Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

This set of Venetian Vespers looks good value - http://www.selections.com/venetian-v...cds-11413.html

Doesn't seem to overlap with the Passion set - also on Brilliant.

Comment

• hafod
      • Nov 2010

I ordered the Gergiev Mahler on the strength of the 6th which I heard at a friend's house. It struck me as bold and full frontal and I wondered what the others might be like. £20 seemed a reasonable price to pay. As I have very few recordings by Gergiev, a Mahler cycle seemed a good way to experience his musicianship particularly as I have a fair number of Mahler recordings already and thus have some familiarity with the repertoire and range of interpretations.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
        Than you nanny, but the product listing states 'Box set, Hybrid SACD'. The photograph of the front of the box has the SACD logo, and the rear of the box has Hybrid SACD as well as the SACD logo. There is no doubting that the discs are hybrid sacds.

Sorry to hear about your stomach.
        No, no. It was your stomach I referred to, "if you can stomach Gergiev's Mahler" (emphasis added). He is by no means my favourite Mahler conductor, (he's no Kondrashin, for instance), but he has something interesting to 'say'. Oh, and read both that which I wrote, and the "amazon.co.uk listing". The latter quite specifically states "Format: Audio CD". Hopefully they have got it wrong, but given that description, one might have a problem seeking redress if that is what they delivered. Strangely, the cover illustration on the online listing for the SACD set on the Presto Classical site bears no SACD logo, yet that on the amazon.co.uk listing which describes the format as "Audio CD" does incorporate the SACD logo. I'll know soon enough which format the discs sold by amazon.co.uk use, though having opted for "Super Saver Delivery", others more eager may well get confirmation sooner.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          This set of Venetian Vespers looks good value - http://www.selections.com/venetian-v...cds-11413.html

Doesn't seem to overlap with the Passion set - also on Brilliant.
          I've had that set for a few years and it is well worth getting. I paid £9.99 from the defunct HMV but post free and still a bargain. We had just come back from a trip to Venice and the Scuola Grande di San Rocco crammed with Tintorettos was still fresh in the memory.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

only just noticed that amazon have put super saver delivery minimum up to £10.
            Which isn't going to improve their already dwindling sales with this particular customer.

They obviously have a tax bill to pay.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Buyng from JPC

Now I figured out what "Postleitzahl" means I hope I've managed to set up an account with JPC - http://www.jpc.de/ Are there any other good bargains from them right now, other than the Haydn set which I intend to order in a few minutes?

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

This Mozart opera set for £9.99 seems good value - http://www.selections.com/mozart-the...eras-9cds.html - though with postage it'll probably cost £13 or so. Some of us may already have most of the specific recordings though.

What is the Karajan Magic Flute like? Also, are some of these mono? I have the Giulini performances (which are good) - is it worth investing in the set for the Karajan operas?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

This Mozart opera set for £9.99 seems good value - http://www.selections.com/mozart-the...eras-9cds.html - though with postage it'll probably cost £13 or so. Some of us may already have most of the specific recordings though.

What is the Karajan Magic Flute like? Also, are some of these mono? I have the Giulini performances (which are good) - is it worth investing in the set for the Karajan operas?
                  Both Karajan recordings are in Mono, both performances are excellent (amongst the very best ever made). Original EMI sound is wonderful (of the Karajans) - warm and full - coming from the very end of the Mono era. BUT - beware REGIS transfers: whilst some have been very good, the company can be rather slap-dash with the quality of their transfers (drop-outs, sudden dips in volume - that sort of thing). Haven't heard these particular transfers, so cannot comment here. But the performances (all four of them) are life-enhancing - if you enjoyed the Guilinis, you need have no reservations about the Karajans.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Now I figured out what "Postleitzahl" means I hope I've managed to set up an account with JPC - http://www.jpc.de/ Are there any other good bargains from them right now, other than the Haydn set which I intend to order in a few minutes?
                    I think you can opt for English.

Comment

• hafod
                      • Nov 2010

Murray Perahia - The First 40 Years: Marketplace seller has this new for £58.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        I think you can opt for English.
                        Thanks. I should try to improve my very little German, anyway. A recent trip to Leipzig convinced me that it's a language I barely know.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks. I should try to improve my very little German, anyway. A recent trip to Leipzig convinced me that it's a language I barely know.
                          Some Germans visiting Leipzig find a language they barely know, thanks to Saxon dialect.

Comment

• Mark Meldon

Ordering from JPC

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            Some Germans visiting Leipzig find a language they barely know, thanks to Saxon dialect.
                            I regularly order from JPC.DE and, once you have set up an account it's a breeze! At the top of the home page you can click "English" and most (but by no means all) of the text will be translated. As owners of/owned by CPO, that label is often very good value. I picked up the CPO box set of Spohr's violin concertos for about £25 a few days ago and they are always competitive on Sony as, I believe, Sony Germany is still very active with new releases.

Orders tend to take 2-3 days to reach the UK and are always well packed.

Comment

• Mark Meldon

How to snaffle real bargains on Amazon!

When I have the odd idle moment with my laptop on and some music playing, I go random bargain hunting on amazon. Over recent years I have snapped up lots of great CDs at prices between 1p and £1.99, including very recent releases. Often the discs are new but unsealed and have been listed by our American friends and, particularly, Zoverstocks, as "used, very good".

You all may know how to do this, if you can be bothered, but here is my technique. Just open "classical" as the search engine, but leave the description box blank. That will bring up tens of thousands of titles. Then use the drop down box on the right hand side to resort in date of release order. Then go to left-hand side of page and refine the price search to 0.01 to 0.99, or whatever figure you want.

Then spend ages scrolling through the lists, picking off likely targets. Don't hang about as I think I'm right in saying that subtle computer programmes are at work here and they soon spot abnormally priced discs. Just yesterday I procrastinated and missed a 2-CD set of Bach violin sonatas and partitas, a 2013 Varese release, and a 2-CD set of Beethoven Trios, all listed a 1p - Grrrr! These were quality recordings, well-reviewed, but one must not be greedy, I suppose!

Just recently, Zoverstocks seems to have picked up some liquidation stock of independent labels like MSR and Atma, to name but two, and there are loads of Opera D'Oro and Archipel titles currently available at prices between 79p and £1.99.

Clearly, there is masses of dross on the search results, but also a few gems, as I hope you will find out.

Comment

• hafod
                                • Nov 2010

There are some 80 Hyperion discs (including a number of quite recent releases) for €5.99 at JPC.

Also, a couple of dozen on the Sterling label (rare repertoire) at the same price.

Comment

Working...
                                X