X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    I may be wrong but I think that Ormandy did not get the respect he deserved. Most of his recorded performances were very good but on your side of the pond he appeared to be behind the likes of Walter, Szell, Reiner and Munch in the pecking order. I would like to see a comprehensive Sibelius box including his 50s mono recordings and all the CBS and RCA stereo recordings from the 60s and 70s. I think there is also a Beethoven Symphony cycle (CBS) which has not been issued in the UK.
    His records sold very well, especially compared to Bernstein. With the sales there would come come some complaints that he wasn't as "profound" or (substitute the adjective of your choice), as some other Conductors. I absorbed this line of thought as a young adult and have only begun to question it recently with all these budget priced Ormandy reissues. And the style of the Orchestra was not as conducive to Mozart or Haydn as it was to Romantic Music.
    My aforementioned roommate had the CBS Beethoven cycle and I would always praise my Szell set at the expense of his Ormandy. I would like to rehear the Ormandy after all these years.

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

I am currently listening to Rachmaninov, Isle Of The Dead, Slatkin/Detroit SO. This recording got pretty bad reviews, and the Orchestra doesn't sound nearly as opulent and some other ensembles that have recorded it. I rather enjoyed the comparative understatement which saves this from becoming a potboiler. The recording is also very detailed and realistic. On to the First Symphony.

Enjoyed the Symphony. This is the first time I didn't find myself agreeing with Cesar Cui.
      Last edited by richardfinegold; 14-03-14, 22:47. Reason: listened to the rest of the CD

Comment

• mikealdren
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
        AmazonUK has the 103cd Heifetz: The Complete Album Collection for £163.97 - JUST ONE LEFT!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jascha-Heife...ifetz+complete
        Usual wisdom after the event, 'should have bought a few copies as investments when they were cheap and readily available!'

Mike

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
          Usual wisdom after the event, 'should have bought a few copies as investments when they were cheap and readily available!'

Mike
          The Heifetz recordings have been reissued so frequently and in so many formats, that it makes me wonder about any possible resale value.

Comment

• mikealdren
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            The Heifetz recordings have been reissued so frequently and in so many formats, that it makes me wonder about any possible resale value.
            True although it's interesting how some people will pay a premium for certain editions.

I tend to start with the view that all digital editions from the same source are similar and later ones tend to be better, unlike LPs, it's rare for the original editions to sound better than a remastered version.

Mike

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post

Mike
              Funnily enough Mike, we were in Milan a year past December and the Italian equivalent of HMV literally had piles of the Heifetz edition! I wonder if they have any left...

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

7 CDs of Harnoncourt and his Concentus Musicus Wien performing early Mozart symphonies going very cheap:

Comment

• mikealdren
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                  Funnily enough Mike, we were in Milan a year past December and the Italian equivalent of HMV literally had piles of the Heifetz edition! I wonder if they have any left...
                  Hi PG, did you buy one, it's an excellent set and it was very cheap when I got it. I've just got a pile of Heifetz CDs to sell on ebay now!

Mike

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                    7 CDs of Harnoncourt and his Concentus Musicus Wien performing early Mozart symphonies going very cheap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikolaus-Har...art+symphonies
                    Do I really need any more early Mozart? I have a couple of sets already, and, much though I like both Mozart and Harnoncourt .... ?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Do I really need any more early Mozart? I have a couple of sets already, and, much though I like both Mozart and Harnoncourt .... ?
                      I have the excellent Pinnock complete set and will admit that I don't play the early ones that often. I see there is a very good bargain offer on at MDT at the moment.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        I have the excellent Pinnock complete set and will admit that I don't play the early ones that often. I see there is a very good bargain offer on at MDT at the moment.
                        Yes, there are some very tempting items in that MDT promotion.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I shan't bother with the Harnoncourt either, as I have the 19 CD set which Hogwood did, and I love that more than any of the others.

I've been tempted today by some Brilliant Classics recordings of 19th century piano quartets on period instruments...some unusual repertoire, Ries, Hummel, Onslow etc.

Comment

• Radio64
                            • Jan 2014

The Essential John Tavener [5CD Box] £15.13 .. worth having?
                            Last edited by Radio64; 21-03-14, 14:20.
                            "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                              The Essential John Tavener [5CD Box] £15.13 .. worth having?
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Jo...dp_tracks_all_
                              No. As nothing by Tavener is essential IMO

Comment

• verismissimo
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                                No. As nothing by Tavener is essential IMO
                                I recall Endymion putting on a Tavener "Composer Choice" concert on the South Bank (while I was chairman of the ensemble). Couldn't bring myself to turn up, but ticket sales were excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X