• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Sorry a51, it was indeed the only one when I got to it.
    Walter/Mozart order cancelled by trader. Supposedly "out of stock". Oh yeh?!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Walter/Mozart order cancelled by trader. Supposedly "out of stock". Oh yeh?!
      What a stumblebum, eh Bryn

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

This Handel set is now very cheap - http://www.selections.com/handel-masterworks-10cds.html £5.99

I've probably got some of those performances already in other boxes, but at under £6 this could be a good buy for some, and I might even consider
        it myself - depending on overlap with previous purchases.

There is the additional postage to add on, but if there's anything else of interest in the store, the per box or per CD cost can be reduced.

Comment

• muzzer
          • Nov 2013

What a great site. http://www.selections.com/helene-gri...tion-5cds.html

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            It is sir ......arrived today .....wonderful ....

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
              they do have good stuff from time to time.

Anybody got this lot, from the ever popular Mr Liszt?
              A wide range of Gardening, home accessories, wildlife and bird care products, outdoor leisure and games.

Any thoughts on the quality of the Historical recordings?
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• muzzer
                • Nov 2013

No, but good review on amazon tho not much about the historical recordings. I have the Rach box in the same series, which is great. That price is too good to pass up.

Comment

• Stephen Smith

I'm not a devotee of pianoforte, but I think some members are..... Its a download:-

Mozart - Complete Keyboard Sonatas & Variations - Brautigam, Ronald
                  $36.66 (10 discs, it says) available for "about a week" according to the banner on the home page.

This album features Ronald Brautigam performing the complete piano sonatas of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart on a fortepiano. The recordings were made in August 1996 at Lanna Church,

Comment

• robk
                    • Nov 2010

Linn are doing a similar offer to last year. A free studiomaster download track each day from 1st December. There were a couple of gems last time - Spem in Alium for example with Magnificat

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

See the Techie thread - http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...511#post355511
                      Apple TVs are £84 today - from the Apple Store.

PS: Might be even cheaper (under £77) at Amazon - see http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...529#post355529

Apparently a number of shops and online stores are having Black Friday deals right now.

Now back to CDs etc.
                      Last edited by Dave2002; 29-11-13, 12:22.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        See the Techie thread - http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...511#post355511
                        Apple TVs are £84 today - from the Apple Store.

PS: Might be even cheaper (under £77) at Amazon - see http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...529#post355529

Apparently a number of shops and online stores are having Black Friday deals right now.

Now back to CDs etc.
                        Sounds tempting especially since Mrs Broucek's iPhone 5 has the new, video-unfriendly connector (don't get me started....). Does anyone have a view on how easy Apple TV is to set up? And does it have HDMI out?

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                          Sounds tempting especially since Mrs Broucek's iPhone 5 has the new, video-unfriendly connector (don't get me started....). Does anyone have a view on how easy Apple TV is to set up? And does it have HDMI out?
                          I'm sure it has HDMI out - see http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/specs.html It should also have an Ethernet connector, which can take a load off wireless networks. Some wireless only devices can have problems with video if everything is done wirelessly - just think about how much data has to be shifted for HD video, and if there's video being transferred both in and out via a single wireless router than can bottleneck. If one device is put on wired Ethernet that'll help, and if all the devices (e.g media server, player devices) on are wired networks, then bottleneck problems should be reduced or avoided.

Most of the reports I've read suggest it is really easy to set up, and if you have newish and compatible kit should go really well. I think the iPhone you mention is new enough for it to be useful. Many users seem to rate it highly, though if you bought one and didn't like it you could return it to Apple, or sell it on eBay. For my part, I hear it gives some benefits with early iPads, of which I have one (and Mrs D has another) - but is better with 2nd generation upwards. However it should work with other laptops and kit we have - Macbook Pro, and Macbook Air. None Apple users may find these less useful.

I have even heard it's good for audio. Note the optical audio out which can be used to feed a DAC.

Today is the day for reduced prices - though some stores may keep them low for longer. As Bryn has suggested, there may be new models coming, but I'd be very surprised if there are new ones before Christmas, or even into the first three months or so of next year. I'm waiting for Frances to come and tell us that we'll be buying in to Apple's walled garden. That is true - and one will have to decide whether to go with that or avoid altogether. Sometimes even a walled garden is better than no garden at all.

I'd PM you, but I've still not fixed my mailbox problems - been too busy and also too ill with nasty coughs and colds lately. I'll do it soon(ish).

Comment

• amateur51

With the best will in the world I cannot see how the recent posts about Apple TVs, etc come under the Bargains thread of the CD Review part of the Board.

Can we get back to Bargain CDs/downloads please?

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              With the best will in the world I cannot see how the recent posts about Apple TVs, etc come under the Bargains thread of the CD Review part of the Board.

Can we get back to Bargain CDs/downloads please?
                              OK OK OK!

I previously mentioned Handel from Selections - still at £5.99. msg 3618 - http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...891#post354891

Now they also have a Mendelssohn box for £6.99.
                              My comments on this one are similar to my earlier comments re Handel - I've probably got most of the CDs already, unless Brilliant have updated/repackaged the box - but I think some of the performances are good. I'd have to cross check against an earlier box set I have.

"Everyone" knows one or two Mendelssohn symphonies. The piano trios are worth hearing. I don't know the piano sextet. This box does not have the string quartets, including the one which I've previously christened "all the Beethoven quartets you ever need to hear"! Mendelssohn is a composer who wrote more good music than most of us are aware of. If you need a wider selection this box is not for you, neither will it float your boat if you only want to hear Midsummer Night's Dream and the Italian Symphony and the Hebrides overture.

A wide range of Gardening, home accessories, wildlife and bird care products, outdoor leisure and games.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                OK OK OK!
                                Thanking you!

Comment

Working...
                                X