X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    Krauss 1953 Bayreuth Ring (Archipel) £11.99. (50 quid at MDT).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/RING-NIBELUN...ds=krauss+ring
    Hafod strikes again! Fantastic stuff! I already have the Rheingold from this set (it appears in the Wagner's Vision box - itself an incredible bargain) but at this price I'd be a fool not to order, so - duly ordered.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Re. Naxos, see http://www.europadisc.co.uk/information/227/Naxos.htm

If you want to buy more than 8 Naxos CDs, (or any combination of purchases amounting to more than £35) you get free p&p.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Krauss 1953 Bayreuth Ring (Archipel) £11.99. (50 quid at MDT).
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/RING-NIBELUN...ds=krauss+ring
        ... you lucky people, to have the chance to get this so cheap! I can't remember how much I paid for the Allegro / Opera d'Oro box of this - a lot more...

As the Rough Guide says : "an exhilarating ride, lifted into a very special class by the quality of the singing. On balance, this is the most impressively cast Ring you can get. Outstanding contributions include a young, remarkably weighty Siegfried from Windgassen, a threatening Wotan from Hans Hotter, an explosive Siegmund from Ramon Vinay, and a heart-stopping Brunnhilde from Astrid Varnay, one of the greatest Wagner sopranos... "

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... you lucky people, to have the chance to get this so cheap! I can't remember how much I paid for the Allegro / Opera d'Oro box of this - a lot more...

As the Rough Guide says : "an exhilarating ride, lifted into a very special class by the quality of the singing. On balance, this is the most impressively cast Ring you can get. Outstanding contributions include a young, remarkably weighty Siegfried from Windgassen, a threatening Wotan from Hans Hotter, an explosive Siegmund from Ramon Vinay, and a heart-stopping Brunnhilde from Astrid Varnay, one of the greatest Wagner sopranos... "
          Presto have this on the Orfeo label for £73!
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Hafod strikes again! Fantastic stuff! I already have the Rheingold from this set (it appears in the Wagner's Vision box - itself an incredible bargain) but at this price I'd be a fool not to order, so - duly ordered.
            I went through the same mental process and did the same as you despite futile vows to rein myself in. The price seems like a mistake which of course makes the purchase even more attractive.

Comment

• AmpH
              • Feb 2012

Helene Grimaud 5 CD set just over £7 new, looks pretty good.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I am tempted to order these CDs by Peter Dickinson:

A wide range of Gardening, home accessories, wildlife and bird care products, outdoor leisure and games.

A wide range of Gardening, home accessories, wildlife and bird care products, outdoor leisure and games.

There is a bit of a story. Peter Dickinson's Organ and Piano concertos were released quite a while back to some critical acclaim,
                and I had the LP for one of my much earlier birthdays. However, I think even before I received it, Mrs D. had seen it remaindered in a shop
                for not a lot. Bit sad really - but we have laughed about this one. Now here they are, going round again.

I didn't play the LP much, but at such low prices the CDs could be worth a punt.

Comment

• soileduk
                  • Nov 2010

ANTHOLOGY OF THE RCO

Volumes 5, 6 & 7 of this wonderful series are available from Amazon.de for €13.51, 19.62 & 19.62!!p

It can't last and may not be honoured but worth a punt.

Just put 'Anthology of the RCO' into the search box and each box comes up in order (I am not posting a link as it may throw up my details as I have just placed an order).

Good hunting!

Stop Press: Vol 4 at Amazon.uk for £12.71 altho' listed 'temporarily out of stock' - sometimes a bad sign.
                  Nice heads-up Hafod, Vol5 and Vol6 due this Friday to keep my Vol7 company.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

At the current amazon.de prices, truly one of the great bargains of our time, even allowing for postage (the £ is a bit stronger against the € at the moment so even more of snip at the price). My Vols 6 & 7 are in France, Vol 5 in Scotland so I've just ordered another Vol 5 for France. I just cannot resist a bargain, even if the 2 - 4 weeks delivery predicted for Vol 5* might be an ominous sign of that volume now also having run out. As ever, I - if not my bank balance - am deeply indebted to Hafod, the bargain-hunters' bargain-hunter.

*Edit: now 2 days so copies do exist - €13.41 for 14CDs and some excellent performances, in fine sound
                    Last edited by HighlandDougie; 01-10-13, 18:17.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                      • Nov 2010

Yes I had the good news that Vols 6-7 would arrive earlier than anticipated - estimated Friday!

Can't believe what I paid for Vol 5 a few years ago.....

Comment

• Madame Suggia
                        • Sep 2012

I can't thank you enough Hafod!

I;ve never owned any of these Concertgebouw sets so I took the plunge after reading about them for so long on these forums and ordered volume 5 from Germany

I'm sooo excited!!! )

Comment

• amateur51

A satisfyingly substantial box arrived this morning, containing volumes 5, 6 and 7 of the RCOA Anthologies as spotted by hafod - you are a star, Sir

Comment

• reinerfan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            A satisfyingly substantial box arrived this morning, containing volumes 5, 6 and 7 of the RCOA Anthologies as spotted by hafod - you are a star, Sir
                            Absolutely! Mine are on their way.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Apologies if this is the wrong place, but I couldn't figure out where to put Jazz bargains. Having fairly recently bought a 4 CD set of Jimmy Smith (the Back at the Chicken Shack box - Membran), when I was asked to review my purchase I found this 10 CD set - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kind-Smith-J...ds=smith+jimmy which seems like an even bigger bargain, if the transfers are OK, and of course if the music floats your boat. Works out at under £1/CD at the current price of £8.99.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                                • Mar 2013

Quatuor Mosaiques: Mozart K. 575, 590 (OOP in the UK): €1.43 + P&P = £4.

Try before you buy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvjwS...B0DD55C4A744A5
                                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                                X