X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I'm sure it has HDMI out - see http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/specs.html It should also have an Ethernet connector, which can take a load off wireless networks. Some wireless only devices can have problems with video if everything is done wirelessly - just think about how much data has to be shifted for HD video, and if there's video being transferred both in and out via a single wireless router than can bottleneck. If one device is put on wired Ethernet that'll help, and if all the devices (e.g media server, player devices) on are wired networks, then bottleneck problems should be reduced or avoided.

Most of the reports I've read suggest it is really easy to set up, and if you have newish and compatible kit should go really well. I think the iPhone you mention is new enough for it to be useful. Many users seem to rate it highly, though if you bought one and didn't like it you could return it to Apple, or sell it on eBay. For my part, I hear it gives some benefits with early iPads, of which I have one (and Mrs D has another) - but is better with 2nd generation upwards. However it should work with other laptops and kit we have - Macbook Pro, and Macbook Air. None Apple users may find these less useful.

I have even heard it's good for audio. Note the optical audio out which can be used to feed a DAC.

Today is the day for reduced prices - though some stores may keep them low for longer. As Bryn has suggested, there may be new models coming, but I'd be very surprised if there are new ones before Christmas, or even into the first three months or so of next year. I'm waiting for Frances to come and tell us that we'll be buying in to Apple's walled garden. That is true - and one will have to decide whether to go with that or avoid altogether. Sometimes even a walled garden is better than no garden at all.

I'd PM you, but I've still not fixed my mailbox problems - been too busy and also too ill with nasty coughs and colds lately. I'll do it soon(ish).
    Thanks for the detailed response, Dave. I may get a cheapie laptop for other reasons and that will allow me to get my Apple video content onto my TV

Comment

• Stunsworth
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
      Sounds tempting especially since Mrs Broucek's iPhone 5 has the new, video-unfriendly connector (don't get me started....). Does anyone have a view on how easy Apple TV is to set up? And does it have HDMI out?
      Risking the wrath of the moderators, it has HDMI out. There is also an optical digital out and an Ethernet connection..

it can stream music/videos from you iTunes library, or directly from the phone using Airplay.

Very easy to to set up. I use mine a lot.
      Steve

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Oh dear - I'm waiting for am51 to come back again! Better put up some more CD or DVD recommendations quick.

Comment

• amateur51

Oh dear - I'm waiting for am51 to come back again. Better put up some more CD or DVD recommendations quick.
          Be fair! There is a techie thread for this too

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I agree - the main reason for my original post in this area was because I thought offers on the product would be time limited with a short window.
            Other (further) discussion can be in the techie thread for that purpose.

Comment

• mathias broucek
              • Nov 2010

I agree - the main reason for my original post in this area was because I thought offers on the product would be time limited with a short window.
              Other (further) discussion can be in the techie thread for that purpose.

I think it's in the right place - it's a bargain! However, I would draw attention to the new Giulini reissues

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                I think it's in the right place - it's a bargain! However, I would draw attention to the new Giulini reissues

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ni%20centenary

Thar be treasure, me 'earties

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Thar be treasure, me 'earties
                  But treasure ruthlessly dismembered in the Chicago set WHY can't they grasp that they lose sales if they chop works across CDs?

Or am I really the only one driven up the wall by this?
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                    But treasure ruthlessly dismembered in the Chicago set WHY can't they grasp that they lose sales if they chop works across CDs?

I agree ... but then I hadn't yet succumbed to the Chicago set

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post

I doubt you are. I also have a pet hate related to such splitting. Mahler's 3rd is so often split over two discs with no consideration for its structure. Mahler was quite clear that Part 1 consisted of the first movement, the other five comprising Part 2, yet all to often the split is made before the fnale, or worse still at the cusp between the second and third, or third and fourth, movements.

I tend to rip such discs and recompile onto CD-Rs.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Used to drive me up the wall too. "Bargain" 2 CD sets where 3 CDs would have got each work complete on a single CD (each). Sibelius and Tchaikovsky symphony sets often had this.

At least we don't often get breaks actually in movements nowadays. Wasn't there an LP which had a strange track layout to avoid a break, and/or also end of side distortion, so you had to turn it over a couple of times, and try launching the pickup half way through at least one side?

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Used to drive me up the wall too. "Bargain" 2 CD sets where 3 CDs would have got each work complete on a single CD (each). Sibelius and Tchaikovsky symphony sets often had this.

At least we don't often get breaks actually in movements nowadays. Wasn't there an LP which had a strange track layout to avoid a break, and/or also end of side distortion, so you had to turn it over a couple of times, and try launching the pickup half way through at least one side?
                          The Saga LP of Beethoven's Op. 106 (Louis Kentner) had the 4th and 1st movements on side A and the 2nd and 3rd on side B. Very sensible arrangement, I thought.
                          Last edited by Bryn; 10-12-14, 12:03. Reason: Much delayed correction of typo.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Loughran's recording with the Hallé of the Eroica on ENIGMA did this (to accommodate all the repeats without a break in the middle of the funeral march) - IIRC, their Schubert Great C major Symphony was also so packaged. Not ideal, but better than the break in the middle of a movement that was sometimes preferred - AND needlessly replicated on the cassette release, too (Bernstein's Faust Symphony on DGG, for example: three minutes' side run-off on side A with the remaining two minutes of the movement at the start of side B)!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                              • Nov 2010

For fans of HD downloads, BIS and/or Harmonia Mundi, the excellent e-classical.com are having a pre-Christmas "bargain-a-day" download. See:

eClassical Christmas Calendar 2022 We are celebrating 23 years(!) in business this december with our traditional special pre-Christmas promotion. Every day in December you

About £6 for a 24 bit download is a bit of a bargain

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                The Sage LP of Beethoven's Op. 106 (Louis Kentner) had the 4th and 1st movements on side A and the 2nd and 3rd on side B. Very sensible arrangement, I thought.
                                My first encounter with the Hammerklavier, bought in a sale for a couple of pennies in 1972.
                                I recall vividly reading and re-reading the tracks on the sleeve before I realized what had happened-and more importantly why .
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-12-13, 00:13. Reason: grammar

Comment

Working...
                                X