Deutsche Harmonia Mundi 25CD set at JPC for EUR 19.99
      Blimey!
      "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
        Deutsche Harmonia Mundi 25CD set at JPC for EUR 19.99
        Still good value and great recordings but it's a cut-down version of the 50CD set which came out in 2008. I got it for £40 then from Germany. The jpc reviewer only gives three stars for that reason, suggesting it might have been more customer-friendly ("kundenfreundlicher") to bring out an issue with 25 different recordings.

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

3CD Stoki on BBC Legends going for < £8

It includes an incendiary Mahler 2 (check out the basses at the very start) in decent mono albeit with some mishaps (e.g. the first brass entry in Urlicht) plus high quality stereo RVW (8) and DSCH (5). Haven't tried the Brahms 4 yet but the Perpetuum Mobile encore is a gem.

Comment

• Mark Meldon

Paul Badura Skoda's 9-CD set of Schubert sonatas on period keyboards on £10.50 at Europadisc! I have this as originally issued by Arcana as three 3-CD sets and it cost me about £60 three years ago. One or two of the foretpianos are a bit creaky, but I enjoy the set and Badura-Skoda's notes are enlightening. A terrific bargain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mark Meldon View Post
              Paul Badura Skoda's 9-CD set of Schubert sonatas on period keyboards on £10.50 at Europadisc! I have this as originally issued by Arcana as three 3-CD sets and it cost me about £60 three years ago. One or two of the foretpianos are a bit creaky, but I enjoy the set and Badura-Skoda's notes are enlightening. A terrific bargain.
              Oh my, that's got the weekend off to a flying start - many thanks Mark Meldon

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

It is indeed a wonderful price for the Badura-Skoda set, but I will be resisting, not because of the creaky fortepianos (I love them!) but for the very dry acoustic given to the recordings. A pity it wasn't the BIS/Brautigam engineers on hand, to me that is an ideal sound.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

I'm trying to go easy on such boxes but this really did seem to be too good to pass by. I read some very enthusiastic reviews: E.g. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                    It is indeed a wonderful price for the Badura-Skoda set, but I will be resisting, not because of the creaky fortepianos (I love them!) but for the very dry acoustic given to the recordings. A pity it wasn't the BIS/Brautigam engineers on hand, to me that is an ideal sound.
                    I'm thrilled to have such wretched hearing that such considerations do not apply

Can't wait for Mr Brautigam's Beethoven sonatas to be collected in a nice cut-price box. The Mozart sonatas & variations and Haydn sonatas are already there.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      I'm thrilled to have such wretched hearing that such considerations do not apply

Can't wait for Mr Brautigam's Beethoven sonatas to be collected in a nice cut-price box. The Mozart sonatas & variations and Haydn sonatas are already there.
                      You'll have to wait for the remainder of the Beethoven piano works to be released. There are 5 more SACDs to come yet. Also, if and when a boxed set is released, it is likely to be of CDs only, not SACDs.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        You'll have to wait for the remainder of the Beethoven piano works to be released. There are 5 more SACDs to come yet. Also, if and when a boxed set is released, it is likely to be of CDs only, not SACDs.
                        Patience I have in abundance

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          I have it on very good authority that the Beethovens will indeed be put into one box, so I'm waiting for then. Meantime I continue to enjoy Brautigam's Haydn and Mozart boxes - some of the most refined and witty playing I have ever heard and the recordings are beautiful to my ears. Even those who don't normally like fortepianos should give them a try.

Comment

• hafod
                            • Nov 2010

Grateful thanks for this.

Amazon.UK have lowered prices (for how long?) on these:

Hogwood 20 disc Vivaldi box for £26.

Hogwood 32 disc Haydn symphonies box for £40.83.

Ansermet 32 disc box for £38.47.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                              Hogwood 32 disc Haydn symphonies box for £40.83.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Sympho...rds=B009LNI0T0

" ... the performances themselves stand as the dullest available. Hogwood’s approach to this music lacks any vestige of emotional involvement. He’s completely mechanical. Slow movements, with their vibrato-less strings and thin tone sound completely soulless, while the quicker ones move with a choppy, routine vigor. ... "

Guess who?

Oh, and if you want a slightly more complete survey, you need to have or search out the BBCMM cover disc of Symphonies 76 and 77.

Comment

• verismissimo
                                • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Bryn;389526
                                Guess who?
                                [/QUOTE]

Surely not our Alpie?

Comment

Working...
                                X