Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

Despite over half of it being available to stream on Qobuz I bought the 'Decca, The Analogue Years' box.

Now ripped and playing through iTunes the performances and the sound are first rate. The remastering of the original recordings is excellent, breathtaking in places. Currently listening to the Scmidt-Isserstedt Beethoven 9th. Amazing to think that the recording is nearly 40 years old. It's sounding wonderfully fresh through the Quads.

Highly recommended. Now do I buy the other box? <grin>.
    Steve

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
      Despite over half of it being available to stream on Qobuz I bought the 'Decca, The Analogue Years' box.

Now ripped and playing through iTunes the performances and the sound are first rate. The remastering of the original recordings is excellent, breathtaking in places. Currently listening to the Scmidt-Isserstedt Beethoven 9th. Amazing to think that the recording is nearly 40 years old. It's sounding wonderfully fresh through the Quads.

45 years or so I'd say.

Comment

• Stunsworth
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        45 years or so I'd say.
        My mistake, according to the booklet, recorded Dec 1965, published 1966
        Steve

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

My mistake, according to the booklet, recorded Dec 1965, published 1966
          I remember the LP in the days when it annoyingly had a side break mid Movt 3.

Comment

• Stunsworth
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            I remember the LP in the days when it annoyingly had a side break mid Movt 3.
            I have the LP from when it was released on Decca's Jubilee label. It's decades since I've played it, so I can't remember if that version had the side break you mention.
            Steve

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

I have the LP from when it was released on Decca's Jubilee label. It's decades since I've played it, so I can't remember if that version had the side break you mention.
              It probably did as it was an early one and it was only later LPs which benefited from pressing techniques which allowed longer sides.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Do you mean the digital Decca box? It's very good. I'm getting the feeling that you feel the analogue box is a good thing to have. I've not succumbed to that one yet.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Do you mean the digital Decca box? It's very good. I'm getting the feeling that you feel the analogue box is a good thing to have. I've not succumbed to that one yet.
                  This is the 'other' box I was referring to...

It's a mix of analogue and digital recordings.

The analogue box I bought really is superb. I had a listen to the Solti Mahler 2 this evening. The remastering is superb. I know I'm going to crack and buy the other box linked to above, it's just a matter of when.
                  Steve

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

This is the 'other' box I was referring to...

It's a mix of analogue and digital recordings.

The analogue box I bought really is superb. I had a listen to the Solti Mahler 2 this evening. The remastering is superb. I know I'm going to crack and buy the other box linked to above, it's just a matter of when.
                    Of course it is a mix - I was forgetting.

Your last sentence will v. probably also apply to me, in reverse. I'll keep the analogue set under consideration.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Don't remember this getting flagged up.
                      A wide range of Gardening, home accessories, wildlife and bird care products, outdoor leisure and games.

looks good value.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Don't remember this getting flagged up.
                        A wide range of Gardening, home accessories, wildlife and bird care products, outdoor leisure and games.

looks good value.
                        Well and truly worth it, and more, for Hill's recordings of the piano works alone. The songs are pretty good too. Tanke would not be my first (nor second to fifth) choice for the organ works, but then neither would I bin them.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                          • Nov 2010

The DG Karajan boxes are available to download from Qobuz at 16 € a box - 20+ CDs per box. Details here...

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality 24-Bit Hi-Res
                          Steve

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Has anyone had any joy yet with the All Baroque Box ?

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                              Has anyone had any joy yet with the All Baroque Box ?
                              I was slow to get on to this, and now it seems that the offer was too good to be true. Bit sad - but I didn't place an order, which may have saved me from some grief, and indeed I might consider the box at a higher price if it can actually be delivered, though I wonder if I may have some of the recordings already.

I'll keep watching, though.

Comment

• jut1972
                                • Jun 2013

Rarewaves have told me they don't have it.

Comment

Working...
                                X