Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

Barenboim's late '60s cycle of Beethoven Piano Sonatas - £9.16 at AmUk (need to top-up to £10+ to get free delivery).

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by hafod View Post
      Barenboim's late '60s cycle of Beethoven Piano Sonatas - £9.16 at AmUk (need to top-up to £10+ to get free delivery).
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...rds=B008DK3QBY
      Is this a new imposition by Amazon - interesting that they charge more than they allow merchants!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Is this a new imposition by Amazon - interesting that they charge more than they allow merchants!
        I think it is more of a re-imposition, though ISTR the old base rate was £15. This was some years ago.

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...rds=B008DK3QBY
          Congratulations Hafod, you opened the 400th page of Bargains!

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Strauss operas for around £12 - 10 CDs conducted by Karl Böhm - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...44681091_em_ti
            No detailed listing of what's on the 10 CDs as yet - though said to contain Ariadne auf Naxos, Elektra, Die Frau ohne Schatten, and Daphne, as well as selections from Salome, Arabella, and Capriccio.

A set relased earlier, a few months ago has Rosenkavalier, Die Schweigsame Frau, Arabella and Capriccio.

The recordings will be old, though some of the performances, according to reviews, may be excellent - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strauss-Comp...NHHWQNC3P52P9X

Also check MDT and Presto which might be competitive in pricing for this second set.e.g

The final price may be determined by the postage charges.
            Last edited by Dave2002; 27-02-14, 08:00.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

My Verdi box has been despatched ahead of the original expected date.

That big opera collection on ebay is at £130 ATM..............
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

My Verdi set arrived yesterday for £10.99 - thanks hafod !

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Is this a bargain? Christina Pluhar and Arpeggiata for around £21 - 6CDs - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christina-Pl...3579214&sr=1-7

Depends if you like the music and the performers. I only heardof them very recently, and heard some of their performances.

Comment

• Rolmill
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Is this a bargain? Christina Pluhar and Arpeggiata for around £21 - 6CDs - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christina-Pl...3579214&sr=1-7

Depends if you like the music and the performers. I only heardof them very recently, and heard some of their performances.
                    I would say it certainly is a bargain Dave. I have three of the five original releases (one of the others is a 2-disc set, hence six CDs in this box) and play them regularly. Pluhar and her group frequently achieve an addictive mix of infectious and haunting, not least in the opening track of the Landi disc (the Passacaglia della vita) which I love. The music is well off the beaten track and performances and music are very fine, so if you are tempted - don't hesitate!

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                      I would say it certainly is a bargain Dave. I have three of the five original releases (one of the others is a 2-disc set, hence six CDs in this box) and play them regularly. Pluhar and her group frequently achieve an addictive mix of infectious and haunting, not least in the opening track of the Landi disc (the Passacaglia della vita) which I love. The music is well off the beaten track and performances and music are very fine, so if you are tempted - don't hesitate!
                      Yes, it is a bargain and I agree that the music and performances are wonderful, but if you are a stickler for CD notes, be aware that you don't get the original ones which came with the first release of the discs.

Comment

• MLF

Bach Deluge

There are three complete JSB Bach collections: Brilliant Classics, Hanssler and Warner (on USB stick). All three may fairly be considered bargains. I would, however, welcome advice on which would be the one to plump for.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MLF View Post
                          There are three complete JSB Bach collections: Brilliant Classics, Hanssler and Warner (on USB stick). All three may fairly be considered bargains. I would, however, welcome advice on which would be the one to plump for.
                          I can't speak for all the sets as I only have the Brilliant. I haven't regretted my purchase - though I probably won't listen to all the discs in my lifetime.
                          Steve

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            My Verdi set arrived yesterday for £10.99 - thanks hafod !
                            Mine was waiting me for me today on my return to France from the UK. Until I had it in my hands, I feared that it might have been another barcode blunder and that it would turn out to be Andre Rieu's Greatest Hits. Maddeningly, the Vernon Handley V-W Complete Symphonies box, ordered from Rarewaves at least two weeks earlier, has definitely gone astray somewhere crossing La Manche.

When I see the name 'Hafod' in the bargains thread, I feel that little frisson of excitement about what new wonder has been ferreted out by our Capo di Capi of bargain-finders. So, many thanks again, Hafod, for this amazing bargain.

Comment

• hafod
                              • Nov 2010

Well, it is good to know that others also received copies at this absurd but welcome price.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Well, it is good to know that others also received copies at this absurd but welcome price.
                                mine turned up today.
                                Just listening to the overture to Nabucco as a pipe opener for an evening of live folk rock.
                                Cheers Hafod , and happy listening Verdi fans!!
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X