• Dec 2011

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
    Surely not our Alpie?
    Well we know what a HIPP person he is?

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Oh, and if you want a slightly more complete survey, you need to have or search out the BBCMM cover disc of Symphonies 76 and 77.
      ... I think some secondhand copies still available on amazon.com (tho' not amazon.co.uk... ).

Very much looking forward to getting the Hogwood box .
      When they were coming out in individual vols I havered and didn't bite - now I shall find out what I was missing...

But so sad the incompleteness!

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

I couldn't agree more, vinteuil...I was aghast when Decca axed the series three quarters of the way through. Apart from ruining a wonderful survey, it was also a real kick in the teeth to those of us who forked out full price for each new issue.

I managed to get hold of the extra 76 and 77 disc at the time. Personally, I love the AAMs way with Haydn...springy, lithe performances in what to me seems like an ideal acoustic. I'm sure you won't regret the purchase.

The 20 CD Vivaldi set is also well worth having...I have all the individual CDs already - superb!

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
          Surely not our Alpie?
          No, I think it's the "CD From " reviewer........

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
            Grateful thanks for this.

Ansermet 32 disc box for £38.47.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ernest-Anser...rds=B00DT2322E
            This Ansermet box has given me hours and hours of pleasure. Although some of the early 50s recordings (there are not many of them) sound a bit sub-fusc, the vast majority are Decca sound at its best. And the performances are not half bad either. While the orchestral playing is sometimes a bit scrappy, the enthusiasm and joie de vivre which come across more than compensate for any slight shortcomings. Because Ansermet recorded so prolifically for Decca, the tendency to take the results rather for granted means that they have often not been given their due. That he was (a) Swiss; and (b) a mathematician also hasn't helped. Other conductors may be better in some of the repertoire here (Paray in Chabrier; Monteux in Ravel) but Ansermet gives them a good run for their money. There is a box of his Russian Music recordings due sometime soon but in the meantime, at the Amazon price, this French Music box is a very good bargain. And Auber's Overture to Fra Diavolo is so much more fun than yet another tootly concerto by Vivaldi, Christopher Hogwood and AAM notwithstanding.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MLF View Post
              Although a chunk of change, this looks very good value and worthy of consideration:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
              A strange mixture of recordings over a very great number of years but if it jigsaws into what's already on your shelf probably good value.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                This Ansermet box has given me hours and hours of pleasure. Although some of the early 50s recordings (there are not many of them) sound a bit sub-fusc, the vast majority are Decca sound at its best. And the performances are not half bad either. While the orchestral playing is sometimes a bit scrappy, the enthusiasm and joie de vivre which come across more than compensate for any slight shortcomings. Because Ansermet recorded so prolifically for Decca, the tendency to take the results rather for granted means that they have often not been given their due. That he was (a) Swiss; and (b) a mathematician also hasn't helped. Other conductors may be better in some of the repertoire here (Paray in Chabrier; Monteux in Ravel) but Ansermet gives them a good run for their money. There is a box of his Russian Music recordings due sometime soon but in the meantime, at the Amazon price, this French Music box is a very good bargain. And Auber's Overture to Fra Diavolo is so much more fun than yet another tootly concerto by Vivaldi, Christopher Hogwood and AAM notwithstanding.
                I agree with you about how good a box this is - I have too much previous on my shelves, in fact almost all, and I fear will be same with the Russian box. His recordings were almost always excellent and his performances also but sometimes pipped into second place. Maybe his omnipresence in the catalogue led to being taken a little for granted.

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

Amazon Italy has the 26cd box of CPE Bach's complete piano works by Ana-Marija Markovina on Haenssler for €11.25 - works out at at £15.54 delivered. The ASIN is B00IGJP0Q6.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

CPE Bach's complete piano works
                    Verily, a man ahead of his time.

Comment

• Roehre

Amazon Italy has the 26cd box of CPE Bach's complete piano works by Ana-Marija Markovina on Haenssler for €11.25 - works out at at £15.54 delivered. The ASIN is B00IGJP0Q6.
                      Molti grazie

especially as the river people here in the UK, the US, France or Germany are a bit more expensive
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-04-14, 20:10.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Grazie Mille, hafod!

Amazing bargain - hopefully in me mitts within 3-5 days!

Comment

• hafod
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          That Russian box (with contents) is now up on Amazon.It for €60.46

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

An amazing bargain, no doubt...but I'll resist, as I really prefer CPE on fortepiano. Someday BIS will reissue Miklos Spanyi's survey, but I'm sure it'll never be as cheap as this! Anyway, hope you enjoy the box.

Comment

• PJPJ
                              • Nov 2010

Herbert Kegel bargain box under 20 Euro

Comment

Working...
                              X