Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Play.com have the download of the complete Holmboe Symphonies for a bargain £7.99 (seems to be over £30 elsewhere.)

Mp3 in a zip file, but worked pretty ok for me.
    Fill yer boots.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Alex Ross' 'The Rest Is Noise' is available as download for your notebook, kindle, smart phone, desktop computer, laptop etc for just £3.99!!!

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
        Brendel complete Mozart PCs - Vox version - £4.49 download from iTunes...

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/mo...os/id571033918
        What's the sound quality like? A few download "bargains" I've had recently have been very disappointing, and I find it hard to believe that the CD equivalents wouldn't have been a lot better. That's not always the way,though.

Comment

• Stunsworth
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          What's the sound quality like? A few download "bargains" I've had recently have been very disappointing, and I find it hard to believe that the CD equivalents wouldn't have been a lot better. That's not always the way,though.
          I've just listened to one of the PCs on Qobuz, and the sound quality is fine - if not outstanding. Certainly worth considering the set for a fiver.
          Steve

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
            Well worth the price IMHO, particularly if you like to hear the wind and brass without much in the way of strings I call it the wind-band/ Harmonie Mahler 3. But I still love it...
            How does it compare to the famous studio recording on Unicorn with Norma Proctor ?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              How does it compare to the famous studio recording on Unicorn with Norma Proctor ?
              <dohicon> It's the Unicorn recording I was talking about. Hadn't twigged there was any another by Horenstein
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                <dohicon> It's the Unicorn recording I was talking about. Hadn't twigged there was any another by Horenstein
                I did wonder - although I thought perhaps if the strings were not emphasised in this live record it could have been a deliberate Horenstein balance choice . Anyone , who has compared them?

Comment

• hafod
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                  The best bargain I saw today was the 152cd RCO Radio Legacy set for £84.44 new from a marketplace seller M & L UK (actually based in Germany). When I came across it there were 3 copies. I hesitated for a few minutes as I already had vols 4-7 during which time a quick look at the second-hand prices for these showed that I should recoup much if not all of that outlay. When I came to order there was one left but my order went through. Now the wait to see if it is for real!
                  The seller has another four sets of this box - £84.98 each!! The ASIN is B00G6N4GLO.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                    I've just listened to one of the PCs on Qobuz, and the sound quality is fine - if not outstanding. Certainly worth considering the set for a fiver.
                    Actually not just Brendel. Pianists include Martin Galling, Walter Klien, Ingrid Haebler, Peter Franlkl, and Alfred Brendel.

Comment

• Mark Meldon

Thanks for the "heads-up"; duly ordered and we shall see. I have bought from this German supplier before without any problems, so fingers crossed!

Comment

• hafod
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mark Meldon View Post
                        Thanks for the "heads-up"; duly ordered and we shall see. I have bought from this German supplier before without any problems, so fingers crossed!
                        You had to be quick - there are now none left

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                          You had to be quick - there are now none left
                          Double drat! - but many thanks for the alert

Comment

• hafod
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Double drat! - but many thanks for the alert
                            Put it in your wish list and check frequently. Two bites at the cherry so far - I suppose it is conceivable that there might be a third.

Comment

• Mark Meldon

That's sound advice! That's how I picked up the Murray Perahia 40 years box for £48 back in the summer of last year. It sits glowering at me on the shelf whispering "play me" along with all of the other bargain boxes - when will there ever be time? I suppose, one day, these huge box sets will no longer be issued as all realistic permutations will have been made in order to extend copyright.

By the time I get round to listening to them all, I'll probably be deaf with old age!

It is weird how quickly prices fluctuate, by significant amounts, on amazon every day. Something call algorithms, I believe.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                                • Nov 2010

Giulini's Sony recordings now in a cheap big box. For me too many duplicates and things I don't want, but good value

Comment

Working...
                                X