X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
    The dream is over...

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to source the following item:

Varney "DER RING DES NIBELUNGEN"

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available. This item has now been cancelled from your order #204-8548034-8648365 and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

That's rotten, Throppers. This has happened to me on several occasions but then again it has also sometimes yielded a great result

It was worth the punt

Commiserations to all concerned
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-13, 16:14. Reason: commiserations; to not at

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

The dream is over...

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available. This item has now been cancelled from your order #204-8548034-8648365 and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

Plan B ??. Might try it.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Same here!

"...A glooming peace this morning with its brings;
        The sun for sorrow will not show its head,
        Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
        Some shall be pardon'd and some punished:
        For never was a story of more woe
        Than this of..." (Exeunt) R & J, Act V

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
          Same here!

"...A glooming peace this morning with its brings;
          The sun for sorrow will not show its head,
          Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
          Some shall be pardon'd and some punished:
          For never was a story of more woe
          Than this of..." (Exeunt) R & J, Act V
          There isn't enough hyperbole in the world.

Cheers for the sympathy, Amateur51. Thanks, Gurnemanz, but I was really after it on disc.
          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

The dream is over...

I'm afraid I got the same message as well. All very odd, I must say. Like Throppers I wanted the discs.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• martin_opera

I have no Itzhak Perlman in my collection but the price of the Original Jacket collection on itunes is tempting. Is it worth it £7.99 for 10CDs worth on download? Grateful for advice from those who have it on their shelves (and have listened to it!)

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

The dream is over...

Just in case anyone was thinking about the Play.com download I mentioned above ... don't bother. I got this message: The item(s) you have selected are currently not available for download.

There seems to be some kind of ...

in operation

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

PS to previous on Krauss Ring. Apologies to Play.com. After that error message, I got an email saying the download was ready and it appears to have worked! - all 1.9 gig of it. Sorry about confusion.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    PS to previous on Krauss Ring. Apologies to Play.com. After that error message, I got an email saying the download was ready and it appears to have worked! - all 1.9 gig of it. Sorry about confusion.
                    What's the sound like?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
                      I have no Itzhak Perlman in my collection but the price of the Original Jacket collection on itunes is tempting. Is it worth it £7.99 for 10CDs worth on download? Grateful for advice from those who have it on their shelves (and have listened to it!)
                      I do not know that collection martin opera but I am a great fan of Perlman . I should think your best bet would be to buy or download his CD that couples the Gramophone award winning account of the Beethoven Concerto with Giulini and the Mendelssohn in his earlier dazzling account with Previn .

If you don't like that - you won't like the rest of his work !!!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                        What's the sound like?
                        It's the first time I've done a huge opera download like this, so this was something of an experiment for me. The tracks were in the correct order but I decided to sort the 200 separate files into four operas and then had to work out the best way to play them. I bulk renamed the artist tag just to Clemens Krauss which had came with an unwieldy list of all participants on every track. To play the tracks I made each opera into a playlist which I could rightclick in Windows Media Player and use wifi to "play to" my TV's "Media Renderer", whose sound is linked to my amp. The sound is very clear and generally very good for its age (I've only sampled it so far). It sounds "enhanced" but not in a way that interferes with enjoyment. The drawback of a download like this for me is the unwieldiness of the original download (and consequent fiddling around which is required) and that, being separate files, playback between chunks (scenes) is not seamless. For those reasons I would have preferred CDs, but for £8.99 I can't really complain and it is a great recording.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                          • Nov 2010

It's the first time I've done a huge opera download like this, so this was something of an experiment for me. The tracks were in the correct order but I decided to sort the 200 separate files into four operas and then had to work out the best way to play them. I bulk renamed the artist tag just to Clemens Krauss which had came with an unwieldy list of all participants on every track. To play the tracks I made each opera into a playlist which I could rightclick in Windows Media Player and use wifi to "play to" my TV's "Media Renderer", whose sound is linked to my amp. The sound is very clear and generally very good for its age (I've only sampled it so far). It sounds "enhanced" but not in a way that interferes with enjoyment. The drawback of a download like this for me is the unwieldiness of the original download (and consequent fiddling around which is required) and that, being separate files, playback between chunks (scenes) is not seamless. For those reasons I would have preferred CDs, but for £8.99 I can't really complain and it is a great recording.
                          Thanks for the review. Absence of gapless playback probably kills it for me. (That and the fact that I already have an un-heard Ring I bought more than 6 months ago.)

Comment

• Stephen Whitaker

Plan B ??. Might try it.

other versions exist

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

I've just noticed the latest round of Sony boxes - Ormandy's Tchaikovsky box looks interesting if only for Syms 1 2 3 and Manfred which I've not come across before - I suspect that there are more Ormandy recordings which have not been issued this side of the pond and many others which have not been CD'd. The Rubinstein Piano Concerti look tantalising but I don't think the Canadian price is quite enough below the £15 HMRC threshold to risk it - Sainsbury have it at £17.99, as is the Tchaik. Finally the single CD Szell Dvo 7 looks good.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                                • Mar 2013

Clemens Krauss Ring Cycle - Plan C?

21.99 euros + 3.00 euros p&p. The useful Amazon comparison site Pricenoia gives this as £23.52.

However, this is the Opera D'Oro version (the box states Made in China). I don't know how this compares sound-wise to the Archipel version. There is, of course, the Orfeo version new for 43 quid.

Anyone have this set and can vouch for the sound? Will we get stung by import duties (Bryn)?
                                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                                X