reviews from the series of the same name. These days you need to subscribe to read most of them.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

http://orangereview.net/cd-from-hell...s-toxic-op-33/
                                well, the reviewer won't put their name to it, so probably talking rubbish.

I certainly wouldn't order such a shoddy sounding disc.........or any others in the series.....

Edit: Isn't that the wrong disc , Beefy?

Or did I order a different one? I ordered the Kodaly quartet Op33 nos 3, 4 and 6 for £0.38 p.

bloody confusing, all these quartets !!
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X