X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stephen Whitaker

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
    Clemens Krauss Ring Cycle - Plan C?

21.99 euros + 3.00 euros p&p. The useful Amazon comparison site Pricenoia gives this as £23.52.

However, this is the Opera D'Oro version (the box states Made in China). I don't know how this compares sound-wise to the Archipel version. There is, of course, the Orfeo version new for 43 quid.

Anyone have this set and can vouch for the sound? Will we get stung by import duties (Bryn)?

You do not have to go to foreign sites.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-13, 10:59. Reason: extra link

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post

However, this is the Opera D'Oro version (the box states Made in China). I don't know how this compares sound-wise to the Archipel version. There is, of course, the Orfeo version new for 43 quid.

Anyone have this set and can vouch for the sound?
      ... I have the Opera d'Oro 14 CD set - and to my ears the sound is fine. Indeed I find that this is the Ring which I listen to most (from the dozen or more on the shelves): I recommend it unreservedly.

My Opera d' Oro box says 'manufactured in the US' - so not sure about the 'made in China' bit.

Comment

• Stephen Smith

You do not have to go to foreign sites.[/QUOTE]

Be warned - the Rodolphe set (with "monophone" flash in red on cover) requires a lead and switch to select one of the mono channels to go forward to your amplifier as dual channel mono (that is, the CD will deliver 2 separate music tracks if replayed straight thru a stereo system). It came with the lead/switch.

I had it, and was unwilling to leave the switch in my system for the benefit of one set. Can't recall the sound, and at that stage was not able to appreciate the music as much as now. .
        Last edited by Guest; 08-11-13, 11:48. Reason: Typos

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stephen Smith View Post
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Nibel...ds=RING+KRAUSS
          You do not have to go to foreign sites.

Be warned - the Rodolphe set (with "monophone" flash in red on cover) set requires a lead and switch to select one of the stereo signals to go forward to your amplifier as dual channel mono (that is, the CD will deliver 2 separate music tracks if replayed straight thru a stereo system). It came with the lead/switch.

I had it, and was unwilling to leave the switch in my system for the benefit of one set. Can't recall the sound.
          I still have this set (the lead/switch, too, somewhere!) - fantastic performance (which is why I was so keen when the new mastering came, and so disappointed when it left), but sounds like it was recorded in the Bayreuth chippy on a Friday night after closing time.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
            • Mar 2013

Much obliged to our very own green Charteuse fiend, M. Vinteuil, who put down his post-prandial glass and the sneaky kretek he was smoking behind Mme. Vinteuil's back to type this encomium.

Thanks, too, to Stephen Smith for the warning about the Rodolphe set.

I await Bryn's sage advice on potential import duty before clicking on Bestellung.
            It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

If sent from within the EU, or indeed Switzerland, there should be no problem re. import surcharges.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                If sent from within the EU, or indeed Switzerland, there should be no problem re. import surcharges.
                Thank'ee.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  I still have this set (the lead/switch, too, somewhere!) - fantastic performance (which is why I was so keen when the new mastering came, and so disappointed when it left), but sounds like it was recorded in the Bayreuth chippy on a Friday night after closing time.
                  Surely it should be possible to rip the dual mono CDs to stereo (would have to be high quality, as near bit perfect as possible i.e NOT a format such as MP3 Joint Stereo), and then just split the tracks. Shouldn't be too difficult, for example, with Audacity.
                  Last edited by Dave2002; 08-11-13, 20:20.

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

JPC has a number of substantial reductions, mainly (but not exclusively) listed in the first two pages of the following:

In addition, there is also the recently released 7cd set from Naive "Geistliche Barockmusik "Magnificat" for €20.
                    Die CD Geistliche Barockmusik "Magnificat" jetzt probehören und portofrei für 28,99 Euro kaufen.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                      JPC has a number of substantial reductions, mainly (but not exclusively) listed in the first two pages of the following:
                      Sir Colin Davis/Dresden boxed set (6CDs)

Msany thanks, as always hafod

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        Surely it should be possible to rip the dual mono CDs to stereo (would have to be high auality, as near bit perfect as possible i.e NOT a format such as MP3 Joint Stereo), and then just split the tracks. Shouldn't be too difficult, for example, with Audacity.

Excellent suggestion, Dave: could Audacity sort out the "tape hiss", too? (Comments above suggest that the sound has been much improved in subsequent remasterings.)
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Supraphon's spinetingling Dvorak Symphony No 9 with the Czech PO/Ancerl from 1961 is now available on budget version for a fiver . Much the most Czech sounding performance I have ever heard . Very refreshing,athletic and unsentimental -

Last edited by Barbirollians; 09-11-13, 00:03.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                            • Mar 2013

Reader, I ordered it.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Ditto. Thank you, Bbs!

Comment

• mathias broucek
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Sir Colin Davis/Dresden boxed set (6CDs)

Cracking Elgar 1!

Comment

Working...
                                X